Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist only discussion of morality.
Atheist only discussion of morality.
There are some atheists that believe in an empirical objective morality.

I dispute that idea. Namely because I have seen no empirical evidence for the existence of objective morality and no believer in an empirical objective morality has presented evidence for that empirical objective morality.

They have presented what they think to be evidence, but the 'evidence' has invariably been some version of a non sequitur. Most often, it has been a variant of the naturalist fallacy.

But the conclusion that natural is moral should not be exempt from the necessary proofs of valid evidence and reasoning.
RE: Atheist only discussion of morality.
(August 25, 2010 at 7:28 pm)lrh9 Wrote: There are some atheists that believe in an empirical objective morality.

I dispute that idea. Namely because I have seen no empirical evidence for the existence of objective morality and no believer in an empirical objective morality has presented evidence for that empirical objective morality.

They have presented what they think to be evidence, but the 'evidence' has invariably been some version of a non sequitur. Most often, it has been a variant of the naturalist fallacy.

But the conclusion that natural is moral should not be exempt from the necessary proofs of valid evidence and reasoning.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.
Acting in a 'moral' manner is so poorly defined that the only clear concepts in it essentially involves treating others as you want to be treated. The golden rule, in other words, along with some BS about ancient religious traditions that no one honestly follows involving promotion of celibacy and abstinence and other retarded sexual and marital restrictions.

It's rooted more in human and animal social behavior that has evolved over time as a part of human sociology. In a sense, it exists, but it's entirely a facility of our social behavior and it changes with different social groups with only some commonalities.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
But I'm not discussing prosocial behavior as the basis for modern law and policy. I'm talking to people who sincerely believe that some things are literally and empirically right or wrong regardless of social or individual benefits or detriments.
I don't know of any evidence either. I have my own personal ethical views but I'm not sure how they could ever be objective. So I'm still a moral nihilist at the moment.

I'm quite interested in the idea that what we value are the only things we can value, and, since it makes no sense to say we should value what we can't, there's nothing else we should value. If we should value anything that is. And if we're not going to value anything then we're being amoral and not talking of what's moral.

I'm not fully convinced by anything really and as far as I'm concerned I'm a moral nihilist.
I consider myself a moral nihilist, but I don't think being a moral nihilist precludes the belief in values. I believe in values.
(August 25, 2010 at 7:50 pm)lrh9 Wrote: But I'm not discussing prosocial behavior as the basis for modern law and policy. I'm talking to people who sincerely believe that some things are literally and empirically right or wrong regardless of social or individual benefits or detriments.

Oh I see.
I wasn't saying it was the basis for law and policy (though I did make mention of it) - I was trying to make an arguement on an evolutionary/sociological basis in the sense of human relationships. I suppose I could make the arguement that that is the empiricism of a 'right' or 'wrong' in the sense that, among humans, it's virtually universal that murder is 'wrong' so it essentially becomes a self-fufilling natural law. Though that's a long stretch assuming it even has any merit at all.

In other words, somthing is right or wrong entirely because we consider something to be wrong, I'm trying to say, but again this arguement is somethign of a stretch to fit the arguement you're making.

I suppose I agree because it seems to be that you're making the arguement against the idea that there is an actual natural law governing morality, which is what I assume you mean by "empirical objective morality." Mostly because it seems to be the same idea as 'divine law' governing morality that is intrinsic upon all life under god's creation except the explaination is naturalistic. Though that's my current interpretation of your arguement.

Though honestly I think you need to explain a little more on the topic here because the details seem vague to me if the above isn't true.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
This is the extension of atheism and vegetarianism thread. Someone said that since some organisms feel pain it is wrong to kill and eat them.

It's as simple as that.
It seems to me that saying such a thing is nothing more than a reflection of the speaker's personal level of empathy for the animals in question.
(August 25, 2010 at 8:05 pm)lrh9 Wrote: This is the extension of atheism and vegetarianism thread. Someone said that since some organisms feel pain it is wrong to kill and eat them.

It's as simple as that.

Then I definately agree with you.
Granted I do personally believe that forcing things to suffer pain is wrong (I still don't know how I feel about boiling live lobsters - despite my LOVE of lobster), but like hell if I'm not going to eat things that can feel pain. Some of my favorite things to eat can feel pain!

As one guy on futurama said, we'd probably eat people too if they didn't taste lousy. (Though in futurama they do drink soylent cola, so I suppose humans are better in soylent and/or cola form.)

Though I suppose the serious point of mine here is that neurons firing pain signals into the brain or not from the preparation to being eaten does in no way I can see have an intrinsic moral value to it that isn't also assoicated with eating living things in general.
I mean, why discriminate between a broccoli and a cow? They're both precious living things with just as much right to live as one another, why should I discriminate between one or another?
It's this line of thinking that some things, because they are alive and want to live, intrinsicly makes it more moral to make sure they live a full productive life, but another grand, long lived living thing - such as poison ivy or cabbage, are living things also. Why should we discriminate and prey on them in lieu of cows, pigs, and chicken?

If living things are precious and should not be killed, then all murder is wrong - be it mosquito, human, or the human enslavement tree. On that morality we should eat nothing except sunlight and 100% pure water that has been treated to carefully remove all single-celled organisms from being digested or we should eat nothing at all.

It's ridiculous.

The counterargument was that organisms with a more developed central nervous system and brain are more worthy of not being eating because they can feel more pain and are more aware than lesser organisms.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1832 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  "Are all actions in life based on interest only"? WinterHold 38 2792 April 16, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10310 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 36729 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Do we only do things we want to do? DodosAreDead 9 1104 November 19, 2018 at 12:41 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17903 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1332 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 67066 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8295 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 16737 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger