Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's be honest
Let's be honest
OK, reaching out to my agnostic/atheist friends.  I'm very curious, genuinely interested, are there are "arguments" that theists have provided for proof of a God's existence (not even the Christian God), that you found compelling?  Or caused you to pause and perhaps say, there might be A God out there?

I found that when it's all broken down in most debates, an agnostic/atheist boils down to moral arguments/judgments against God, which in and of themselves does not disprove there being a God per se.  Just that they refuse to accept a God they find reprehensible.
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.
RE: Let's be honest
No. Kind of a double whammy, right? I have no reason to believe that these gods exist and they're all moral trash as the faithful tell it. Looks like it's rubbed off on you, too. The OP insinuates that anyone who doesn't believe the silly shit you believe..is fronting. Let's be honest.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Raised Catholic, I didn't ever really buy into the belief. In my late teens and early 20s I really thought I HAD to believe in something and perhaps that was another faith that spoke to me. I read and searched and tried but nothing really 'took' with me. If I ever see an argument that I find compelling, I will look into it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 12, 2023 at 1:59 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: No.  Kind of a double whammy, right?  I have no reason to believe that these gods exist and they're all moral trash as the faithful tell it.  Looks like it's rubbed off on you, too.  The OP insinuates that anyone who doesn't believe the silly shit you believe..is fronting.  Let's be honest.

I'm not clear how my post insinuated anything of the sort.  I simply asked if there was any argument given that caused you to pause and believe there to believe in a deity.  Einstein's Spinoza God as an example.  Rejection of religion, indoctrination, God of the Bible, but was a deist in terms of there seems to be an intelligent being out there responsible for what we see/experience.
(May 12, 2023 at 2:02 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: Raised Catholic, I didn't ever really buy into the belief.  In my late teens and early 20s I really thought I HAD to believe in something and perhaps that was another faith that spoke to me.  I read and searched and tried but nothing really 'took' with me.  If I ever see an argument that I find compelling, I will look into it.

Appreciate that candor, AWTY.  Intellectually honest.  If something is compelling it's worth looking in to.  Most people do not go that far, especially if they don't WANT what they are hearing to actually be true given the logical conclusions of its outworking.
(May 12, 2023 at 2:09 pm)Kingpin Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 1:59 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: No.  Kind of a double whammy, right?  I have no reason to believe that these gods exist and they're all moral trash as the faithful tell it.  Looks like it's rubbed off on you, too.  The OP insinuates that anyone who doesn't believe the silly shit you believe..is fronting.  Let's be honest.

I'm not clear how my post insinuated anything of the sort.  I simply asked if there was any argument given that caused you to pause and believe there to believe in a deity.  Einstein's Spinoza God as an example.  Rejection of religion, indoctrination, God of the Bible, but was a deist in terms of there seems to be an intelligent being out there responsible for what we see/experience.

You know, I believe that wholeheartedly.  Just like I believe you don't see how you continue the same in the response to another poster above.  Yet another demerit for this whole business?  

Spinoza was an atheist who had his work published posthumously...for reasons.  No, I don't find that a spinozan philosophy makes me think a god does or might exist, and it's pretty clear spinoza didn't either.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Never found any convincing evidence for the existance of gods
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(May 12, 2023 at 2:22 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(May 12, 2023 at 2:09 pm)Kingpin Wrote: I'm not clear how my post insinuated anything of the sort.  I simply asked if there was any argument given that caused you to pause and believe there to believe in a deity.  Einstein's Spinoza God as an example.  Rejection of religion, indoctrination, God of the Bible, but was a deist in terms of there seems to be an intelligent being out there responsible for what we see/experience.

You know, I believe that wholeheartedly.  Just like I believe you don't see how you continue the same in the response to another poster above.  Yet another demerit for this whole business?  

Spinoza was an atheist who had his work published posthumously...for reasons.  No, I don't find that a spinozan philosophy makes me think a god does or might exist, and it's pretty clear spinoza didn't either.

Demerit?  For prompting an honest question?
The business of gods.
(May 12, 2023 at 1:56 pm)Kingpin Wrote: an agnostic/atheist boils down to moral arguments/judgments against God, 
I wouldn't call these arguments.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 158473 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Let us think why humanity developed several religions but only one science? Nishant 10 2885 January 4, 2017 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My honest reason for disliking the idea of God purplepurpose 47 6091 December 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Athena777
  Let's exchange some recipies rado84 1 869 December 1, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Let's talk about.... dyresand 7 1837 November 8, 2015 at 10:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Let's create an eternal blissful life through science FreeAtheist 18 4773 October 12, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My honest review of Christianity dyresand 165 17546 October 23, 2014 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Let's answer CARM's Questions for Atheists Dolorian 89 19653 September 17, 2014 at 7:00 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Let's join the dots ignoramus 20 2899 June 20, 2014 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  let the GAMES BEGIN!!!! BlackSwordsman 14 2519 May 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Tonus