Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical characters you admire
Historical characters you admire
In my case, I admire many. 

1. Dante Alighieri, italian poet. He wrote the greatest book of all time: The Comedy, nowdays called The Divine Comedy. Took him around 20 years. He also made many investigations regarding language in Italy and other countries, and even though many of his research was based on christian beliefs, he made astounding progress all by himself. His life is interesting, too. He was exiled from Florence, and never had the opportunity to go back (except for once which he denied, since he had to accept public humilliation). He had to abandon his family and almost roam streets begging for food. And finally, he created the myth of Beatriz, who according to historians, was a real woman, and her name was Bice di Folco Portinari.

2. Isaac Newton. What type of mind do you need in order to develope integral calculus, required to prove your physical theories? Marked a before and after in sciences.

3. Nikola Tesla. Since I am an electrical engineer it is obvious I admire Tesla. For his inventions and mind. And for the fact that he lived alone for all his life. Never married, and even moved to a country far from his father and mother. 

4. Friedrich Gauss. For his contributions to mathematics and science. He did in 77 years what a 1000 men cant do in 10 lives.

According to many, Arquimedes is above all of these men, since he had to invent everything by himself. Algebra did not exist in his time. Mathematics in general was not defined as a discipline. And yet, he discovered many things. I know too little about him to include him to my list though.
RE: Historical characters you admire
we had a similar topic a while back, but it's a good one to revisit!

Kettering

he figured out how to make cars start with a battery and a starter motor, no more cranking the damn things to start them !
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yes, we had pretty much the same thread some weeks ago.

I say the same I said there. There are quite a lot who's contributions to the world I admire. I don't admire the whole person though. Newton certainly is among them. Moved science forward quite a bit, but at the same time, by all accounts, was a raving religious fanatic.

Mozart would be another one. He might be the closest to admiration, in my case. The man Mozart obviously didn't give a shit over the conventions of his time. He rather composed for and hung out with the ordinary people than sucking up to the elites. One of the first rockstars I would say.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I heard Napoleon was pretty good at Risk. For the first half of the game anyway.
Margaret Thatcher, as I said in the previous thread.
Nietzsche, the greatest and only philosopher I admire without reservation in my mind. I believe his contribution to the world of thought is yet undervalued, particularly where antitheism is concerned. The man was, perhaps, the only true genius that came whole and didn't disappoint on any level.
John Chapman , a.k.a. Johnny Appleseed. Stayed one step ahead of western migration planting apple trees so that those pioneers could have cider and brandy which he sold to them. A forward thinking moonshiner.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Whoever invented the wheelbarrow. Bloody useful things, wheelbarrows.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Nikola Tesla is absolutely my first choice.
2. Socrates-the Godfather of philosophy
3. Jesus-though I don't believe he was the son of God (only my opinion) I do think he was a real person and I gotta give him credit for influencing a mass amount of people for over 2000 years.

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk
(November 1, 2016 at 3:34 pm)phoenixrose03 Wrote: Nikola Tesla is absolutely my first choice.
2. Socrates-the Godfather of philosophy
3. Jesus-though I don't believe he was the son of God (only my opinion) I do think he was a real person and I gotta give him credit for influencing a mass amount of people for over 2000 years.

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk

Why Tesla? Fellow engineer, perhaps?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical events turn into movies Fake Messiah 43 3268 October 21, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  historical quote/s altered or not the original?(amemrican goverment) Quill01 5 1042 July 25, 2022 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  An Historical Perspective BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1605 June 18, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Possibly the Best Historical Analogy for The WLB To Date Minimalist 6 1032 January 30, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: paulpablo
Lightbulb Who's Your Favorite Historical Figure? thesummerqueen 152 12675 November 10, 2016 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Quest for the Historical Paul Minimalist 44 7634 May 18, 2016 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Historical Standpoint Blondie 30 4611 October 22, 2015 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Atheist historical figure you should know. Brian37 14 4092 September 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus