Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we know that god isn't perfectly evil?
How do we know that god isn't perfectly evil?
All the arguments from suffering, free will and morality in favour of god presuppose he is perfectly good. But all these arguments work in reverse eg

- argument 1 god loves us so much he gave us free will in order that we might choose the right path, do good, worship him but come freely to him
- argument 2 god hates us so much he gave us free will and urges us to do evil and cause suffering to trick us into worshipping him but he wants us to give ourselves to him freely

the second argument is no less valid but has improved explanatory power in that it accounts for suffering athey've god of the OT. How do we know god is all good and not all evil?
RE: How do we know that god isn't perfectly evil?
You're right, of course. That would make much more sense. Almost as much sense as there being no god at all.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Well, I wouldn't say "almost" as much sense (I'd say not by a fucking long shot). But more sense, yeah.
How do we know he's not perfectly evil? Because if i was a super-being i would be able to do some way more fucked up shit. The biblical God is evil for sure, but he aint perfect in any way.
He's pretty fucking hard to beat though.

Wiping out everyone but Noah and a few albums is rather 'over the top'.

But killing him and them as well and then creating everyone again and killing them over again in even more horrific ways, infinite loop, is worse I guess.
I can one up him off the top of my head: Spontaneous global circumcision via jack russell.
The worst things he can do are of course very unimaginative and vague statements like this one of course:

"Cause the most horrific suffering possible to the greatest number of sentient individuals constantly without respite for all eternity".
(August 16, 2010 at 4:57 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: The worst things he can do are of course very unimaginative and vague statements like this one of course:

"Cause the most horrific suffering possible to the greatest number of sentient individuals constantly without respite for all eternity".

Isn't that hell? Afterall there are only a select few christians going to heaven, the rest of us are destined to burn.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(August 16, 2010 at 4:29 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: You're right, of course. That would make much more sense. Almost as much sense as there being no god at all.

The better answer.
(August 16, 2010 at 4:23 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: All the arguments from suffering, free will and morality in favour of god presuppose he is perfectly good. But all these arguments work in reverse eg

- argument 1 god loves us so much he gave us free will in order that we might choose the right path, do good, worship him but come freely to him
- argument 2 god hates us so much he gave us free will and urges us to do evil and cause suffering to trick us into worshipping him but he wants us to give ourselves to him freely

the second argument is no less valid but has improved explanatory power in that it accounts for suffering athey've god of the OT. How do we know god is all good and not all evil?
S'ok Cap'n I'll take you seriously Wink Big Grin

The overwhelming thrust of the message is a positive one with the aim of human benefit.. it wouldn't be successful if not. Given the context only one statement fits the model. Independently your idea works fine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UCKG: Church tells boy 'evil spirit' hides in him zebo-the-fat 1 358 December 11, 2023 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 38575 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 133 16563 December 16, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Free will and the necessary evil Mystical 14 1541 November 11, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Armageddon. Does it make Jesus rather evil? Greatest I am 21 2175 February 9, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christians pray evil away on the winter solstice. brewer 9 1006 December 29, 2020 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hitler was genocidal and evil. Yahweh’s genocides are good; say Christians, Muslims & Greatest I am 25 2344 September 14, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. onlinebiker 3 1084 December 27, 2019 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8103 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 2012 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike