Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:21 pm

Poll: How does your religious past make you feel?
This poll is closed.
Fucken annoyed
34.62%
9 34.62%
Nostalgic
3.85%
1 3.85%
Both of the above
15.38%
4 15.38%
No particular way
38.46%
10 38.46%
Swaggin
7.69%
2 7.69%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ghost of Churchy Past
The Ghost of Churchy Past
For those that were religious before: 
Endearing or fucken annoying? Do you remember your church days with nostalgia, or does it make you want to slap your previous self? Do you remember Sunday service and smile, or roll your eyes in annoyance?

I still sing gospel songs on my way back from work sometimes. I can remember some stuff and laugh. For the most part, however, my religious past makes me feel repulsed and annoyed. It's rare when I see people from church and feel endearment. Usually they piss me off just for standing there. I know how it sounds. I just severely, utterly, and richly hate the fact that I wasted my childhood and youth sitting in church instead of learning important things or being a kid while kicking a ball. Efff. 

So, love it or hate it? Miss it or relieved? Both? What is it?

(Just remembering my last pastor makes me want to beat him up)
Oh, and no. I'm not atheist because of resentment. The feeling of repulse came AFTER I realized how stupid it all was. So before anyone goes there, staaaaaaahp.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: The Ghost of Churchy Past
I answered both of the above (you're the only one who makes me feel swaggin' Heart) because the dad church experience was ridiculous, but the mom church experience was somewhat lovely. I miss singing Ave Maria at Christmas service, and, actually, singing at church in general. I do not miss the indoctrination and veiled abuse that came with my dad's church.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
To me its clear now, that atheism seeks comfortable life for the most part. Theists, seems to have an epic, sentimental, brave, idealistic, utopian, martyr view on the world "Serve God or death" kinda desperate stuff. Its noble and honorable, but omg, you have to sacrifice alot for abstract "higher goals", when right here and now, your in constant thirst for more money and pleasure.
(July 17, 2016 at 3:26 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I answered both of the above (you're the only one who makes me feel swaggin' Heart) because the dad church experience was ridiculous, but the mom church experience was somewhat lovely. I miss singing Ave Maria at Christmas service, and, actually, singing at church in general. I do not miss the indoctrination and veiled abuse that came with my dad's church.
You can sing to me Ave Maria, or anything you want. I'm actually kinda curious.  Smile
(July 17, 2016 at 3:33 pm)purplepurpose Wrote: To me its clear now, that atheism seeks comfortable life for the most part. Theists, seems to have an epic, sentimental, brave, idealistic, utopian, martyr view on the world "Serve God or death" kinda desperate stuff. Its noble and honorable, but omg, you have to sacrifice alot for abstract "higher goals", when right here and now, your in constant thirst for more money and pleasure.
Judging by your vote, you were religious. Which religion? How long? I was a protestant. 20 years, or so.
(July 17, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Mamacita Wrote:
(July 17, 2016 at 3:26 pm)The_Empress Wrote: I answered both of the above (you're the only one who makes me feel swaggin' Heart) because the dad church experience was ridiculous, but the mom church experience was somewhat lovely. I miss singing Ave Maria at Christmas service, and, actually, singing at church in general. I do not miss the indoctrination and veiled abuse that came with my dad's church.
You can sing to me Ave Maria, or anything you want. I'm actually kinda curious.  Smile

Maybe one day! I've gotta get back to that side of the country first Smile
(July 17, 2016 at 3:37 pm)The_Empress Wrote:
(July 17, 2016 at 3:34 pm)Mamacita Wrote: You can sing to me Ave Maria, or anything you want. I'm actually kinda curious.  :)

Maybe one day! I've gotta get back to that side of the country first :)

:(
(July 17, 2016 at 3:38 pm)Mamacita Wrote:
(July 17, 2016 at 3:37 pm)The_Empress Wrote: Maybe one day! I've gotta get back to that side of the country first Smile

Sad

No frowny face!  I'm working on it!

(I hope you have fun with your mama, BTW)
I always hated church. Likely due to the fact that Pentecostal services are painfully long; 3-4 hours of Hot, Loud, and Boring.
I stopped attending years before becoming a non-believer.
Had to go with "no particular way". Just wasn't that big a deal and I wasn't brought there after school started .. I don't think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How were past times so violent? Macoleco 17 1111 April 19, 2020 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1167 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 520 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Ghost Busters 2 - End of the world dyresand 4 893 February 15, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Favorite Halloween Ghost Stories BrokenQuill92 3 1316 October 22, 2015 at 1:10 am
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Do you care about your significant other's sexual past? CapnAwesome 187 19051 August 7, 2015 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Some thoughts about my girlfriend's sexual past pauloroberts 265 25853 May 21, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Do you care about your significant others sexual past with a poll. paulpablo 63 9561 May 3, 2015 at 11:38 am
Last Post: c172
  Live in the past movie, tv show, video game, you played. dyresand 19 2908 March 3, 2015 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Shots from the Past: Service Members BlackSwordsman 7 1661 June 14, 2014 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Dragonetti