Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?

Over the ages, a number of pagan religions have based their theology around the notion that God needs or wants sacrifices. This phenomena has been recorded on many continents from various tribes and peoples who had no knowledge of each other.

I find it strange that God, any God, would be pleased or able to be bribed by some sacrifice, be it human or not. Seems like it is just humans thinking they can somehow change God’s mind about anything from the weather, the forgiveness of sin or a better crop.

Can God be bribed by accepting burnt offerings such as virgins being thrown into volcanoes, meat or crops?

Can God be bought off so cheaply?

What of Jesus our brother?

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

If Christianity is based on human sacrifice, it seems to me that that would be immoral and unethical. It would mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice. Good justice says that the guilty pay and the innocent go free.

Is religious human sacrifice moral, ethical and good justice?

Regards
DL
RE: Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?
Aside from the comment most others will make to this: "It's bullshit anyway, so who gives a fuck!"

What if Jesus, out of love, gave himself - for what is said to be - the redemption of the people's sins? It would indeed mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice in a legal sense, but it is good justice in the sense that, out of love, the people's sins were forgiven.

Imagine being a father and knowing your son was as immoral as they come, but given the option of taking his place on death row - would you? It's not just, or righteous - it's simply love. That idea of love amazes me to this day, no matter how much bullshit and lies are stuffed into religion, especially Christianity - some of the ideals presented are awe inspiring, to me anyway.
Brevity is the soul of wit.
(January 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm)Perhaps Wrote: Aside from the comment most others will make to this: "It's bullshit anyway, so who gives a fuck!"

What if Jesus, out of love, gave himself - for what is said to be - the redemption of the people's sins? It would indeed mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice in a legal sense, but it is good justice in the sense that, out of love, the people's sins were forgiven.

Imagine being a father and knowing your son was as immoral as they come, but given the option of taking his place on death row - would you? It's not just, or righteous - it's simply love. That idea of love amazes me to this day, no matter how much bullshit and lies are stuffed into religion, especially Christianity - some of the ideals presented are awe inspiring, to me anyway.

Let me sell you another used bridge out of righteous love. Please, just worship me above all else and I will promise you one quadrillion times more reward than you can imagine. This promise is so firm that you shall under no circumstances doubt it or test it or, having tested it out of lack of faith, admit that I could possibly have failed it.

To seal the deal, I will sacrifice my the most valuable thing I have in your name, and by the way of expiating your sins, donate the said valuables to myself. Having made this sacrafice of my things onto myself, I can now convince you that you deserve to burn in a hell a trillion times hotter than hottest if you don't deal with me.

Deal?

The fact that people get all teary-eyed and sentimental over the alleged crucifixion of a human being for any reason, just makes me sick.

If god so loved the world, he should have just forgiven sins, and made it clear that sacrifices weren't necessary. The christian definition of "love" and my definition are nothing alike.

The problem with Jesus sacrifice is that it doesn't make a lot of sense. The only reason mankind was dubbed evil in the first place is because of certain rules God put in place and God's own decision to levy a certain punishment if those rules were broken.

Jesus death on the cross, assuming Christian trinity doctrine, is essentially saying God died for sins that he made sins in the first place to satisfy his own wrath. Even without trinity doctrine the only thing God is saving people from is himself since he would be the one delivering the punishment. He could have always just decided on a different form.

I will say though that Christianity can drive people to do great acts of love and I think there are people in Christianity that are very good/sacrificing people.
People need sacrifice because they acknowledge their frailty. It's a pay up scheme, where you trade to have your bad stuff forgotten.

Xtianity isn't based on human sacrifice. It's based on a deities sacrifice of itself.
We're born in sin that 'god' gave us. So to rid you of our sins, he sacrifices himself, but doesnt really die. Why not just be born without sin?
Based on a deity's sacrifice of itself. . .

Thinking

Still stupid.

Why? If I were a deity, there would be an app for that. It seems like that deity could have gone about things more logically. Of course, it wouldn't have been as intriguing, and bloody. We all know how people and their deities are obsessed with all things bloody.

Jesus is a different case though. He's God's only begotten son, the alpha and omega and etc...Not an ordinary man.It seems like he represents the ultimate sacrifice to God, which has been, ironically, sacrificed by God himself...or something like that.
I don't know how ethical or unethical the said "sacrifice" of a man who is believed to be God's son, but yeah, I'm sure that God surely would not need humans as a sacrifice, but perhaps only merely as a test..
On the other hand, if Jesus did not sacrifice himself..Or were sacrificed, the christian faith is in vain...Everything rests on Jesus himself. And his death on the cross, and rising three days later.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(January 4, 2012 at 4:24 pm)Perhaps Wrote: Aside from the comment most others will make to this: "It's bullshit anyway, so who gives a fuck!"

What about your sons victims?
Do they ever get closure that way?

Would you feel the same way if he were a rapist and his victims saw you, the father going to jail, while you see your rapist son back on the street the next day?

Would those victims see your love or your foolishness in letting your son free to rape again?

Regards
DL
(January 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm)aleialoura Wrote: The fact that people get all teary-eyed and sentimental over the alleged crucifixion of a human being for any reason, just makes me sick.

If god so loved the world, he should have just forgiven sins, and made it clear that sacrifices weren't necessary. The christian definition of "love" and my definition are nothing alike.

+ 1

Regards
DL
(January 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: People need sacrifice because they acknowledge their frailty. It's a pay up scheme, where you trade to have your bad stuff forgotten.

Xtianity isn't based on human sacrifice. It's based on a deities sacrifice of itself.

Gods can die. How droll.

Regards
DL
Thanks to the rest.

Regards
DL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moral Law LinuxGal 7 539 November 8, 2023 at 8:15 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  In UK atheists considred more moral than theists. downbeatplumb 254 29161 September 20, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 14966 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity Rhondazvous 63 9872 June 20, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7336 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Sacrifice Shuffle 82 12579 August 29, 2015 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Shuffle
  Why is Faith/Belief a Moral Issue? Rhondazvous 120 25197 August 21, 2015 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Jesus sacrifice and why it didn't count dyresand 30 5095 August 1, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Recap - A moral question for theists dyresand 39 7277 July 15, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  A moral and ethical question for theists dyresand 131 17205 July 15, 2015 at 7:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus