Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Evolution as evidence for atheism
Evolution as evidence for atheism
Why would god select evolution as a means of creating new species and having them adapt over time. Evolution is a massively wasteful process creating many damaging mutations which leads to unecessary suffering in the lifeforms it works upon? Either evolution is false, which seems unlikely given all available evidence (here come the fundies!), or god is uncaring and wasteful of resource in a finite universe. Evolution is more likely on the basis that atheism is true.
RE: Evolution as evidence for atheism
Because he might want things to work that way. This simple sentence defeats your argument from incredulity.

Have a nice day,
Rhizo
(August 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Because he might want things to work that way. This simple sentence defeats your argument from incredulity.

Have a nice day,
Rhizo
Not if he is all loving.

An argument from incredulity is where you cannot imagine the converse being true so you draw a false conclusion. You will note I have stated the it is more likely if atheism is true, not that it conclusively disproves theism. In addition you'll note I have stated the alternative conclusion that evolution could be false and thereby have imagined alternative if IMO less satisfactory conclusion. This argument for atheism from evolution is correctly stated. I'm afraid your statement was simplistic not simple.

and thank you I will , you too
(August 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote: Why would god select evolution as a means of creating new species and having them adapt over time. Evolution is a massively wasteful process creating many damaging mutations which leads to unecessary suffering in the lifeforms it works upon? Either evolution is false, which seems unlikely given all available evidence (here come the fundies!), or god is uncaring and wasteful of resource in a finite universe. Evolution is more likely on the basis that atheism is true.

Clearly God is neither perfect nor omnipotent.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Nor existant!

Big Grin
(August 17, 2010 at 4:35 pm)Captain Scarlet Wrote:
(August 17, 2010 at 4:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Because he might want things to work that way. This simple sentence defeats your argument from incredulity.

Have a nice day,
Rhizo
Not if he is all loving.

An argument from incredulity is where you cannot imagine the converse being true so you draw a false conclusion. You will note I have stated the it is more likely if atheism is true, not that it conclusively disproves theism. In addition you'll note I have stated the alternative conclusion that evolution could be false and thereby have imagined alternative if IMO less satisfactory conclusion. This argument for atheism from evolution is correctly stated. I'm afraid your statement was simplistic not simple.

and thank you I will , you too

Where did you define God as loving? Azagthoth is a God and it is completely unaware of what it does. An unaware god would allow anything to happen. Even if you were you to restate your claim using the Christian God it is very easy to see from Genesis that this world is a fallen world which leads to the idea that God might just want it to be this way because it teaches a lesson or something.

Rhizo
Theodicies like that one are flawed beyond belief. If God allows suffering to 'teach us a lesson', then his morality is nothing like ours, and so why call him God? Of course, the problem of evil fails if you posit an indifferent god, but I think Captain Scarlet was implying a Christian god.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
When presenting an argument, it is important to state all premises that are important to the argument.
Quote:Where did you define God as loving? Azagthoth is a God and it is completely unaware of what it does. An unaware god would allow anything to happen. Even if you were you to restate your claim using the Christian God it is very easy to see from Genesis that this world is a fallen world which leads to the idea that God might just want it to be this way because it teaches a lesson or something.

Rhizo
I agree if you look at the biblical god. This is an argument against a theist worldview. Theism is a philosophical worldview which claims that there is a personal creator of the universe. Christianity is a theism and I think Christians would claim that the NT supercedes the OT and that their god is perfect. Perfection includes omnibenevolance or in plain English;all loving. This view is inconsistent with the foundationsl texts of the religion but is reconciled by "accomodations" made by theologians who spin the bible passages as metaphors or literal depending on the text/situation. So if you wish to attack the argument you need to point out flaws in the premise or show where the conclusion is wrong as it's based on induction.
Captain Scarlet,

So now God is perfect AND a personal creator of the universe? Any other unstated premises you would like to add to your argument?

1. Theism is simply a belief in God/god/ or gods
2. A god that is indifferent can be conceived
3. Therefore evolution does not prove atheism

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4614 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 37836 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 28155 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20247 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6024 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 238713 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 133795 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 89473 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11081 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2903 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand