Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate
Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate
And no, it's not surprising that he's a Republican:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/illinois-sena...30072.html

Quote:Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk is under fire for a racially charged quip made against Democratic challenger Rep. Tammy Duckworth after questioning her family’s military service.

During Thursday night’s debate, Duckworth, who was born in Thailand to a mother of Chinese descent and a white father from the United States, proudly cited the extensive record of military service on her father’s side of the family, stretching back to the dawn of the country.

Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran and former assistant secretary of Veterans Affairs, argued that it’s important that senators understand the burden carried by military families when debating whether to send the nation’s men and women in uniform into harm’s way.

“My family has served this nation in uniform going back to the Revolution. I’m a daughter of the American Revolution. I’ve bled for this nation,” she said at the University of Illinois in Springfield. “But I still want to be there in the Senate when the drums of war sound, because people are quick to sound the drums of war, and I want to be there to say, ‘This is what it costs; this is what you’re asking us to do. And if that’s the case, I’ll go.’ Families like mine are the ones that bleed first.”

When it was Kirk’s turn to respond, the Republican uttered a single sentence that was intended to be a zinger but merely resulted in awkward silence: “I had forgotten that your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington.”

This is a guy who renounced his support for Donald Trump after Trump's comments about a judge of Mexican descent not being impartial during the Trump University lawsuit.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
RE: Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate
All the kooks and half-wits find their way to the republicunt party.
It's sad that someone can look at a war veteran who gave her legs while serving her country and all they can see is "She looks like a gawldam furriner, she must not be a true 'Murican."
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 28, 2016 at 12:30 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: And no, it's not surprising that he's a Republican:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/illinois-sena...30072.html

Quote:Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk is under fire for a racially charged quip made against Democratic challenger Rep. Tammy Duckworth after questioning her family’s military service.

During Thursday night’s debate, Duckworth, who was born in Thailand to a mother of Chinese descent and a white father from the United States, proudly cited the extensive record of military service on her father’s side of the family, stretching back to the dawn of the country.

Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran and former assistant secretary of Veterans Affairs, argued that it’s important that senators understand the burden carried by military families when debating whether to send the nation’s men and women in uniform into harm’s way.

“My family has served this nation in uniform going back to the Revolution. I’m a daughter of the American Revolution. I’ve bled for this nation,” she said at the University of Illinois in Springfield. “But I still want to be there in the Senate when the drums of war sound, because people are quick to sound the drums of war, and I want to be there to say, ‘This is what it costs; this is what you’re asking us to do. And if that’s the case, I’ll go.’ Families like mine are the ones that bleed first.”

When it was Kirk’s turn to respond, the Republican uttered a single sentence that was intended to be a zinger but merely resulted in awkward silence: “I had forgotten that your parents came all the way from Thailand to serve George Washington.”

This is a guy who renounced his support for Donald Trump after Trump's comments about a judge of Mexican descent not being impartial during the Trump University lawsuit.

Wonder if he'll renounce support of his own candidacy just to be consistent.
Cringeworthy, as the article suggests but is it really racist?

I can't really make my mind up about this one but the man is an idiot, yes.
(October 28, 2016 at 1:36 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Cringeworthy, as the title says but is it really racist?

I can't really make my mind up about this one but the man is an idiot, yes.

For once I find myself in agreement with you on a matter like that. It doesn't seem to be racist, just stupid. I expected worse when reading the article. The final quote rather surprised me. Like in, expecting quite a heavy punchline and coming up empty.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I agree, astonishingly stupid even, but not exactly racist.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

It's borderline prejudiced in a "where are you really from?" kind of way, which is what people of colour and even non Anglo-Saxon white people get asked a lot in America and Britain.

I don't think it's racist to assume her family are Thai if she is a somewhat East Asian-looking woman who was born in Thailand. That's an easy mistake to make, it's the same as people hearing my surname and assuming I'm Italian, or looking at how some of my family members look and assuming they're Arabs or Turkish. If you line up a group of white people and ask "which is French, which is Italian, which is Croatian?" most people will get it wrong too.

I'm more stunned by the "George Washington" bit, ffs and this is a man in politics? I weep.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

(October 28, 2016 at 2:34 pm)Yeauxleaux Wrote: I'm more stunned by the "George Washington" bit, ffs and this is a man in politics? I weep.

Well her ancestors did serve in the revolution...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yeah but he said "parents"...

I'm guessing it was just a slip of the tongue, I hope so anyway
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wyoming Senator gets booed at Commencement. Jehanne 4 662 May 17, 2022 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Political debate via meme Foxaèr 287 21212 November 4, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Anyone watch tonight's debate? Brian37 19 762 October 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  Why I Might Watch The Next 'Debate' BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1587 October 22, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  If your senator is Republican... Gawdzilla Sama 5 576 October 5, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trump vs Biden debate WinterHold 95 6144 October 3, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  New ‘Debate’ Format Suggestions BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1008 October 1, 2020 at 8:41 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone watch last night's debate? Brian37 9 826 September 30, 2020 at 9:28 am
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 480 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
  Black Lives Matter is not anti racist, but pro marxist Ramus932 25 1974 June 14, 2020 at 2:10 am
Last Post: Zepp