Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poetry night project
Poetry night project
The last one I went to in my community was in February, and it allowed all kinds of others artists to participate. They had singers, comedians, dancers, and even a girl who simply read a long story that she only read to herself the night before.

I took matters into my own hands and posted on fb that I wanted to plan a poetry night with all poetry (no other art forms), except for one local guitarist whom I deeply admire, and all poetry must be original. The post was shared by three friends who know a lot of people. Hours later I had two venue offers (free of charge), six local writers signed up to participate, and the amazing guitarist offered to contribute the music free of charge. He offered. I picked the venue that included sound system (my cousin owns a music school and offered it for the event and also included all the sound system we may need). Also, the walls were offered in case any painter artists wanted to show case their work. I thought that was neat, and I know a few who might be interested. So, now I have enough to set a date and allow for more writers to sign up.

Anywho...
Have you ever attended to one of these? What do you suggest, open mic, or scheduled? I can't decide. I'm breaking my head, but I'm stuck.

This will take place mid November. I'll necro-post this thread, so I can update you with a video of my poetry  Big Grin

Am I banned under attempted necro-postage?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: Poetry night project
Try and do both, somehow. Have a plan as to how the evening should proceed, like a general idea of which artists should go when, what should happen when, and so on, but also be ready to be flexible about it, move things around and even let things happen on their own if possible. That way you can provide a degree of freedom to the whole thing, making it flow naturally, but also have something to fall back on in case it goes wrong.
First of all congrats for the successful organization and recruitment, that's really awesome. Most people don't bother or dare to try launch something like that from scratch, and those are the things that make communities worth living in..

I'd do predominantly scheduled at first to make sure it runs smoothly. You can try to influence the order in which various types and lengths of contributions are presented and so influence the overall atmosphere. (as in: something quick and funny at the end, something cool to start off, longer or more reflective and melancholic stuff not at the end, avoid extreme overruns etc.)
Maybe I'm too much of a control freak bc I'm used to being able to control the flow of the entire time when I am on stage giving a presentation, but for the audience, having it at least somewhat structured in a thoughtful way is rewarding.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd go open mic with a sign-up sheet and a time limit.

I like the idea of multimedia presentations, grab some art to go with the music and poetry -- that way audience members not enthralled by the poet onstage will still have something to keep them there, and maybe the synergy will kick in.

I wish I lived in that area, I'd drag a guitar and a notebook down myself.

Knock 'em dead, love.

Thank you soooooo much for your responses. This really did give me ideas. I mean it.  Heart
Also, one of the writers has a published poetry (says it's social protest content). Is it tacky if I let her bring copies of her book and set up a table after the event to sell? Of course, all earnings would be for herself to keep.

She hasn't asked, but I see it coming.
Speaking as a musician -- selling product after a gig isn't "tacky", but I think that depends on the vibe you're aiming for, too.

At metal concerts at small venues, all the bands that play that night (often three) usually sell their merch, CDs and Demos, I don't see anything wrong with doing it for poetry unless as Thump says it goes against the improptu or anticapitalist Tongue vibe you would like to create. It would look better if more than one participant had something in any case.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Indeed, if you have multiple wares from multiple performers, you'll be supporting local arts, not selling, ahem, swag. :X

Right! Yeah. This makes sense. Thanks, guys. This is great.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Poetry Thread MarcusA 40 1851 September 10, 2023 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 560 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1658 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2150 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For the scond night in a row...... Brian37 9 706 May 2, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1082 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  MY Latest Project onlinebiker 18 1177 August 3, 2020 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] Poetry WinterHold 31 2725 January 10, 2020 at 4:20 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4773 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Profound Poetry by Our Very Own Brian37 Rhondazvous 3 634 July 4, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous