Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitch's Paradox of Knowability
Fitch's Paradox of Knowability
One major epic paradox I say Tongue:

Fitch's_paradox_of_knowability
RE: Fitch's Paradox of Knowability
(August 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: One major epic paradox I say Tongue:

Fitch's_paradox_of_knowability

Zeno of Elea would be so proud.
Thinking
Smile My brain is now recovering from mental contusions.
'This statement is false.'

Howzat for a paradox?
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
The liar's paradox is pretty neat. I prefer Fitch's though.
It's more sophisticated, I'll admit. Smile
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newcomb's Paradox GrandizerII 23 2318 July 12, 2023 at 10:32 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"? Porcupine 4 480 July 17, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  The Paradox of tolerance and current events TaraJo 16 4931 August 19, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Determinism, Free Will and Paradox bennyboy 98 20485 January 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  "Homosexuality is a choice" and its paradox FallentoReason 216 56946 August 29, 2013 at 1:25 am
Last Post: genkaus
  free will paradox justin 100 32808 May 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: wwjs
  Paradox of Surprise? Yes? No? Edwardo Piet 17 5606 January 8, 2011 at 8:27 pm
Last Post: jason56
  Curry's Paradox Edwardo Piet 0 1283 August 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet