Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The War on Drugs" a Bust?
"The War on Drugs" a Bust?
Y'all've heard of the war on drugs.
Maybe you've watched Breaking Bad or started Narcos (yet to watch).

Well there's this thing called the war on drugs in which the government fights against the demand and trade of drugs within it's borders.
However the U.S is very bad at this...

The rehabilitation in America is horrible.
And the way we enforce it does not help.

Giving longer jail sentences out to those who sell drugs or take them does not help in any way.
You might think...
"Well, if I want drugs, but I can't do the time, then why do it at all."
This the first approach I took to this topic.
How ever I was wrong.

Turns out that people'l do what ever to get to their drugs...
Kill, Steal, Mug, Risk disease.

However in country such as Switzerland during the 80s there was a huge spike in heroin use. So they took a risk, and here's what we learned...
They opened up free rehabilitation centres, gave free heroin in those centres except it would be high quality and the needles would be clean.
People who take drugs realize the effects and want to stop, but they can't. The rehabilitation is almost never good.

So Switzerland would give these addicts social workers too and they would eventually help the addicts find homes and guess what?
The use of heroin dropped significantly, stoping this crisis.

However, I wonder, how come the U.S or other countries don't try this method anymore.
Decrease crime rates, less drug use, and heck, if regulated some drugs could be legal too!

But I wonder, why?

Here's a video on the topic that is more in depth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJUXLqNHCaI

RE: "The War on Drugs" a Bust?
Quote:But I wonder, why?

Stop wondering.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/23/politics/j...ks-hippie/

Quote:Report: Aide says Nixon's war on drugs targeted blacks, hippies

Quote:"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday.

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

I bet they won't be talking about this in your next history class.
(September 9, 2016 at 7:47 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Stop wondering.

Quote:"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people," former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman told Harper's writer Dan Baum for the April cover story published Tuesday.

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Holy shit, I mean atleast they teach us that Leif Erickson was the first European to visit the Americas.

Stop wondering.

I'm inherently an optimist and I usually have little use for gloom and doom pessimism but I won't argue with this. My country SUCKS at dealing with this problem. Sometimes you're stupid enough that logic doesn't work and you have to learn from the school of hard knocks - except we already did this! Prohibition was an absolute disaster. It's the only instance in our history of a constitutional amendment being reversed. So what do we do? We repeat the same idiotic mistake over again! It's said that stupidity is doing the same thing tomorrow that you did today and expecting different results.

Like I said, we really suck at dealing with this problem. We REALLY suck at it.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
I don't believe the war on drugs was ever about drugs to begin with. Whether the American government is any good at it probably depends on our idea about the intended purpose.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
For the pharmaceutical industry the drug "war" is good for them you have
to keep people on highly addicting pain killers because you know cheaper substances that
made on the streets is bad "business" for them.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
As a band, it's not a bust:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmX5c7HoUw
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Something that hasn't yet been mentioned is the vested interest police departments have had in maintaining its continuance in order to continue seizure income.

Stop wondering.

Hell, as a matter of fact, when drugs like Heroin, Marijuana, and Cocaine were first made illegal, even before Nixon, they were connected to minorities (hell, why do you think Canniabis Sativa is most commonly known by a Spanish name?). The "success" (measured in terms of popular support, not in actual effectiveness, which is more or less nonexistent in all cases of well-publicised drugs) of a drug criminalization process is directly proportional to how well the culture projects its image onto "The Other." It's why society was so quick to admit Prohibition of alcohol was a failure, but took decades for large sections of society to say the same about other drugs.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Quote: My country SUCKS at dealing with this problem.

But not at creating it.  That they accomplished with great success.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 493 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3235 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 910 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 953 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1108 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3309 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nukes: post your imagined scenario of the next war WinterHold 46 3301 February 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6499 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am
  Start a war, save your Presidency? Jehanne 10 1833 May 12, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 356 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am