Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
where to find scientific studies and reliable statistics
where to find scientific studies and reliable statistics
Hi there,
I'm constantly coming up with questions by myself and during debates such as:
-whats the percentage of x in y country that is z?
-whats the effectivness of p?
-is there any correlation between q and r?
etc etc

Does anyone know what the most comprehensive and credible research tool for scholarly articles and statistics?
I'm looking for something like Google Scholar but with better search tools, and more comprehensive.
I'm a college student also, so that might give me better access to stuff.
I know that a lot of credible organizations have their own vast databases, but I'm looking for something like Google Scholar that links the best ones together.
RE: where to find scientific studies and reliable statistics
If you are looking for country statistics, or correlations of stats between countries, then there is no finer resource that GapMinder: http://www.gapminder.org

It's a free, open, academic program that you can run on your computer. It allows you to look at how different country stats have changed over time.

For anything else, I presume some Googling would reveal the answers. If you can't find it on Google Scholar, try going to an actual journal (i.e. Nature, Science, etc) and doing a search.
(August 30, 2010 at 2:44 pm)Tiberius Wrote: If you are looking for country statistics, or correlations of stats between countries, then there is no finer resource that GapMinder: http://www.gapminder.org

It's a free, open, academic program that you can run on your computer. It allows you to look at how different country stats have changed over time.

For anything else, I presume some Googling would reveal the answers. If you can't find it on Google Scholar, try going to an actual journal (i.e. Nature, Science, etc) and doing a search.

thanks for the suggestions! gapminder looks promising. exactly what I was looking for in terms of statistics. For other scholarly research though its a real pain to have to subscribe to all these journals, more or less find the best ones. Though those journals you mentioned are great, I've never checked out any search tools of theirs, I guess I should.
Anyone have any other recommendations for research. What besides google do people use in the midst of a debate?

Check out ScienceDaily.com. While it is generally a listing of news articles on various topics they do tend to mention the specific studies that support them.

From there, it is a question of looking up that study.

(Stay away from answersingenesis. Those people are loons.)
(August 30, 2010 at 3:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Check out ScienceDaily.com. While it is generally a listing of news articles on various topics they do tend to mention the specific studies that support them.

From there, it is a question of looking up that study.

(Stay away from answersingenesis. Those people are loons.)

yuck what an ugly website. You're right, it looks like a pretty good resource for news though, thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1035 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5995 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4603 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Questioning Scientific Titans ScepticOrganism 19 3058 July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Scientific Studies IATIA 9 1845 May 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Interesting Find in Israel Minimalist 6 1424 November 25, 2015 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Major Find: Antiochus IV's Citadel in Jerusalem Minimalist 22 3656 November 8, 2015 at 11:03 pm
  Significant Find in Southern Greece Minimalist 2 1224 October 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm
  Who Knows. Might Find Something. Minimalist 10 3354 October 25, 2015 at 2:51 pm
  Go for a walk, find a Viking sword The Valkyrie 19 4037 October 23, 2015 at 6:08 pm