Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/liberal correlation
Atheist/liberal correlation
Hi everyone! I'm not certain whether this belongs here or in philosophy or what, but I'm going with here. I don't know if the staff here can relocate a thread, but if so feel free- just tell me where you put it!

First, thank you for the warm welcome, I am enjoying this forum very much. I've had some fascinating discussions and even a few lively arguments already- it's fantastic.

But I am baffled by the fact that it seems most atheists are liberal democrats. First, please sound off if you think this is true or false, my sample is not adequate, so far I just have a vague impression. I know other atheists here in Texas, but of course they are all Republican...perhaps due to the state law that requires us to kill and eat liberals on sight. You know us Texans!

If this is true...why? All of the republicans I know here, with the exception of older mexican women and various other random folks (this may sound racist or like a generalization, but if you know elderly Mexican women...devoutly Catholic and steadfast in their faith, at least here in Texas) are science oriented. They go to church, but they don't discount science. How they justify the two is beyond me, but they manage. After all, we have NASA here, many defense contractors building high tech aircraft, tanks weapons, ordnance, etc. I don't think Texas Republicans are quite like the rest of the country, from what I've heard. I was taught evolution in school, the prevailing wisdom was that evolution was the school's job, while the church handled creationism. It was simple.

It seems so odd to me that the money grubbing, warmongering Republicans who want everything to be up to personal responsibility believe in a God, while the touchy-feely let's feed everyone for free and sing Kumbahyah believe in science. (Hopefully you all get that I'm creating sort of a textual caricature here, with obvious exaggeration just for the fun of it)

But it does seem out of character, to me. You'd think the group that was materialistic and harsh and war happy (to a degree anyway...I know we are) would be the ones NOT wanting a God to judge them as they climbed to the top of their profession, stomping on the necks of their peers, or fought a war over petroleum.

Maybe it's just me. I'm Republican and I'm about as atheist as it's possible to be. Religious folks freak me out- I see natives in loincloths dancing around a fire chanting a song that will make the crops grow, whenever I hear a church sermon. It's WEIRD, and unhealthy, at this stage of our development, to believe in an invisible being who not only created the universe, but concerns itself with the individual lives of some dust mites on a ball of dirt somewhere in the back corner of a garage 1000 miles away. How in the name of Orville Reddenbacker can an otherwise intelligent person believe such drivel? Do they not grasp the sheer size of the galaxy, much less the universe?

Ok, I'm wandering off topic a bit, I get a little passionate about this. So consider this a thread with a broad topic. I'd like to hear folks' thoughts on all of this. Including you creepy people  Tongue  I love you all even if I do find your belief system hard to swallow.

(Note- I think I'm funny, for some reason. Please don't take offense at anything, I'm just being charmingly irreverent) (I think I'm charming, too. Dunno why)

Discuss.

Things are a lot more like they used to be, than they are now. Cool
RE: Atheist/liberal correlation
I'm left of centre.

Slightly socially liberal with a mix of fiscal egalitarianism.

I believe in being given freedom, but being personally responsible for yourself - within reason.
[Image: sig_zpsf1akqqpa.png]
No offense taken. I'm an atheist, and I am not a liberal democrat. I prefer to think of myself as being somewhat to the political left of Andrew Little.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
social liberal, coming to appreciate austere fiscal conservatism
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm atheist. I have no idea what to class myself on the political spectrum, but definitely not a liberal.
I'm an atheist and I'd vote Trump.
Most of the rest here not old enough to remember during Tricky Dickie's final days in office, Secretary of Defense (Laird as I recall) requested the Joint Chiefs of Staff and/or SAC to alert him if any 'unusual' orders came in from the White House.

History doesn't record what the pay off was had such an order materialized, I'm thinking someone would have dispatched a round or 2 in an appropriate direction, but we'll never know.

Any how, the point being, the system has ways of protecting itself from the likes of Hill or Don . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Vorlon13

Interesting...I'm really baffled by this. Thanks for the reply.

As for fiscal conservatism, my own jury is still out, it's pretty complex stuff for just an old pilot to figure out. I have read negatives though, to wit:

In late 2012, the IMF’s chief economist, Olivier Blanchard, went so far as to issue what amounted to a mea culpa: although his organisation never bought into the notion that austerity would actually boost economic growth, the IMF now believes that it massively understated the damage that spending cuts inflict on a weak economy.

Another interesting topic...

Things are a lot more like they used to be, than they are now. Cool
(July 22, 2016 at 5:07 pm)Napoléon Wrote: I'm an atheist and I'd vote Trump.

You serious about the Trump thing?

Honestly, I can never really tell with you when it comes to him. Tongue
I might lean liberal socially. I am attached to the LGBT movement, and feel like that is because I am an atheist. After all, it is the religious nuts that often push their hatred hardest, and act like they have justification for it. As far as affirmative action...well...I'd love to see an end to it, but at the same time, "be careful what you wish for. It may come true." We likely need it to some extent. I grew up in white 'burbs. I don't know the other side of the fence too well, so I can't really argue for them. I can only try my best to listen. But I think in general all races are too fixated on skin color. I'd rather let most of  chips fall where they may.

#alllivesmatter, btw

I am an avid follower of certain women's sports. However, I cringe when a woman acts like she has reason to hate all men. However, some men will take advantage of male privilege without really meaning to. I know I'm guilty.

As far as budget goes, I need a pension. I cannot work. Plus society discriminates anyhow. I cannot depend on being hired even if I am best qualified. I also need infrastructure, like buses and such. We all do. That's what a government should provide to those here legally. We need to be fighting for our own people, not our allies so much. 

I would like to see a smaller military. However, we do need enough to truly defend ourselves. Not everybody likes America.

I would like to see a smaller, possibly unicameral, legislative body. That would save a lot of money. 

I would like to see pension fraud punished very, very severely. 

The stereotype is that we Atheists are all unflaggingly liberal, but I have seen lots of libertarianism and a little conservatism.

I'm Independent, and will vote Hillary (would have preferred Bernie).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  correlation between intelligence and atheism Sappho 22 4050 December 10, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Vincent
  Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence? Dystopia 40 6447 July 4, 2014 at 9:28 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  is there anyone else who has beliefs that are both conservative and liberal? leodeo 15 5618 March 7, 2014 at 10:04 am
Last Post: Bittersmart