Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:35 am

Poll: Are you better at understanding things or better at explaining them?
This poll is closed.
My comprehension skills are more advanced than my explanatory skills.
33.33%
2 33.33%
My explanatory skills are more advanced than my comprehension skills.
0%
0 0%
Jello is best JellyKnight.
66.67%
4 66.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explaining/Comprehending: Another random poll.
Explaining/Comprehending: Another random poll.
I myself am FAR better at understanding things than explaining things. What about you?
RE: Explaining/Comprehending: Another random poll.
I think i can understand things better than i can explain things
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. For if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes unto you."
Problem is my ability to understand often seems only as good as my shitty lack of ability to explain things. Because I often don't allow my brain to fully access information until I am capable of putting it into words. It's an O.C.D. thing I think. I also think it's something to do with the fact I'm not a visual person at all and I like to know why I understand things rather than to just understand them. I'm ambitious that way. And to know why or how I understand something, as far as I know the best way to do that is to be able to explain it to myself first (because I am unable to visualize it to myself)... and also then I am able to explain it to others.

However, overall, I'd say this is far more unhelpful than helpful to me. So it's a habit I am trying to break. When I break it -- and I am confident I will break it in time -- I am certain that it will do wonders for my mental health Smile
Academically, I'm good at both, when it comes to the everyday life, I'm shit at both. I don't know how that works.
Can you restate the question please?
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Anyway, don't you need to be able to comprehend it first before being able to explain it well? I'd say they go hand in hand.
(August 31, 2016 at 8:57 am)Jesster Wrote: Can you restate the question please?

Do you consider yourself more skilled at understanding stuff or explaining stuff?
Jello is indeed the best JellyKnight.
(August 31, 2016 at 8:58 am)RozKek Wrote: Anyway, don't you need to be able to comprehend it first before being able to explain it well?

You absolutely have to successfully understand something in order to successfully explain what you understand.

However, you are able to successfully understand something without being even remotely capable of explaining it. My brain gets these mixed up though for some reason.

It's kind of like how all dogs are animals but not all animals are dogs. In this analogy then: explanation is to comprehension as dogs are to animals.
(August 31, 2016 at 9:02 am)Alasdair Ham Wrote:
(August 31, 2016 at 8:57 am)Jesster Wrote: Can you restate the question please?

Do you consider yourself more skilled at understanding stuff or explaining stuff?

Forget it. Either you can't explain this well or I can't understand it.
I don't believe you. Get over it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 10974 249545 7 hours ago
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Poll To End All Polls no one 12 1031 February 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Troll Poll on Atheism ignoramus 2 499 December 17, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1894 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Poll: What To Do With Defunct Retail Outlets BrianSoddingBoru4 24 1899 October 30, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Bathroom Poll Foxaèr 31 2872 October 3, 2018 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Poll: Is it possible to be both very creepy and very sexy? Edwardo Piet 12 2225 May 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Quick Poll: Do you speak more than one language? Edwardo Piet 40 4181 April 27, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Antares
  Another sex poll...4 or 9? John V 85 14671 April 19, 2018 at 4:25 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  For the GUYS only here... A quick poll... Joods 102 7120 March 8, 2018 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Joods