Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pinocchio syndrome , the turing test
Pinocchio syndrome , the turing test
From the very inception of ones own consciousness, a human knows most perfectly well ones own consciousness and it associated experiences.
All its (humans) interactions with the universe is via its consciousness.
Now consider a child, it will initially think everything is conscious like itself. A baby will smile at a toy. So the toy starts of having passed the Turing test.
With more learning the child will start to pass and fail different objects as to if they are conscious or not.
Thus each person runs a Turing test on objects encountered all their life all the time.
Now in the past people ran Turing test on the sun, stars , the weather , volcanoes and most of the time these things passed their Turing test. As such they were worshiped as gods.
So the definition of the Pinocchio syndrome is this.
From childhood we have a tendency to assign consciousness to everything. Then we run a Turing test to assert if its correct or not.
All of us suffer from this syndrome and we need to keep this syndrome in mind when it comes to Strong AI. If the Turing test is weak then strong AI would be a worship of gods.
Now a better approach to this question would be this.
1.Each human knows very well what it is to be conscious. What constitutes a conscious experience. As such it would be possible to define a set of Axioms, the Axioms of consciousness.
2.In regards to computers again, a computer is not a black box. Humans know exactly how they work. As such it would be possible to decide if the working of the computer can bring about the Axioms of consciousness

I made this post shorter
RE: Pinocchio syndrome , the turing test and the Axioms of Consciousness.
You're sure you aren't Randy? That copy pasting walls of text without making any point to speak of, rather reminds me of him. Also he wouldn't lie about being catholic, so I'm calling it now.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
[Image: X465sFl.png]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Cliff notes version please.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
[Image: tldr.gif]
(August 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm)fdesilva Wrote: From the very inception of ones own consciousness, a human knows most perfectly well ones own consciousness and it associated experiences.

There is quite a lot which a fully formed (and brought to term) human infant cannot do at birth, both mentally and physically.  It seems wrong to say from inception, a human knows "most perfectly well ones own consciousness and it(s) associated experiences."  What exactly do you have in mind by "inception"?  Is this the moment the sperm and egg get together, or what?  If you're defining it as the moment consciousness kicks in then your statement becomes true by definition.

Also, why do you obsess about such things?  You're just spouting what you believe in as authoritative manner as you can muster.  This doesn't accomplish anything unless you're trying to do God's good work unto us which we to a man find annoying as hell.
Don't bother. That is either Randy in the flesh or something equally obnoxious and meaningless. Though I have to say I would be surprised by two equally meaningless catholics finding their way here. That would be a remarkably negative selection. Not that I would be a fan of catholics, but they're usually not as narrow minded and prone to post walls of text.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Pinocchio syndrome , the turing test
(August 19, 2016 at 8:09 pm)fdesilva Wrote: From the very inception of ones own consciousness, a human knows most perfectly well ones own consciousness and it associated experiences.
Now consider a child, it will initially think everything is conscious like itself. A baby will smile at a toy. So the toy starts of having passed the Turing test.
With more learning the child will start to pass and fail different objects as to if they are conscious or not.
Thus each person runs a Turing test on objects encountered all their life all the time.
Now in the past people ran Turing test on the sun, stars , the weather , volcanoes and most of the time these things passed their Turing test. As such they were worshiped as gods.
So the definition of the Pinocchio syndrome is this.
From childhood we have a tendency to assign consciousness to everything. Then we run a Turing test to assert if its correct or not.
All of us suffer from this syndrome and we need to keep this syndrome in mind when it comes to Strong AI. If the Turing test is weak then strong AI would be a worship of gods.
Now a better approach to this question would be this.
1.Each human knows very well what it is to be conscious. What constitutes a conscious experience. As such it would be possible to define a set of Axioms, the Axioms of consciousness.
2.In regards to computers again, a computer is not a black box. Humans know exactly how they work. As such it would be possible to decide if the working of the computer can bring about the Axioms of consciousness

I made this post shorter

You're STILL here???
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
[Image: 1*vLVkZ19eY_vHD1smCCpxhA.jpeg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm)Whateverist Wrote:

There is quite a lot which a fully formed (and brought to term) human infant cannot do at birth, both mentally and physically.  It seems wrong to say from inception, a human knows "most perfectly well ones own consciousness and it(s) associated experiences."  What exactly do you have in mind by "inception"?  Is this the moment the sperm and egg get together, or what?  If you're defining it as the moment consciousness kicks in then your statement becomes true by definition.

Also, why do you obsess about such things?  You're just spouting what you believe in as authoritative manner as you can muster.  This doesn't accomplish anything unless you're trying to do God's good work unto us which we to a man find annoying as hell.

Inception of consciousness

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Logic Fallacies: A Quiz to Test Your Knowledge, A Cheat Sheet to Refresh It Rhondazvous 0 985 March 6, 2017 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Intelligence test Knight000 98 13915 September 14, 2015 at 4:19 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Test my belief system robvalue 84 12287 September 8, 2015 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Sappho
  Political Compass test Regina 18 4820 March 18, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  test MindForgedManacle 1 980 January 14, 2014 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle