Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
An interesting coincidence happened the other day that prompted me to quip - "It's a Saturnalia miracle".

The person I said it to - a xtian - got all bent out of shape and ranted "It's CHRISTmas..... How dare you hijack our holiday with these made-up festivals?"

When I pointed out that Saturnalia pre-dated Christmas by a millenia - they accused me of making shit up....

Dodgy

Seriously?

The Romans came AFTER Jesus?

Neandrathal man hauled a pine tree in his cave and left milk and fucking cookies out for Santa?

Ooookayyyy...

I guess believers just believe.

Verifiable facts be damned...
RE: Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
When you're working from a book that largely made-up it's easy to believe that everybody else is wrong.
His personal self-image and narrative is that of an aggrieved and persecuted person who just wants to go Back To The Good Old Days or some version of that thought. He probably thinks Jesus put up the first Christmas ornaments and finds the notion that even Christians used to celebrate it quite differently before the last few hundred years to be sacrilegious. Sadly ... you can't help him. He doesn't want your help. Leave him to his slumber.
(December 27, 2019 at 9:06 pm)mordant Wrote: His personal self-image and narrative is that of an aggrieved and persecuted person who just wants to go Back To The Good Old Days or some version of that thought. He probably thinks Jesus put up the first Christmas ornaments and finds the notion that even Christians used to celebrate it quite differently before the last few hundred years to be sacrilegious. Sadly ... you can't help him. He doesn't want your help. Leave him to his slumber.

Years ago I frequented a forum that had a distinct lean to the right...

One member "Southernbelle74" a young xtian woman from Alabama once proclaimed - "If the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus - it's good enough for me!".

It's a rare occasion when I am stunned into silence.

Truce

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, are the Boils of Egypt still a 'thing' ?? vorlon13 26 5545 May 8, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9295 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  My current religious teacher isn't as good as I thought Der/die AtheistIn 10 1981 November 16, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  God isn't all powerful dyresand 14 2339 January 31, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Hell isn't scary dyresand 71 8732 June 11, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Core Message Of Christianity Isn't One Of Love Imaginos7 161 27456 August 30, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pope says God isn't a magician Whateverist 33 5057 November 4, 2014 at 3:33 pm
  Cardinal Dolan: The Catholic church isn't anti-gay Doubting Thomas 39 8147 December 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why Isn't Saint Peter In Hell? BrianSoddingBoru4 17 4406 November 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  Proof That the Bible Isn't the Word of God FallentoReason 123 39718 February 7, 2013 at 2:19 am
Last Post: ronedee