Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving and White Cane Law
Driving and White Cane Law
Question: Why is learning about White Cane laws not mandatory for drivers ed? It makes no logical sense.

http://www.afb.org/blog/careerconnect-bl...-street/12
RE: Driving and White Cane Law
A quick Google search will reveal several states' DMV study guides that address White Cane Laws, so I don't think that's the issue. I think that encountering a blind pedestrian is such an infrequent occurrence that without practice and reinforcement, as with anything in life, the knowledge escapes.

That said, the protocol is mostly common sense. In large cities like NYC, it is perhaps easier for blind pedestrians in that there's typically a throng of people with which to cross with; i.e., makes it easier to determine when to cross. Cities like Nashville have audible cues associated with their crosswalks in an effort to help.

Awareness through White Cane Day and as you're doing here goes a long way. I really think it's the infrequency that's the issue. In NY it wasn't that uncommon as a pedestrian to encounter a blind person, but I honestly can't recall the last time I encountered a white cane at an intersection as a driver.

Thanks for sharing, awareness is the key.
(October 15, 2016 at 7:26 am)Cato Wrote: A quick Google search will reveal several states' DMV study guides that address White Cane Laws, so I don't think that's the issue. I think that encountering a blind pedestrian is such an infrequent occurrence that without practice and reinforcement, as with anything in life, the knowledge escapes.

That said, the protocol is mostly common sense. In large cities like NYC, it is perhaps easier for blind pedestrians in that there's typically a throng of people with which to cross with; i.e., makes it easier to determine when to cross. Cities like Nashville have audible cues associated with their crosswalks in an effort to help.

Awareness through White Cane Day and as you're doing here goes a long way. I really think it's the infrequency that's the issue. In NY it wasn't that uncommon as a pedestrian to encounter a blind person, but I honestly can't recall the last time I encountered a white cane at an intersection as a driver.

Thanks for sharing, awareness is the key.

My biggest problem with drivers is no matter the individual state law about white canes. Once I as a person with a clearly visible (oh the irony) visual impairment has set foot upon road. YOU MUST STOP. Now that being said, me making indications to cross, setting cane first or foot first in the street, blah blah that's all states rights nitpicking bullshit. But when I'm in the actual act of crossing and some dummyhead still proceeds to turn in front of me? Oh no! Buddy, Alaina has damn near zero vision. So you (not you personally sweetie) not stopping is not only illegal but a nice juicy lawsuit waiting to happen
Well, yeah ... if I had a dime for every thoughtless driver I've seen, I could retire in style.

People don't stop for school buses discharging children anymore, why the fuck would they inconvenience themselves for a blind person ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

As a sighted person who nearly got run over in a crosswalk twice in the last ten days, I can sympathize, but I am hardly surprised.

People suck.
Was that you ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes, you bastard. Watch where you're going.
Step lively, I'm busy and have a truck.

I just got a second car after taking the bus home for 4 and a half months. One of the most harrying thing about the bus is crossing the street after you get off. I had a number of scares in the crosswalks. It's got to really suck for sight-impaired people.

I got my driver's license in 1977 and I have never heard of white cane laws. I guess there was less awareness of visually-impaired individuals back then.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 412 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  That pro white thread. TheClearCleanStuff 161 21648 May 5, 2022 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 3952 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  BMW to build self driving motorcycle onlinebiker 12 714 July 9, 2021 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  More from the self intitled white anti maskers. Brian37 57 2711 April 21, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 141 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  More entitled white woman problems. brewer 62 2788 December 30, 2020 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Aristocatt
  Your Villain Is Served - Middle Aged White Man Duty 15 1119 December 27, 2020 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Distracted Driving Penalties BrianSoddingBoru4 31 1164 November 14, 2020 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Sal
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 1880 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU