Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I don't believe in religion
Why I don't believe in religion
I'm glad I can say something like this here without being bashed.

To me, religion is a set of fake beliefs that stop you from living life to the fullest. 'that's a sin', you have to pray, and all that crap.

In every religion, why is Homosexuality a sin? Why are things like sex before marriage, masturbation, and the like, consider sins? If god (who I believe in), is all forgiving, why create hell? Wait! If god loves everybody, then why is there such thing as hell anyway?

Why am I not allowed to do 'whatever' because god doesn't like it? Why do I have pray? Also, the main factor, why is there more than one religion? If 'religion was real' then why are there only one? Why to people keep saying that the US is a christian country? Why do some Muslims (won't bash as my family are Muslims) kill in the name of religion? 

People try to force people to 'choose a religion', people try to make and/or add laws that oppose of something they believe is a sin.

I have no problem with religious people, however, I want they to stop forcing their views/beliefs on me. I will never believe in religion. Also, religion in bad.

Please don't bash, and I probably sounded really stupid in the post. Undecided
RE: Why I don't believe in religion
Quote:If god (who I believe in),

So.......... let me get this straight.  You don't believe in religion but you do believe in a god who is obviously so inept he can't manage to design a religion that you would accept?
(November 28, 2016 at 10:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

So.......... let me get this straight.  You don't believe in religion but you do believe in a god who is obviously so inept he can't manage to design a religion that you would accept?

Oh, um....

Actually, god wouldn't create a bunch of religion, to be honest, why would he create religion?

I'm sort of confused with your question.
(November 28, 2016 at 10:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

I'll take a stab at this. To me, she sounds like she'd be a deist. Would that be accurate enough, NA11?
(November 28, 2016 at 10:47 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 10:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: So.......... let me get this straight.  You don't believe in religion but you do believe in a god who is obviously so inept he can't manage to design a religion that you would accept?

I'll take a stab at this. To me, she sounds like she'd be a deist. Would that be accurate enough, NA11?

Hm, I don't think i'm a deist though. I looked it up on Wikipedia Tongue, and I can disagree with some of the things that describe them.
There are thousands of religions throughout history.  If 'god' gave a shit about religion then you'd think that making one that stuck would not be beyond his ability.  Of course, the big point against the deist god is "so what?" 

But if religion is strictly man-made bullshit then god is simply the product being sold.
(November 28, 2016 at 10:50 pm)Na11 Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 10:47 pm)Jesster Wrote: I'll take a stab at this. To me, she sounds like she'd be a deist. Would that be accurate enough, NA11?

Hm, I don't think i'm a deist though. I looked it up on Wikipedia Tongue, and I can disagree with some of the things that describe them.

Okay, I may be wrong then. Basically, to clear up the general deist stance, they believe in a god, but don't take a stance on religion in general or believe that the god is really interacting in much, if at all, since creation. I've just read a bit of your posts and you appear similar to this stance to me, but you may differ on some parts. Where would you say you disagree? Also, what else do you specifically believe?
(November 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Na11 Wrote: In every religion, why is Homosexuality a sin? Why are things like sex before marriage, masturbation, and the like, consider sins? If god (who I believe in), is all forgiving, why create hell? Wait! If god loves everybody, then why is there such thing as hell anyway?

Some religions say these things. To say that they all do would be wrong. Judaism does not recognize Hell. And according to polls taken after the SCOTUS decision on same-sex marriage, more Reform Jews are accepting of homosexuality than atheists. And if you consider more spiritual beliefs like Buddhism and Taoism to be religions, then they certainly do not condemn homosexuality, masturbation, etc. These things are primarily Christian and Muslim teachings. And even then, only certain sects condemn them.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(November 28, 2016 at 10:40 pm)Na11 Wrote: I'm glad I can say something like this here without being bashed.

To me, religion is a set of fake beliefs that stop you from living life to the fullest. 'that's a sin', you have to pray, and all that crap.

In every religion, why is Homosexuality a sin? Why are things like sex before marriage, masturbation, and the like, consider sins? If god (who I believe in), is all forgiving, why create hell? Wait! If god loves everybody, then why is there such thing as hell anyway?

Why am I not allowed to do 'whatever' because god doesn't like it? Why do I have pray? Also, the main factor, why is there more than one religion? If 'religion was real' then why are there only one? Why to people keep saying that the US is a christian country? Why do some Muslims (won't bash as my family are Muslims) kill in the name of religion? 

People try to force people to 'choose a religion', people try to make and/or add laws that oppose of something they believe is a sin.

I have no problem with religious people, however, I want they to stop forcing their views/beliefs on me. I will never believe in religion. Also, religion in bad.

Please don't bash, and I probably sounded really stupid in the post. Undecided

Hell is simply the absence of love and goodness in one's heart. Since we are made for love and ultimately won't feel fulfilled without it, choosing to reject it for our own pride and selfishness will ultimately bring us nothing but misery and emptiness when we leave this life and don't have material things to distract us. That is Hell, and it is simply a bi product of our free will as human beings.  

And yes, I'm using love as a synonym for God here as I believe they are one and the same.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(November 28, 2016 at 10:52 pm)Jesster Wrote:
(November 28, 2016 at 10:50 pm)Na11 Wrote: Hm, I don't think i'm a deist though. I looked it up on Wikipedia Tongue, and I can disagree with some of the things that describe them.

Okay, I may be wrong then. Basically, to clear up the general deist stance, they believe in a god, but don't take a stance on religion in general or believe that the god is really interacting in much, if at all, since creation. I've just read a bit of your posts and you appear similar to this stance to me, but you may differ on some parts. Where would you say you disagree? Also, what else do you specifically believe?

Not speaking on her behalf, but it sounds she'd simply be a theist, since theism is defined as belief in the existence of a god or gods; specifically : belief in the existence of one God viewed as the creative source of the human race and the world who transcends yet is immanent in the world. No religion required.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4674 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 7831 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7514 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 12887 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Here’s Why You SHOULDN’T Believe In God BrianSoddingBoru4 46 3907 April 5, 2020 at 8:03 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Why do people believe that Beowulf is fiction? I_am_not_mafia 59 12902 June 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 21635 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8462 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3148 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene