Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old testament v. new testament
Old testament v. new testament
Ok. A question for all christians to answer; We Atheists tend to quote a lot of very dodgy verses from the old testament in order to illustrate what a toe-rag god is-see thread on favourite bible verses.
What I want to know is this; How do you feel about the old testament god? How do you justify what he supposedly got up to? OR do you just write it off as a load of old story tales and believe that the new testament is the "true" word of god?
How the hell do you reconcile that god of the o.t. with the jesus guy? If they are the same entity, why are they so different? DO you think that maybe jesus changed into a "nice" bloke for some reason or what?
Genuine question. I'm not trying to take the piss. I just want to know your thoughts.Thinking
RE: Old testament v. new testament
Quote:DO you think that maybe jesus changed into a "nice" bloke for some reason or what?
I guess crucifixion is a life changing experience..
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
(September 2, 2010 at 10:59 am)annatar Wrote:
Quote:DO you think that maybe jesus changed into a "nice" bloke for some reason or what?

Yeah but he was doing all the healing and humble stuff BEFORE they nailed him up!

OLD TESTAMENT
The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever. (Isaiah 40:8)

NEW TESTAMENT
The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you. (I Peter 1:24-25, quoting from Isaiah)

And yet many Christians are selective on what applies today and what does not.
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(September 2, 2010 at 11:02 am)mem Wrote:
(September 2, 2010 at 10:59 am)annatar Wrote:
Yeah but he was doing all the healing and humble stuff BEFORE they nailed him up!

Yea you are right.. Sad
He may have seen that was coming though..
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
Indeed
Arguably, the NT isn't any more loving than the OT god. He just learned to use the passive voice and diffuse responsibility:

OT god: I smite thee!
NT god: I regret that you aren't saved.

In some ways, the NT god is much more cruel. As Hitchens has pointed out, the OT god would smite you and that's it. You're dead. Oblivion for you. It was the NT god who invented this whole torture-in-Hell forever thing.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Jesus interpreted the OT correctly, explaining what the laws really meant and what aspirations to Godliness really were. What we see is not God doing bad stuff, but people doing what they do yet referring to a just God to find out how to be fair in their subsequent actions.
fr0d0 the O.T. on many occasions puts God on the forefront of all the violence and death that is contained within it.
Example: 5.And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
6.And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
Numbers 21:5,6

Who did this God or man fr0d0? And the reason this loving asshole did this was because the people were complaining about God and that shitty manna that they were damned tired of eating everyday. The O.T. is chock full of atrocities perpetrated by God himself not to mention the other atrocities he specifically ordered the Hebrews to carry out.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

In that story the people were choosing to live apart from God and were suffering the consequences. I guess we all expect to get burnt if we put our hands in the fire. I guess you could blame God but that would be misguided as you're blaming him for what are the consequence of his goodness... the bad stuff that happens when you act contrary to that. Yeah it's tough but it does you no good rebelling because of your crappy situation.

So clearly God is not at fault here. Any more?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8507 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6293 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35969 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16836 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 108289 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10473 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22541 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 22009 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 6902 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution
  Does the New Testament contain sexism? Mudhammam 78 14623 October 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: Zidneya