Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Poll: Is this a genuine paradox?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
14.29%
1 14.29%
No.
71.43%
5 71.43%
I don't know.
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paradox of Surprise? Yes? No?
Paradox of Surprise? Yes? No?
Just something I thought of really:

"If you expect to be surprised when you're not surprised are you surprised?"

Or a shorten version:

"If you expect to be surprised when you're not, are you?"

I'm pretty suspicious of a flaw here somewhere making it not a genuine paradox....but I'm not sure where it is.
RE: Paradox of Surprise? Yes? No?
(December 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Just something I thought of really:

"If you expect to be surprised when you're not surprised are you surprised?"

Or a shorten version "If you expect to be surprised when you're not, are you?"

I'm pretty suspicious of a flaw here somewhere making it not a genuine paradox....but I'm not sure where it is.

Its.....BOOOOOO did that surprise you.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

A bit.
I depends on the surprise you are expecting. Like, if you think someone is going to pop out and say boo, but instead you turn the corner and there is a naked women, you would be genuinly surprised. The way you have posed it, I would say is too vague because it isn't specific enough, or clear enough to be a paradox.

If you are hypervigilent and hard to surprise, could you be surprised? Certainly, because there is always something outside your expectation that could happen. It is more a matter of intensity that would illicit the surprise response.
I mean that if you expect to be surprised at time X, but at time X you aren't surprised, wouldn't you then be surprised because you were expecting to be surprised but, weren't?
Ahhh, I see, interesting. Ok, so then if you expect to be surprised, you will be surprised if and only if you aren't surprised which would surprise you and therein lies the paradox. Yep, sounds like a paradox to me. Good one. Smile
(December 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I mean that if you expect to be surprised at time X, but at time X you aren't surprised, wouldn't you then be surprised because you were expecting to be surprised but, weren't?

Hmm... I'm not sure. The surprise at the lack of surprise occurs after time X, when the surprise you were expecting didn't take place. So what really happened was a non-surprise at time X followed by a surprise at time Y (immediately after time X). Which I'm not sure is a paradox. Also, I'd question whether an expected surprise is actually a surprise, or rather an anticipated unusual event, whose exact nature is unknown. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm unsure.

'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
I think you have sussed the flaw. You can't be surprised and not surprised at exactly the same time. But maybe all paradoxes are really contradictions it's just we haven't been able to unravel them yet? Something either is or isn't.... so how can paradoxes really exist?
NO!

Because you are surprised about not being surprised rather than the thing that you thought would surprise you. Therefore it is a different 'surprise' that you have experienced.

Discuss...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
As well as the time aspect (the 'when'), you have also found an error in the thing aspect (the 'what').

Congrats Darwinian.... not a paradox....

Do you think that whilst a logical contradiction remains unable to be spotted and seems a paradox then it remains a paradox? Are paradoxes merely logical contradictions that haven't been spotted yet? (And so, was my paradox a paradox until its contradiction was spotted to be a contradiction?).

Or are paradoxes logical contradictions that logically can't be spotted?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newcomb's Paradox GrandizerII 23 2203 July 12, 2023 at 10:32 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are there other paradoxes analogous to the so-called "Paradox of Hedonism"? Porcupine 4 457 July 17, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  The Paradox of tolerance and current events TaraJo 16 4881 August 19, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Free Will - Yes/No? Excited Penguin 163 10428 May 17, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: quip
  Determinism, Free Will and Paradox bennyboy 98 20183 January 20, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  "Homosexuality is a choice" and its paradox FallentoReason 216 56329 August 29, 2013 at 1:25 am
Last Post: genkaus
  free will paradox justin 100 32705 May 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: wwjs
  Fitch's Paradox of Knowability Edwardo Piet 5 2296 August 23, 2010 at 5:24 am
Last Post: The Omnissiunt One
  Curry's Paradox Edwardo Piet 0 1281 August 22, 2010 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet