Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone know about vitamin B complex
Does anyone know about vitamin B complex
And how it's tied into energy metabolism? Or even what this will do to help me lose weight?

I cannot exercise much due to activity induced asthma, so doing simple tasks at home sends me to my nebulizer for a treatment. I've changed my diet over two and got rid of all processed foods in the house. I don't know what else I can do. I tried walking around the block here but I got so winded halfway through that I had to take four puffs off my rescue inhaler.

I'm tired of not being able to get fit.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
RE: Does anyone know about vitamin B complex
Does "activity induced asthma" mean that you are heavily overweight?

If so, it's really hard to break out of that vicious circle-- you can't do much, so you sit around and eat a snack "now and then." But those now-and-thens add up to a lot, and there's not much other pleasure to be had if your wings are clipped by your health condition, right?

If you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and a moderate amount of meat or dairy, you shouldn't have to worry about vitamins. But most importantly, you need to go to fitness sites, calculate how many calories you can safely cut in your diet, and have faith in the accumulation of small advantages over time. If you can't exercise, then your diet is the only way to lose weight-- but if you crash too much, you'll just kill your metabolism, and things won't improve much for you anyway.

I've been a struggler over the past 15 years or so. I actually got myself down to about 190 lbs and ran a marathon, and was running 6-minute miles. Since then, I've been more on-and-off due to a joint injury and a loss of faith and discipline after that.

But I can tell you how success works-- if you get more pleasure from your achievements, including the achievement of putting down that donut and grabbing a carrot instead, than you get from the food itself, then you are winning. I really believe that's the key-- do things that will make you feel proud of yourself and in-control.

btw my original struggle was with depression, and I started by just making my bed in the morning. Then I started tidying more stuff, going out of the house more, and gradually I built so much momentum that I ended up wanting to go to the gym for a new challenge. All that led to a cascade that carried on for several years until I got hurt.

Now, I'm in that boat again, but it's hard to get the ball rolling. You know what? I'm gonna make a bragging thread where we can all go and talk about the things we feel good about.
This ^^. So much this.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 12, 2016 at 1:08 am)bennyboy Wrote: Does "activity induced asthma" mean that you are heavily overweight?

If so, it's really hard to break out of that vicious circle-- you can't do much, so you sit around and eat a snack "now and then."  But those now-and-thens add up to a lot, and there's not much other pleasure to be had if your wings are clipped by your health condition, right?

If you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and a moderate amount of meat or dairy, you shouldn't have to worry about vitamins.  But most importantly, you need to go to fitness sites, calculate how many calories you can safely cut in your diet, and have faith in the accumulation of small advantages over time.  If you can't exercise, then your diet is the only way to lose weight-- but if you crash too much, you'll just kill your metabolism, and things won't improve much for you anyway.

I've been a struggler over the past 15 years or so.  I actually got myself down to about 190 lbs and ran a marathon, and was running 6-minute miles.  Since then, I've been more on-and-off due to a joint injury and a loss of faith and discipline after that.

But I can tell you how success works-- if you get more pleasure from your achievements, including the achievement of putting down that donut and grabbing a carrot instead, than you get from the food itself, then you are winning.  I really believe that's the key-- do things that will make you feel proud of yourself and in-control.

btw my original struggle was with depression, and I started by just making my bed in the morning.  Then I started tidying more stuff, going out of the house more, and gradually I built so much momentum that I ended up wanting to go to the gym for a new challenge.  All that led to a cascade that carried on for several years until I got hurt.

Now, I'm in that boat again, but it's hard to get the ball rolling.  You know what?  I'm gonna make a bragging thread where we can all go and talk about the things we feel good about.

To answer your question, I have had asthma all my life. I have not, however been overweight all my life. There was a point in time were I looked just beautiful in a bikini. Activity induced asthma simply means that any activity will cause the asthma to happen. So something as seemingly simple as carrying a laundry basket up or down the steps, can trigger an attack. I really should have one floor living, but I live in a townhouse and most of the time, I'm either upstairs in my bedroom, or I'm settled in the living room with everything I need. My other half does the laundry and the kids pitch in and help around the house with chores that tire me out.

I have heard that yoga is a great benefit to losing weight and even to helping combat asthma. There's a yoga place right next door to my school. However, until I can get a job in my field of study, any extra activities outside of having to pay living expenses, is really out of the question. But Yoga is something that I would like to try. My main worry is that it gets really stuffy and hot inside that yoga place. If I feel like I cannot breathe, I won't be able to sit in there for long. Especially if it feels closed-in like that.
Judi - I'm having a great deal of success using a free app (loseit.com) that sets - based on gender, height, weight, and age - a daily calorie budget and keeps track of what you eat. It's incredibly useful.
Oh I'll have to check that out. Thanks CD!
Excessive B vitamin intake, for the most part, only gets you expensive urine.

As for exercise induced asthma it is postulated that it is related to histamine (and other inflammation modulators) released during aerobic activities. The two causes seem to be drying out of the pulmonary membranes and cooling of the membranes as breathing increases.

Ways to avoid, warm up prior to aerobic exercise (not very practical in your case), increase air temp and humidity in your environment (duh), use your rescue inhaler (i.e. albuterol) prior to exercise, breath through your nose vs mouth (warms and humidifies air more), for weight loss perform anaerobic exercise. Isolate muscle groups to work out (arms/legs) that won't increase your breathing excessively. Do short reps, rest, repeat.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Thanks again CD. I'm all signed up Smile
(September 11, 2016 at 8:50 pm)Nymphadora Wrote: And how it's tied into energy metabolism? Or even what this will do to help me lose weight?

I cannot exercise much due to activity induced asthma, so doing simple tasks at home sends me to my nebulizer for a treatment. I've changed my diet over two and got rid of all processed foods in the house. I don't know what else I can do. I tried walking around the block here but I got so winded halfway through that I had to take four puffs off my rescue inhaler.

I'm tired of not being able to get fit.

Yes I can help you here. Well help you with information anyway.

To be honest I haven't really looked into b-vitamins and their use for weight loss. I did a quick write up on multivitamins a few days ago, which is an issue I will revisit later. Suffice to say it's best to stay away from supplements that you don't need. Look at this way, Sports Drinks are legitimately formulated for athletes, and when used in that context they can be beneficial - but when non-athletes use them outside of their intended purpose they can do more harm than good. In fact another interesting thing worth noting is that every diet app (yes every one) is pretty bad at giving accurate information about food energy content, they all underestimate the kilojoules/Calories in food. That's not a reason not to use one, but a warning that they will misinform you.

Sustainable weight-loss for obese people is difficult, and successful programs need to be multi-component. There's some really high quality recent systematic reviews/meta analyses on this specific topic, and they are open access so I suggest to have a read of them. Specifically look at Ramage et al 2014 and Johns et al 2014 that looked at long term weight-loss success comparing different methods. Both find that multi-factored methods are the most successful - i.e. programs that combine diet, exercise, and behaviour change. Mozaffarian et al 2011 is another good publication, with a very different way of looking at long-term weight change (it is a large longitudinal observation study).

"Overall, for significant weight loss of at least 5% from baseline, a sustained reduction in energy intake was necessary. Often, this was facilitated by a reduced fat intake and increased fibre in the diet. In the majority of studies, a variety of other diet strategies was used to support the diet intervention goals, for example, to maintain diet quality or to prevent hunger or improve satiety. Furthermore, some form of PA [physical activity] and BT [behaviour training] was a critical component of the interventions in the studies that demonstrated successful weight loss."
-Ramage et al 2014

I think you should put three things onto your check list: Diet, Physical Activity, Behaviour Training. In terms of Diet you have plenty of easy options, noting though that it's only one part of the solution. A commercial program will work in combination with the other two, or you can see a nutritionist and have something designed for you, or you can simply keep a food diary and redesign your meals around either whatever national diet plan is available in your country (heck you can use Australia's, the UK's, the USA's, Japan's, they're all very similar anyway), or DASH, or even the Mediterranean diet. Note they get progressively more restrictive in terms of food choice in the order I just wrote (national diet plan > DASH > Mediterranean).

Behaviour training is interesting. I'll admit I haven't read widely on this specific topic in regards to it, but I have read about it on other topics - and it often seems that any form of BT is just as good as any other. Have a read though Ramage et al on that, it has a few ideas there - you don't have to go see a shrink, you can join a support group, keep a food diary, stress management, etc. A Fitbit is probably a good idea there, as it can help train you to estimate distance and number of steps (a quite useful skill when increasing one's physical activity level).

Finally Physical Activity. This is what you may find challenging as it requires a large chunk of time every day, and noting that you get activity induced asthma you need to find physical activities which you can do. Walking, Hiking, Swimming, Weights and resistance training, Dancing? I'm out of ideas now, but whatever you can do without inducing an asthma attack would be a good start. Remember the goal is only to increase you physical activity level (PAL) to 'moderate', not become an athlete.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The absurdity of the idea that a complex lifeform could be designed?!?! Duty 24 1715 October 7, 2021 at 4:28 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Does this seem like a no brainer to anyone else? brewer 9 835 April 20, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The return of the the complex organic molecules! ScienceAf 0 485 September 15, 2016 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Madonna-Whore complex Dust_bunny 15 4231 June 28, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: Dust_bunny
  Scientists: 100 million worlds may have complex alien life in our galaxy pocaracas 14 5233 June 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13