Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judge this harshly.
Judge this harshly.
https://soundcloud.com/paul_pablo-672504709/ss-1

It's still just a nearly finished prototype, it needs to be mastered and so on.

Judge it harshly, tell me what you think, I posted this up previously but now the vocals of my singer have been added.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Judge this harshly.
Judge it harshly?

Okay, the link doesn't work for me. This is the peak of all failure. Now go reevaluate your life choices.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 21, 2016 at 10:05 pm)Jesster Wrote: Judge it harshly?

Okay, the link doesn't work for me. This is the peak of all failure. Now go reevaluate your life choices.

did you click just where it says "SS" ?  It works for me.

Don't click the play button that won't work.

Clicking SS should work.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

(August 21, 2016 at 10:06 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(August 21, 2016 at 10:05 pm)Jesster Wrote: Judge it harshly?

did you click just where it says "SS" ?  It works for me.

Yeah, I found that after I got past my urge for sarcasm. My real review will come soon. Wink
Why would I judge this harshly? This is amazing. Congrats.

The quality could be better and some parts could be edited differently, but I'm not even close to knowing anything about that kind of process, so I can't say anything other than that.

Great voice and overall epic song, though.
Okay, I'll be super cereal for now. Unfortunately my headphones are garbage, so I already know I'm not hearing all that I'm supposed to be hearing. Pitches are kinda wonky, so I can't tell if there's actually anything off there or not. I'll just go ahead and assume that much is perfect.

I'm not sure if I should criticize the following point or not, because I don't know what you intended. The vocals are a bit distant and not articulated too clearly. With that in mind, I know there are a lot of artists who are going for exactly that for artistic reasons. Think Pearl Jam (who I love). If that's what you intended, then you hit it perfectly.

Overall, I love it. This kind of music tickles me in all the right places.
(August 21, 2016 at 10:18 pm)Jesster Wrote: Okay, I'll be super cereal for now. Unfortunately my headphones are garbage, so I already know I'm not hearing all that I'm supposed to be hearing. Pitches are kinda wonky, so I can't tell if there's actually anything off there or not. I'll just go ahead and assume that much is perfect.

I'm not sure if I should criticize the following point or not, because I don't know what you intended. The vocals are a bit distant and not articulated too clearly. With that in mind, I know there are a lot of artists who are going for exactly that for artistic reasons. Think Pearl Jam (who I love). If that's what you intended, then you hit it perfectly.

Overall, I love it. This kind of music tickles me in all the right places.

Fucking hell my vocalist will love you, and this comment.  His favorite band is pearl jam so I'm pretty sure that's what he was going for.

Some parts are sort of incomprehensible because of the background noise(music) being too much. Other than that, this is really, really great. I wouldn't have blinked twice if I saw a slightly better version of this on youtube with tens of millions or views, you know?
I'm not above begging.

Come on Jello, Ladyofcampus, homelessnutter, whoever else.

I've seen you lookin in ma thread.

Surely everyone believes themselves to have a good taste in music.  You be the judge, you're my Simon Cowells tonight.

Just a reminder, DON'T CLICK PLAY.

You need to click SS for it to work.

I think we've already discussed the Three Doors Down similarity, so I won't go into that any further.

The parts I liked:

-- interesting guitar tones throughout, a good variety of cleans, dirt, and mondo drive, and all of them sounding throaty except perhaps the clean at the beginning -- but that's understandable given the song's arrangement.

-- damned good playing on the solo. The 16th-note run in the first part was energizing, but then followed up by the transition back into the song, with those powerful bends, that's some really good stuff there.

-- the drum programming was good (with the exception of the section headed into the blast-beats, which seemed a little stiff to me -- maybe I like hearing a little more swing in that sort of change? ), and the tones were really nice -- thick and full-bodied. In a related note, the cymbals sounded really, really good. They cut through the mix exactly as they should, and had very realistic sizzle.

The parts I didn't care for:

-- the reverb on the vocals. Not only did it give the distant feel that Jesster was talking about, but also the lack of clarity EP mentioned. The tail of the reverb was too long, in my opinion, which caused it even more problems playing nice with the backing music. The vocals and the guitars were slotted into the same frequencies -- which happens sometimes, I get it -- but that long reverb meant that the vocals and guitars were fighting for earspace even more than they could have. My solution (though you didn't request this sort of thing) would be to EQ the guitars differently emphasizing more midrange, and perhaps dropping them a touch in the mix (the added mids will keep perceived levels the same if you're careful in both phases), so that you're not fighting traffic.

-- The singer missed a couple of notes by a couple of cents.

-- a couple of your bends were a tiny bit shy of the target note, I think.

-- MOAR BASS.

Good stuff, Paul. Goddamned good.