Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you grok this?
Can you grok this?
‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ Being Developed at Syfy

Quote:Universal Cable Productions and Paramount Television are teaming to develop a series adaptation of Robert Heinlein’s 1961 science-fiction novel “Stranger in a Strange Land” for Syfy.

A piece of the American science fiction canon, “Stranger in a Strange Land” tells the story of Valentine Michael Smith, a human born on Mars who comes to earth in early adulthood and eventually transforms its culture. The television adaptation will be executive produced by Brad Fischer, James Vanderbilt and William Sherak of Mythology Entertainment; Scott Rudin, Garrett Basch and Eli Bush of Scott Rudin Productions; and Joe Vecchio of Vecchio Entertainment.  Mythology’s Julia Gunn will be co-executive producer.

“Paramount TV is excited to have the opportunity to adapt Robert Heinlein’s seminal work of science fiction,” said Paramount TV president Amy Powell. “This novel has resonated with me since college and there’s a reason it has continued to find new fans for over forty years. Syfy’s understanding of imaginative and futuristic programming is unmatched, making them an ideal partner for this series.”

Universal Cable Productions is the studio operation of NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, which is also Syfy’s coporate parent. UCP and Paramount have also collaborated on USA’s “Shooter” and Spike’s “Pendergast.”

“From my point of view, ‘Stranger in a Strange Land’ isn’t just a science fiction masterpiece…it also happens to be one of my favorite books ever!” said NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment chairman Bonnie Hammer said. “The story is timeless and resonates more tha
Read this first time in 1963. Got a teacher fired over it in 1965.
RE: Can you grok this?
I think I tried reading it, but it did not hold my interest. Maybe the show will be better.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
If Heinlein fails to hold interest, can I recommend Haldeman?  I have this theory (in the colloquial sense, lol) that not liking the one is almost a direct indicator of whether or not you'd enjoy the other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Rhythm Wrote: If Heinlein fails to hold interest, can I recommend Haldeman?

I will give Haldeman a shot.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The Forever War is what people usually get introduced to him with.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI184XG/ref...TF8&btkr=1
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2016 at 5:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The Forever War is what people usually get introduced to him with.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI184XG/ref...TF8&btkr=1

And there's a sequel to that. Also, John Steakley's Armor. 

However, if you like The Forever War then Starship Troopers would be of interest, I think.
I've read em both, I like Haldeman and Heinlein. I just like sci fi in general, for it's ability to speak truth to the present (or past) from the future, and to reality, from a point of fiction...I guess.

( I liked forever war for something alot of people noticed, "in command of troops he can barely understand" - I joined before the big 9/11 divide. I left country in 01 and didn't come back for years, not even on leave...the place was different, lol)
(November 17, 2016 at 5:13 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I've read em both, I like Haldeman and Heinlein.  I just like sci fi in general, for it's ability to speak truth to the present (or past) from the future, and to reality, from a point of fiction...I guess.

( I liked forever war for something alot of people noticed, "in command of troops he can barely understand" - I joined before the big 9/11 divide. I left country in 01 and didn't come back for years, not even on leave...the place was different, lol)

I left the US in January 1970 and spent at most a month each year back here. Many years it was two weeks or less over the next 16 years. I chose foreign countries for shore duty (including Puerto Rico (you have to be there)) and burned the "It's not just a job, it's an adventure" candle at both end. When I finally returned to the US I was a bit let down. 

And yeah, I read all kinds of SciFi, anything I could get. Analog and Fantasy and Science Fiction were great samplers back then, introducing me to new authors.
I remain saddened and depressed over the cluster fuck that happened to the TV adaptation of Childhood's End.

While I loved SiaSL, my expectations for this project hover around zero.

They fucked up Wrinkle in Time too, but I'm assuming no one here saw that piece of shit on TV.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Check out the Australian adaptation of "All You Zombies", called "Predistination".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I be Frank with you, you don't like tea. Brian37 17 855 November 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: no one
  You've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it'll change your perception of music forever Alex K 5 1240 April 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Alex K