Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glad to find these forums
Glad to find these forums
HI everyone. My name is Jeremy. I'm a newspaper editor from Georgia and recently turned skeptic. I say skeptic because I would say I'm riding the line between agnosticism and atheism at the moment. I'm a former believer and once played in a contemporary praise band and the whole nine yards. Through my 20s, I began having serious doubts about my faith and religion in general, and in July 2009, I "came out," as they say, on my blog, which links back to my Facebook account, which my family and friends read. It was obviously a shock to them, and they have handled it much worse than I have, and probably a little worse than I expected. I am actually exceedingly more happy now than before, as I'm sure many of you will understand. So, I just wanted to say greetings and hopefully my story may help some of you and vice versa. For background on me, here is the post I made last summer to family and friends in case it might help someone else. And if you check my blog these days, I quite often take religion and faith to task, which is still, one year later, hard for my family to deal with. I'm currently reading and picking apart "Handbook of Christian Apologetics."

I hope to meet some folks with common experiences through this forum. Take care!
RE: Glad to find these forums
You are certainly in an excellent business to have the ability to be skeptical about the things you hear. It's only going to help you here and everywhere, even if the bigwigs in the news industry still put 'ethics' on the backburners. Though please understand that my distaste for news comes mostly from places like FOX news. I only refer to them as a news organization in name only, of course.

In any case, welcome to atheist forums.
Just hand your soul to the guy with the reddish skin and pointed goatee and you'll fit right in. Big Grin
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I don't have a common experience, thankfully. Wink

Welcome and good luck with your deconversion.
Welcome Jeremy.

A quote from your blog post:

"We have, indeed, for centuries, received nothing at all but silence from the God of the Old Testament"

People receive the same from God all the time to my knowledge Huh
hi, welcome
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(August 16, 2010 at 2:03 am)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: You are certainly in an excellent business to have the ability to be skeptical about the things you hear. It's only going to help you here and everywhere, even if the bigwigs in the news industry still put 'ethics' on the backburners. Though please understand that my distaste for news comes mostly from places like FOX news. I only refer to them as a news organization in name only, of course.

In any case, welcome to atheist forums.
Just hand your soul to the guy with the reddish skin and pointed goatee and you'll fit right in. Big Grin

Thanks Angels. I certainly understand your distaste for news coming FOX, which is, of course, entertainment and mind-warping, not news and certainly not journalism. Thanks, in any case!

(August 16, 2010 at 6:10 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome Jeremy.

A quote from your blog post:

"We have, indeed, for centuries, received nothing at all but silence from the God of the Old Testament"

People receive the same from God all the time to my knowledge Huh

Thanks fr0d0!

By that statement, I meant a tangible nothing, if that makes sense. I can't account for whatever folks claim they hear in their heads. lol
Welcome to the forums! We love Georgia. Big Grin
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
Welcome everythingafter!

Why exactly do you refrain from calling yourself an atheist?
(August 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm)everythingafter Wrote: By that statement, I meant a tangible nothing, if that makes sense. I can't account for whatever folks claim they hear in their heads. lol
It always was a tangible nothing if you chose to look at it in that way. I know people who make the same claims now. Why/ how do you dismiss one and not the other?

Hey there!
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3063 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Deleted Facebook account for good. I prefer these types of forum anyway. James_Smith 10 891 November 14, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Last Post: redpill
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1852 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5798 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I'm terrible at these... Epiphany 27 3742 July 19, 2017 at 1:11 am
Last Post: Epiphany
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3001 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3443 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3274 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Glad I found this forum! drfuzzy 25 4284 July 6, 2015 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 2991 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172