Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ramadan...
Ramadan...
So, PBS posted a nice article on the upcoming Ramadan observance this month and... in reading it I came across something a little disturbing (well more disturbing than the obvious):

"JASMIN ULLAH: It’s — you’re supposed to start fasting when you hit puberty, so for guys and girls it’s different ages.

SAKINA AHMAD: I started my fast when I was six. It was hard. I kept on breaking it by accident."

Okay, since when do girls hit puberty at age 6? And is it not child abuse if you starve your 6-year-old child for more than 12 hours a day for an entire month? It's one thing for this to happen in Muslim countries, but how is that okay in Western civs?

*puzzled*

RE: Ramadan...
What's the point of Ramadan anyway?
no no no that "age 6" rule is just for fucking them. They dont really have to fast, they are just children after all.. you see islam is a peaceful religion.
Quote: What's the point of Ramadan anyway?
lol are you looking for a reason? How about that; do as I command or I will throw you to hell!
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
(August 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm)darkwolf176 Wrote: What's the point of Ramadan anyway?

There are a couple. It is supposedly the time where Muhammad got the first verses of the Qur'an revealed to him. In the tradition the Muslims abstain from food, drink and sex from sunrise to sunset. Which would be a problem if you are a Muslim on the north pole at the moment. But they made a special rule for that and take the sunrise to sunset of Mecca as a guide for these special circumstances. Same with Muslims in space exploration. The Ramadan is meant to devote more time to worship and honor their god. It is also supposed to purify the body and the soul.

After the fasting the celebration of Eid ul-Fitr (a bit like the Roman catholic Carnaval) where food is given to the poor and everybody dresses up in their best clothes and have a great time. The Muslims here also refer to this as the sugar-feast.

There are many religions with similar rituals. The suffering endured strengthens the bond one has with their deity and the religious community. It is a very powerful tool in the arsenal of religion actually.

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 10, 2010 at 5:29 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(August 9, 2010 at 12:01 pm)darkwolf176 Wrote: What's the point of Ramadan anyway?

There are a couple. It is supposedly the time where Muhammad got the first verses of the Qur'an revealed to him. In the tradition the Muslims abstain from food, drink and sex from sunrise to sunset. Which would be a problem if you are a Muslim on the north pole at the moment. But they made a special rule for that and take the sunrise to sunset of Mecca as a guide for these special circumstances. Same with Muslims in space exploration. The Ramadan is meant to devote more time to worship and honor their god. It is also supposed to purify the body and the soul.

After the fasting the celebration of Eid ul-Fitr (a bit like the Roman catholic Carnaval) where food is given to the poor and everybody dresses up in their best clothes and have a great time. The Muslims here also refer to this as the sugar-feast.

There are many religions with similar rituals. The suffering endured strengthens the bond one has with their deity and the religious community. It is a very powerful tool in the arsenal of religion actually.

Yeah...

Just like christmas.... funny how it moves through the year though. i am thinking that is due to the 13 month lunar calendar used??Thinking

After thought....

every society has a celebration to mark the "turning of the year"

Also of the opinion that the Solar worship is alive and well and living in the 21st Century....

just a thought Thinking
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(August 10, 2010 at 5:34 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: i am thinking that is due to the 13 month lunar calendar used??Thinking

Yes, no accounting for leap years and seconds and so on, so it gradually moves along our Gregorian calendar dates.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(August 10, 2010 at 5:38 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(August 10, 2010 at 5:34 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: i am thinking that is due to the 13 month lunar calendar used??Thinking

Yes, no accounting for leap years and seconds and so on, so it gradually moves along our Gregorian calendar dates.

So not unlike the Witches, Pagan, Aztec, Mayan and other "primitive" calendars that have been used in the past by very observant hominids....

Thought so. Just making sure we are placing Islam in it's correct evolutionary context. funny about the Xtian calendar tho....Confused Fall

Tnx leo-rcc
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You think that one is funny, the French Republican Calendar is a really funny one and a classical example of a bad calendar system. Smile
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Pastafarian
(August 10, 2010 at 5:45 am)leo-rcc Wrote: You think that one is funny, the French Republican Calendar is a really funny one and a classical example of a bad calendar system. Smile

Really??

I'll have to look that one up next time i have a break...tnx leo-rcc....

*as we steer this thread into the exploration of human attempts at trapping and defining time, the stars and their movements.....Clap
I prefer Ram-a-lam-a-Ding-Dong.

Big Grin

(That reference is probably a little too ancient for most of you youngsters!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KStsPPgeka4

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ramadan 2019: a late congratulation WinterHold 6 1618 May 15, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Happy Ramadan Fasting yragnitup 15 2177 May 8, 2019 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: madog
  The problem with Ramadan CapnAwesome 30 7241 January 29, 2018 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  RAMADAN: wonder how many girl MUTILATIONS were done in the name of Allah? 21stCenturyIconoclast! 13 5087 June 27, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  An ex-muslim fasting ramadan Lebneni Murtad 15 6876 June 17, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Ramadan has come. WinterHold 36 10885 May 29, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Understanding the Ramadan Massacre in Orlando (David Wood) mralstoner 32 6775 June 18, 2016 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Part of the Ummah and serve alcohol during Ramadan? We kill you! ReptilianPeon 1 1086 June 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm
  Ramadan on Luna or in the Arctic Circle? ReptilianPeon 21 5427 June 22, 2015 at 3:21 am
  Mental Tricks in Islam : Ramadan Fasting exMohammed 2 2387 August 17, 2014 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: ShaMan