Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Meta-ethical argument for atheism
Meta-ethical argument for atheism
If the statement god is good has any value, then morality must be independent of god. If morality is independent of god, then god is not the source of morality and therefore god as envisaged by Christianity does not exist. Therefore chrsitianity is false.
RE: Meta-ethical argument for atheism
God IS good. As in, God is goodness and is the source of all good. He IS all of the good itself.
What is morality but the aspiration to the best standard? As 'God' is defined as supremely good, then there can be no better moral standard.
(August 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm)Watson Wrote: God IS good. As in, God is goodness and is the source of all good. He IS all of the good itself.
b
But what does that mean? To atheists it sounds a bit mumbo jumbo. If god is the source of all good, god is good is meaningless because he is not independent of his own standards. If he is the source of all values by virtue of being intrinsicly good, that would mean he radiates goodness into the universe. So rocks and galaxies would also be moral. There is a shed load of biblical stuff that we could interject here but it would send this thread in another direction. You need to show where my premises or logic is flawed, rather than assert "god is good".
(August 15, 2010 at 3:05 pm)Watson Wrote: God IS good. As in, God is goodness and is the source of all good. He IS all of the good itself.

Quote:1Sa 6:19 And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten [many] of the people with a great slaughter.

Your god is a murdering shit...according to your own book.

I discussed the Euthyphro Dilemma in another thread. Nonetheless, it wasn't dealt with satisfactorily there.

'Fr0d0 Wrote:'As 'God' is defined as supremely good, then there can be no better moral standard.

So what does goodness mean? Whatever God says is good? In which case, he could command us to kill grannies, and that'd be good.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Well, killing grannies depends. If they're terminally ill and just want painless euthanasia I'm all for it.

That applies to younger people too of course.
(August 15, 2010 at 2:53 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: If the statement god is good has any value, then morality must be independent of god. If morality is independent of god, then god is not the source of morality and therefore god as envisaged by Christianity does not exist. Therefore chrsitianity is false.

How? This argument doesn't seem well thought out.

Are you trying to imply that humans give god the good attribute and therefore own their morality?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(August 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Well, killing grannies depends. If they're terminally ill and just want painless euthanasia I'm all for it.

That applies to younger people too of course.

That's true. Whether we should bump them off without their consent is a difficult issue, but certainly voluntary euthanasia is the way forward. Can't we all be like Oregon?
(August 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: How? This argument doesn't seem well thought out.

Are you trying to imply that humans give god the good attribute and therefore own their morality?

As I see it, this argument is not so much an argument against Christianity's truth, as against its being moral. Basically, the difficulty can be phrased like this: 'Is something good because God commands it, or does he command it because it's good?' If the former, morality is arbitrary. God could command the torture of babies, and that'd be considered 'good'. If the latter, then morality is independent of God, and we don't need a god for morality.

'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Quote:Can't we all be like Oregon?

Apparently not while the lunatic fringe is running around loose.

[Image: Sarah-Palin-DeathPanel3.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17543 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical? Greatest I am 37 19395 January 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7499 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter