Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fractional Reserve Lending
Exclamation 
Fractional Reserve Lending
There is 1.9 trillion dollars in the Australian economy, in total. Most people would think that means that the RBA has printed/minted $1.9 trillion in notes & coins. That's not so. The amount of actual currency that exists is only $311 billion (sources here and here). The current national government debt is $405 billion as of the start of this year. To put that into a perspective people can understand: if the government held all of the currency that exists in this country, they still could not pay back the debt!

This is because of a practise that enriches the rich called fractional reserve lending. Due to this practise, most of Australia's money exists purely as bank deposits artificially created by banks, this is allowed because banks only need to hold a small amount of currency money in reserve. There is 6x as much "bank created" money in Australia than there is real currency. Now you might say that "bank created money isn't really money", the reason why it IS money is because it's backed and guaranteed by the government just like currency is. If it wasn't then you could make the argument that it's "investment money" or something.

So why does it enrich the wealthy? It should be obvious. Based on our 6:1 ratio - mind you, out of the $311 billion, ~$65 billion is in circulation. So that that tells you about 80% of currency is held by banks, meaning we have ~$246 billion in currency held by banks. So the ratio of money created by banks to currency (money created by the Royal Australian Mint) is actually ~7.7:1. Right, so who created the other $1.59 trillion and got to issue it and spend it themselves? That's right - the banks did. Imagine if the government were the ones to issue all that money, that would mean the government would have no debt and hold $1.1 trillion in reserve that they could spend any time they want.

So we have this stupid system that enriches banks unfairly, and puts everyone else into debt to the banks - even governments. This is the same system that caused the global financial crisis. Yes, the GFC was caused by banks shorting on high-risk mortgages, but the trigger mechanism doesn't matter: when people default on their loans the banks accumulate their property &/or assets.

& if anyone wants to explain to me why this system is better than 100% reserve banking then have it.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Fractional Reserve Lending
Congrats! You've just become aware of something I knew about years ago.... as the same thing applies to the Unites States Federal Reserve.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Fiat currency, no?

(October 19, 2016 at 4:59 am)Nymphadora Wrote: Congrats! You've just become aware of something I knew about years ago.... as the same thing applies to the Unites States Federal Reserve.

I've not "just" become aware of it, and yes I could have easily phrased it in the US context or the UK context - or any other.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Cecil Adams has a column about how the US does it.

I might be able to find a link. As I recall, he wasn't concerned about it, don't recall the thinking behind it though.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

As I understand, Fractional Reserve practices exist in order to avoid the need for physical collateral to underwrite currency (e.g. as opposed to the Gold Standard). The reason for this is capitalist profiteering: the more money available, the more money that can be made and capitalism requires profits to always increase. The need for collateral was a bottleneck and Fractional Reserve removed that blockage.
Sum ergo sum
You set up frb and full reserve as opponents OP...so why not let depositors decide who they'd rather trust their assets with?  Let the gov set thresholds, ban egregious practices, sure...but also refuse to allow them to underwrite the risks and failures that any bank using either system might take (it's central banking as-practiced..and not either system in and of themselves that create the issues you seem to be concerned with).  I think you'd find that successful frb banks outperformed their full reserve counterparts by orders of magnitude...this is, ofc, why we went with the system to begin with.  Those who were risk adverse would use full reserve banks, while those who wanted to assume a little risk in order to avail themselves of longer lines of credit would use frb banks. Others would avail themselves of both.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Sounds like you need to set up a bank.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
You know..on that note..it's amusing to note..that there's no law that says a bank -has- to use the frb provisions offered.  They could, if they wanted to, go full reserve.  Though I don't know why anyone would.  I guess they'd have to split the baby between paying employees and shareholders and granting loans.  Not sure that would go over well with any involved party.  Higher fees, shorter lines of credit, reduced profits, reduced pay.  

They'd need a hell of alot of luck to make it work against frb even if frb -wasn't- backed by a central bank, and luck isn't the kind of thing you want to hear when you're talking about the place you store your cash, amiright, lol?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Emergency Backup Auxiliary Refuge Reserve Subsidiary Spare Accessory Thread vorlon13 29 2540 February 21, 2016 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet