Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Official Religion"
Smile 
"Official Religion"
What makes someones beliefs an official religion and not a cult? Why are some beliefs respected and others are not? And finally... how do I get my religion to become an official religion? (The Church of Feta Cheese)
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
RE: "Official Religion"
What makes someones beliefs an official religion and not a cult?
someone having the biggest hammer

Why are some beliefs respected and others are not?
If you have money, you have respect

And finally... how do I get my religion to become an official religion? (The Church of Feta Cheese)
Just say it it
If you can publicly state in a recorded message that a great way to make money is by starting a religion and then a religion based on your 'discoveries' is founded some time afterword, then I think you can found a religion in any fashion you see fit.

Though the difference between having a cult of a small group of people and a full blown religion is two or more of the following:

1) Pure # of followers
2) Pure # of dollars/money
3) Pure # of lawyers

Being good with your money, ferverant with your attacks against naysayers, and very very public about your faith's pros and keeping your cons under wraps is generally a good way to go about getting a foothold.

If you need more information, research scientology. That 'religion' may be a giant money-making scheme, but I'll be damned if L. Ron Hubbard wasn't one smart bastard.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(August 19, 2010 at 12:47 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: What makes someones beliefs an official religion and not a cult? Why are some beliefs respected and others are not? And finally... how do I get my religion to become an official religion? (The Church of Feta Cheese)

Official religions by definition support the status quo; it's a symbiotic relationship.

It exactly fits what an ancient Roman (?) whose name escapes me,said. (roughly)
"Religion is seen by the ordinary people as true,by wise men as nonsense, by rulers as useful"

You get your personal collection of superstitions to become the State religion by making it a political necessity.
(August 19, 2010 at 4:42 am)padraic Wrote:
(August 19, 2010 at 12:47 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: What makes someones beliefs an official religion and not a cult? Why are some beliefs respected and others are not? And finally... how do I get my religion to become an official religion? (The Church of Feta Cheese)

Official religions by definition support the status quo; it's a symbiotic relationship.

It exactly fits what an ancient Roman (?) whose name escapes me,said. (roughly)
"Religion is seen by the ordinary people as true,by wise men as nonsense, by rulers as useful"

You get your personal collection of superstitions to become the State religion by making it a political necessity.
Scientology is a cult in france and a church in USA, the reasons is because France considers Scientology a dangerous cult
Ashendant Wrote:Scientology is a cult in france and a church in USA, the reasons is because France considers Scientology a dangerous cult

A cult with an army of lawyers! They represent the paradigm of "Americans going law suit happy" Tongue
Thank you for your answers.Smile
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Now if people who worship Feta are granted tax exemption, we'll all know why...
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
Would that apply to any cheese or dairy product?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Wink 
Only Feta Cheese is true cheese, as said by the holy cheese maker! Wink
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4242 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16572 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  It's official, we eat babies Doubting Thomas 37 10049 January 19, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Kree
  It's official: we eat bunnies. Violet 37 11097 January 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Official Richard Dawkins YouTube Channel Giff 0 1825 January 20, 2009 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Giff