Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Music
Christian Music
Current Christians: What are your favorite hymns/worship songs? What emotions do they evoke within you?

Former Christians: What were your favorite worship songs? When thinking back to/listening to it now, what emotion is evoked? What did you feel back then compared to now?

When I was a Christian, I preferred the "old timey" stuff due to its lyrical depth. I always had a problem with those who embraced "gifts of the spirit", so repetitive hymns that were meant to trigger tongue-speaking episodes always ruffled m'feathers. Not only that, they annoyed me badly.
RE: Christian Music
Never been a christian...but, it depends on what I'm working with.  If all you've got is a couple of peeps, a guitar, and a mic, you can't beat bluegrass devotionals.  Now...if you can arrange for an organ and a full choir...you'd be a fool not to.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
May I link a video that isn't mine? It's just a hymn I'd like to show you. Good old southern baptist music.
We've got a forum playlist thread for it.  I've been known to post gospel music...still haven't been tarred and feathered for it.  Knock yourself out.
(it better be purty, purty like we like it)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'll post it as a reply here, and there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67Lb1RyXTU

Good Old Tennessee Ernie Ford
Honestly, I listen to a fair amount of religious music. I just ask my religious music the same thing I ask of my secular music: something either nice or interesting to listen to.

For instance, here's the last album I listened to, The Gospel at Colonus. As bizarre as the idea of taking the black sheep of Sophocles' Theban trilogy, turning it into a gospel musical, and having the Blind Boys at Alabama play Oedipus, (Yes, all of them, simultaneously) is, it's still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZyQP_zrD2U

Granted, a lot of the stuff I had to listen to at church is boring.

And now for a quote from Bob Dylan:

Bob Dylan Wrote:“Here’s the thing with me and the religious thing. This is the flat-out truth: I find the religiosity and philosophy in the music. I don’t find it anywhere else. Songs like “Let Me Rest on a Peaceful Mountain” or “I Saw the Light”—that’s my religion. I don’t adhere to rabbis, preachers, evangelists, all of that. I’ve learned more from the songs than I’ve learned from any of this kind of entity. The songs are my lexicon. I believe the songs.”

It also helps that one of my favourite films includes a hymn as a major motif:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9LnkKQfuc
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I consider myself fairly versatile when it comes to music.
Maybe I have an illness coming on and that's the reason I vomited all over myself.

Sorry, that was a bit rude wasn't it.
Carry on, don't mind me.
A lot of that old-timey shit gives me the f*ckin creeps; Even did as a believer, it did. The monotonous drone/chanting has a sinister quality to it, IMO; It brings uncompromising, blind obedience to mind. I can't even listen to a second of Bringing in the Sheaves without being reminded of Children of the Corn.

Even in regards to more contemporary Christian music, I find something disturbing/unsettling about chanting words of worship to some thing ; A wee bit primitive, scary, and crazy.

Ick.
https://youtu.be/kuEuY4BUMfM
I prefer old school gospel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88792 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Angry pastor warns Katy Perry’s devil sex music is preparing teens for the Antichrist abaris 60 12604 March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7404 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  The Anti-Christ announcing himself via pop music! TaraJo 3 2697 December 31, 2012 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6322 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej