Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New forum game: Word Mastermind
New forum game: Word Mastermind
If you've ever played the game Mastermind where someone makes a hidden row of colored pegs and the other guy guesses until he figures it out, you pretty much already know how to play.  In that game each guessed row is scored with black pegs for correct color in the correct location, white pegs for correct colors in the wrong location.

So in this game, when a guess word is made, it will be scored simply as "x letters in the right location and y letters in the word but in the wrong location", dispensing with the need for colors.

For example suppose the hidden word is "soak".  The scoring would be as follows for the given guess words:

"read" = just one letter in the correct location

"tile" = none correct

"bras" = one letter in the correct location, one other just in it

"boat" = two in the correct location

"loam" = two in the correct location

"koan" = two in the correct location, one other just in it"

"soak" = correct, game over

I propose the following form for the game to take here.  I'll start the first round in the next post.  Anyone who wants to play should quote/reply to that post (or the most recent one in the chain), guessing an english word of the length specified.  I'll quote/reply that post giving the score for the guessed word.  Anyone can make the next guess making use of all the clues already given.  The first person to guess the hidden word can start the next round by specifying the number of letters in the new hidden .  Probably best to pass and leave it open for someone else to start the next round if you won't be available to score the guesses that are made.  Since I've got to get busy soon, I'll start the first round with a small word.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or to suggest revisions to the format. Gloating and trash talking are entirely permitted so long as no forum rules get broken.
RE: New forum game: Word Mastermind
The hidden word has just three letters.
First guess - "eat".
(October 27, 2016 at 12:29 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: First guess - "eat".

eat = none
"Run"
(October 27, 2016 at 12:35 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: "Run"

run = none
"For"
(October 27, 2016 at 12:39 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: "For"

eat = none
run = none

for = one in it but out of place

[If you reply/quote this one, I'll keep all the guesses together for you.]
Still don't have it
(October 27, 2016 at 12:44 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: Never mind.

Too many letters (and words).   Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] 'Counterargument - immediate fresh argument'---a forum game. Porcupine 16 1480 July 19, 2020 at 4:32 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  New game released! Looks good! Fidel_Castronaut 2 308 October 27, 2018 at 8:51 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The "Love It" or "List It" Forum Game Foxaèr 9 1673 October 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New Space Game: No Man's Sky Secular Elf 10 2471 October 5, 2015 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Forum Mafia Game Losty 40 5375 December 9, 2014 at 5:09 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  New ideas for a computer game? paulpablo 23 5666 June 7, 2013 at 3:03 am
Last Post: Ryantology