Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm not afraid of terrorism, are you?
I'm not afraid of terrorism, are you?
I was reading a pew research poll where they asked the top voting issues and was shocked to find terrorism is #2. Whilel I think that Islam is a massive threat to the world and brings misery and instability to Millions and millions of people, I don't think that terrorism is hardly a problem at all. Islam is a problem because of war, because of the repression of women's rights and human rights. Islam is a problem because it contradicts free speech and the seperation of Church and state. They aren't a problem because of terrorism. Or rather in the west they aren't a problem because of terrorism. If you live in Baghdad maybe, but if you live in Seattle or Los Angeles or Paris or London, almost anything else is more likely to kill you. I don't worry about terrorism at all, I think that's kind of the point. To not be terrorized.

While the politically correct people on the right say that you are somehow a cold insensitive asshole for not being worried or sad about terrorism, it just isn't really a problem. Almost everything is more likely to kill you then terrorism. Eating too much cake and McDonalds kills hundreds of thousands times the number of people as terrorism. Consider for a moment some of the issues that voters consider terrorism more important of an issue then. Foreign policy. That means terrorism is a more important issue then war for voters. What the fuck?

Also: Health Care, Education, the Environment and Social Security all score way below terrorism in terms of voter importance. I guess the terrorists really have won.

[Image: 4_1.png]
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: I'm not afraid of terrorism, are you?
Looking at that graph, I'd say in general my concerns go from the bottom up.
Terrorism is a great buzzword for fearmongering purposes. I mean shit, did you listen to Trump's speech last night? He made it sound like we're living in an inferno of crime, economic depression, and imminent terrorist annihilation.

For me, no, I'm not worried about 'terrorism' affecting me personally. There are plenty of places where the fear of terrorism is warranted and reasonable - it's just America isn't one of them. I have a better chance of getting killed by tripping into traffic than any sort of terrorist plot.

And the 'economy' is just going to be a perpetual item at the tops of peoples' minds. I can't recall a time when people didn't complain about the economy in some form or another - even when the statistics were great.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
No, never was, never will be.

I grew up with terrorism and in 1985 I got close enough to an attack to hear the shooting. Still, as has been said, there's more of a danger stepping into traffic.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
To be honest, having grown up in a world where Irish Catholics were a fucking nuisance on mainland UK i.e. Brighton bombings, Birmingham Pub bombings and the countless bombings in Manchester and London; I can say that it no longer bothers me. Even when there was a couple of explosions near the Stade de France in Paris a few months ago (which is only a few kms from myself), I didn't think anymore about it. You become desensitised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4EoXH1ju_0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpvfz8Ls4Y
Of course not.  Maybe if I lived in France it would bump up a bit from the bottom of the list.
Not really.

Look what happened to last asshole who attacked Glasgow.
At the risk of sounding arrogant and masturbatory, I would be interested to see the correlation (if any) between those who rank terrorism at the top of their list, and level of education, or level of world travel, or something like that.

But then again, I've never resisted being masturbatory before so..
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I fear terrorism a little bit more than I fear alien abduction.
(July 22, 2016 at 12:16 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: At the risk of sounding arrogant and masturbatory, I would be interested to see the correlation (if any) between those who rank terrorism at the top of their list, and level of education, or level of world travel, or something like that.

But then again, I've never resisted being masturbatory before so..

Don't take this the wrong way when I say that it doesn't matter if you have a PhD, MPhil or DLettres or GCSEs; terrorism is there to strike fear into everyone regardless of their level of education. However, people do become desensitised at the end of the day due to it happening on a regular basis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New mind about terrorism: useful terrorism A-g-n-o-s-t-i-c 11 1271 December 4, 2017 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  terrorism xpastor 40 4729 December 3, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Las Vegas shooting = Tea Party terrorism Ryantology 28 10127 June 22, 2014 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Ryantology