Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument for atheism from impossible actions
Argument for atheism from impossible actions
The Christian god is said to exist by definition in a superntural realm as an omnipotent but incorporeal mind. As such an incorporeal mind has no potential nor kinetic energy they are incapable of acting upon the material world. Energy is of the material world and is required for action within it (eg forming earth or life upon it or just directing matters to take a particular course requires energy) therefore the Christian god cannot be omnipotent and this would lead one to conclude that therefore no being with these qualities exists and that atheism is true.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
RE: Argument for atheism from impossible actions
No, it just means the Christian God isn't omnipotent.
They just messed up the definition of a God they can't possibly know about.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(August 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: The Christian god is said to exist by definition in a superntural realm as an omnipotent but incorporeal mind. As such an incorporeal mind has no potential nor kinetic energy they are incapable of acting upon the material world. Energy is of the material world and is required for action within it (eg forming earth or life upon it or just directing matters to take a particular course requires energy) therefore the Christian god cannot be omnipotent and this would lead one to conclude that therefore no being with these qualities exists and that atheism is true.

The only reason god is defined as omnipotent and omnicient is to cover all the horrible plot holes and errors in religious texts and so god can have no defined parameters in which to fail. It's a very convenient way to argue against less compitent people to allow god to do things in very impossible ways.

For example, 'god's mysterious ways' is a result of god knowing the future perfectly and can manipulate events across space and time in any manner it sees fit in order to make things happen in a specific manner. It's also a convenient way to explain how loving god is even though he's so perfectly cruel a deity in the old testiment.

The examples are endless. He's the original Mary Sue.

It's also why such a being is impossible as anything other than the workings of the human imagination and mythology. It's also why the Christian bible is far and away less interesting than greek, nordic, egyption, roman, or really just about all mythos.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Quote:The Christian god is said to exist by definition in a superntural realm as an omnipotent but incorporeal mind. As such an incorporeal mind has no potential nor kinetic energy they are incapable of acting upon the material world. Energy is of the material world and is required for action within it (eg forming earth or life upon it or just directing matters to take a particular course requires energy) therefore the Christian god cannot be omnipotent and this would lead one to conclude that therefore no being with these qualities exists and that atheism is true.

Are you a dualist?

These are my premises:
1. God is immaterial, not materialistic
2. God has created everything and can do whatever He pleases
3. Since God can do whatever He wants, He can enter and manipulate the materialistic world
4. Therefore, God is not constricted to the immaterialistic world

Does that make sense?

Atheism wouldnt be true, a Deistic God would be true, if your premises were correct...
Its ok to have doubt, just dont let that doubt become the answers.

You dont hate God, you hate the church game.

"God is not what you imagine or what you think you understand. If you understand you have failed." Saint Augustine

Your mind works very simply: you are either trying to find out what are God's laws in order to follow them; or you are trying to outsmart Him. -Martin H. Fischer
(August 31, 2010 at 7:17 am)solja247 Wrote:
Quote:The Christian god is said to exist..
Are you a dualist?
These are my premises:
1. God is immaterial, not materialistic
2. God has created everything and can do whatever He pleases
3. Since God can do whatever He wants, He can enter and manipulate the materialistic world
4. Therefore, God is not constricted to the immaterialistic world
Does that make sense?
Atheism wouldnt be true, a Deistic God would be true, if your premises were correct...
Not a dualist. I said "god is said..." I'm not expressing it is my view but using the theist conception of god to demonstrate god cannot exist. As we are both aware there are many other arguments on both sides. If my premises are true a deistic or theistic god are ruled out, unless it is claimed that the deist god is material.
Your rejoinder does not form a refutation. I'm arguing that if god is immaterial and energy is only of the material world then god is not omnipotent Because he has no way of acting in the material world and therefore does not exist.

(August 30, 2010 at 6:11 pm)Shinylight Wrote: No, it just means the Christian God isn't omnipotent.
They just messed up the definition of a God they can't possibly know about.
Correct it does just mean that god isn't omnipotent. But By definition if not omnipotent he is not perefect and therefore does not exist. This is because the ontogical arguments used for theism can conceive of a more perfect god and therefore we are in an infinite regress. Not our problem but a problem of theisms own making.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.
This argument isn't particularly strong, because it presupposes that only materialistic mechanisms for action are possible. We know no others, but that doesn't mean that we can say there aren't any a priori.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(August 31, 2010 at 4:32 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: This argument isn't particularly strong, because it presupposes that only materialistic mechanisms for action are possible. We know no others, but that doesn't mean that we can say there aren't any a priori.
The need for a material action in a material unievrse is a very strong inductive inference. Nothing else has ever been observed. I don't see how it could be written off as weak? Infact I can't think of a stronger inductive inference. Are you saying that the problem of induction undermines all such inferences? That can't be surely.

Secondly I am positing that material actions only happen in a material universe and cannot happen in or from a proposed supernatural realm via an immaterial being. This to me seems logical.

The undermining of either of these premises would fault the argument, but I am not convinced your refutations work.
You're limiting God with science, which you don't have the knowledge to do. In your understanding of physics this is impossible because you don't know the link between temporal and non temporal. Assuming God assumes a creation from God. The theology is clearly asserting a link where you are not. The theology is consistent: it doesn't say that the two realms are disconnected as you are claiming, therefore your refutation is not addressing theology, but science.
(September 1, 2010 at 1:56 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You're limiting God with science, which you don't have the knowledge to do. In your understanding of physics this is impossible because you don't know the link between temporal and non temporal. Assuming God assumes a creation from God. The theology is clearly asserting a link where you are not. The theology is consistent: it doesn't say that the two realms are disconnected as you are claiming, therefore your refutation is not addressing theology, but science.
You need to show me the error of my ways and challenge the premises. I am simply using definitions of god and what we know of our universe to disprove ominpotence. If god is omnipotent he can do anything in our universe, if so he must have potential or knietic energy (by induction), but as he is immaterial he can't posess such attributes. Therefore he is not ominpotent. Which I would then assert disproves the god at least of philosophical theism and Christianity (although perhaps not a Posieden for example). I am not constraining a god with science in this argument. If I were I would say outright that he does not exist becuase there is the immaterial does not exist.
(August 31, 2010 at 7:52 am)solja247 Wrote: 2. God has created everything and can do whatever He pleases

Since when are arguments true just by making an assertion and then following the line of thinking out to some other fatuous conclusion? Oh, I finally get it! He created everything, so he can do anything he wants! Makes perfect sense. Glad that's settled once and for all.

1. Zeus is immaterial, not materialistic.
2. Zeus has created everything and can do whatever He pleases
3. Since Zeus can do whatever He wants, He can enter and manipulate the materialistic world
4. Therefore, Zeus is not constricted to the immaterialistic world

If God is, well, God, he doesn't necessarily have to be constricted to the immaterial world, and indeed, if he is constricted to the immaterial world, he's not omnipotent. In other words, if he can't affect events in the material world, he's limited in some way. And that's not our definition of God, unless of course, we want to claim that God is not omnipotent.
(August 30, 2010 at 6:06 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: The Christian god is said to exist by definition in a superntural realm as an omnipotent but incorporeal mind. As such an incorporeal mind has no potential nor kinetic energy they are incapable of acting upon the material world.

I suppose, but it seems to me omnipotence, by definition, includes the ability to affect the physical world, or else, God is limited in some way. Ergo, he didn't make the heavens and earth, nor send plagues, nor any of the other physical actions commonly attributed to God. We can, of course, throw out the Bible, miracles and theology in general, which I'm happy to do, but that would seem to make above statement a non-issue in the first place.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2000 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Abiogenesis is impossible SavedByGraceThruFaith 1615 364660 May 2, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 21740 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 32449 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 46684 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46126 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4574 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Meta-ethical argument for atheism Captain Scarlet 19 7256 August 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Entropist