Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence?
Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence?
A lot of studies suggest a correlation between higher education/IQ and atheism, or, at least, people tend to be less religious or non religious. What are your thoughts on this?
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Is there a correlation between atheism and intelligence?
Just anecdotal, in my high school graduating class I've noticed:

most of the A and B students I'd say are less religious on average

the alcoholics are evenly divided male/female, and there is no correlation to dumb/smart

our class, for reasons unknown, had far lower mortality than next 2 or 3 grades ahead or behind us (weird, very weird, and noticed by all)

both gays, that I know of, are male

our class probably has a 10-15% divorce rate, way low

our class sent more to college than several classes ahead or behind, and graduated (4 year degree) far fewer than the others

our class has (AFAIK) about a 20% alcoholism/addiction rate. Probably not too far off the mark for our rural isolated back water, but very high compared to the national average.

no classmate has won the effing lottery, either

I have no idea what the national average is, but several classmates have adopted kids, that surprised me, but I don't have or like kids, LOL. I didn't even like kids when I was a kid, preferring the company of grownups, even then.

Not sure if this helps the TS, but I've found our class to be rather odd compared to the 3 grades ahead and 3 behind we were in High School with.
[Image: Intelligence.jpg?width=700&height=525]
I don't think the one thing causes the other thing, but religions in general cultivates and values a set of behaviors in their adherents that results in intellectual incuriosity, whereas atheism can do the reverse. Does that mean religion makes you dumb and atheism makes you smart? No. But religion certainly doesn't help theists to properly harness their intelligence no matter where it falls on the spectrum. How could it? Religion trains you to accept a single set of answers to almost every question, to deny even the possibility of investigating other alternatives, and to link that narrow mindedness with strength and correctness.

It's hard to maintain a vital mind when you're restricted to just one possible conclusion.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Theists can be intelligent and introspective with a vital mind. They probably won't be the ones who come to a site like this to fish for souls to save. Not every theist is doctrinaire in regard to ever subject or question any more than they have to be a literalist fundamentalist.
(June 28, 2014 at 1:39 am)whateverist Wrote: Theists can be intelligent and introspective with a vital mind. They probably won't be the ones who come to a site like this to fish for souls to save. Not every theist is doctrinaire in regard to ever subject or question any more than they have to be a literalist fundamentalist.

That's what I'm saying: the more outwardly, obviously intelligent a theist is, the less likely they'll be to accept their specific holy book's claims of being the only possible answer ever, ever as gospel.

So I guess it's not religion that's correlated with a lack of intelligence, it's fundamentalism. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Proverbs 2;6 All wisdom comes from the Lord,
and so do common sense
and understanding.
(June 28, 2014 at 5:27 am)Knowledge of God Wrote: Proverbs 2;6 All wisdom comes from the Lord,
and so do common sense
and understanding.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about.

Hey champ? When the bible says that, it's factually incorrect.

(June 28, 2014 at 5:29 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(June 28, 2014 at 5:27 am)Knowledge of God Wrote: Proverbs 2;6 All wisdom comes from the Lord,
and so do common sense
and understanding.

See, this is exactly what I was talking about.

Is that the way of reasoning you were born with? I must remember yourself of the atheist fact the bible is full of contradictions.

Thinking
(June 28, 2014 at 5:32 am)Knowledge of God Wrote:
(June 28, 2014 at 5:29 am)Esquilax Wrote: See, this is exactly what I was talking about.

Is that the way of reasoning you were born with? I must remember yourself of the atheist fact the bible is full of contradictions.

Thinking

But at least he is reasoning. When you throw out a bare bible quote without comment .. what's that?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2739 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1945 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2290 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3013 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Could this exciting 2019 comedy show about God, concern artificial intelligence? blue grey brain 8 1292 February 22, 2019 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Rahn127
Wink Human Intelligence is an Illusion The__Chameleon 58 9267 December 19, 2018 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Study finds link between brain damage and fundamentalism drfuzzy 13 4072 May 16, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Atheist/liberal correlation Imaginaryfriendless 347 22592 August 3, 2016 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The flame between two darknesses: A celebration of reality FebruaryOfReason 10 4624 March 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason