Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 7:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Evolution
Question about Evolution
I know this is a stupid question, but bear with me here. This is not skepticism of any kind, but a mere question.

If a cause of natural selection is mutation, how would that work, if mutation is a random process? I'm stuck here. If natural selection is adaptation, then how could genetic mutation be a part in it if it's random? Thanks in advance.
RE: Question about Evolution
Mutation is the raw material, natural selection acts upon mutation.

Suppose a fish is hatched with a mutation that provides ever-so-slightly better oxygen extraction.  The mutation itself is thoroughly random, but it provides a benefit that may make that particular fish better able to adapt and to breed than some of its cousins.  Since mutations occur at the genetic level, this new trait will be passed on to some of the mutated fish's young.  The fish that inherit this trait will be 'fitter' and more likely to survive and breed.  The mutation (random) has thus been selected for (non-random).

Good question.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2016 at 8:34 pm)RiddledWithFear Wrote: I know this is a stupid question, but bear with me here. This is not skepticism of any kind, but a mere question.

If a cause of natural selection is mutation, how would that work, if mutation is a random process? I'm stuck here. If natural selection is adaptation, then how could genetic mutation be a part in it if it's random? Thanks in advance.

I'm no biologist, just to clear that up before I begin.

Off the top of my head natural selection isn't mutation.  Natural selection is simply the process that certain living things live, breed and pass on their genetics and others don't.  The genetic traits that caused the breeding/continued living were passed on.  The genetic traits that hindered breeding or survival aren't passed on because these living things died and didn't breed.

The mutation is what happens before the selection. It's not that the mutation is the selection that doesn't really make much sense in any way that I can see. 

The same with adaption.  There's no goal or direction in mutation.  The living beings that mutated a certain way that benefited their breeding or general survival, survived and bred better than those that didn't.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(November 29, 2016 at 8:34 pm)RiddledWithFear Wrote: I know this is a stupid question, but bear with me here. This is not skepticism of any kind, but a mere question.

Not all mutations are even noticeable, they don't harm the important parts of a body. But sometimes, not very often, but sometimes, they have an effect. Sometimes it's positive, sometimes negative. If it's positive and gives a slightly better chance of passing on an organism's genes. A positive mutation doesn't cause a large change in a organism, just a small one. Say a zebra gets a slightly better dazzle pattern. She gets more chances to pass along that mutation. It spreads among the host's population. Eventually all the population has it. Then it's just a wait for the next positive mutation. 

On the other hand, if a mutation causes a deer to be colored "Hunter's orange" he's a deader, because that's like a red cape to a fighting bull for hunters.  Wink
Human beings have all the genetic machinery except one little piece for us to be able to make our own vitamin C. In fact rats and some other animals can.

Long ago, when our ancestors had access to plentiful citrus (or whatever else has vit C) that little mutation blipped our ability to make it 'in house' and it wasn't much of a negative mutation till sailors started taking long voyages and got scurvy, a disease caused by insufficient vitamin C in the diet.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(November 29, 2016 at 8:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Mutation is the raw material, natural selection acts upon mutation.

Suppose a fish is hatched with a mutation that provides ever-so-slightly better oxygen extraction.  The mutation itself is thoroughly random, but it provides a benefit that may make that particular fish better able to adapt and to breed than some of its cousins.  Since mutations occur at the genetic level, this new trait will be passed on to some of the mutated fish's young.  The fish that inherit this trait will be 'fitter' and more likely to survive and breed.  The mutation (random) has thus been selected for (non-random).

Good question.

Boru

Thanks for the response! Makes a lot more sense now.

(November 29, 2016 at 8:48 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Mutation is the raw material, natural selection acts upon mutation.

Good question.

Boru

Thanks for the response! It makes a lot more sense to me now.
It's all rubbish I tell ya!

You're all gonna burn!
(if Trump doesn't get you first!)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Good question.

Boru

Good explanation, except for the "ever-so-slightly" part. Such a mutation would likely be lost in the shuffle.
(November 30, 2016 at 11:44 am)alpha male Wrote:

Good question.

Boru

Good explanation, except for the "ever-so-slightly" part. Such a mutation would likely be lost in the shuffle.

There are very few "bold strokes" known in evolution. "Small changes, Ellie, small changes."
Yeah, got to stop imagining it was a guppy just last week but now its a toad! That isn't evolution. That would be magic. Evolution is tiny strokes, many of them over lots and lots of time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quick question about evolution Yoo 29 3335 August 28, 2016 at 9:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  A unresolved question about evolution marianomanto 6 1491 October 5, 2015 at 7:53 am
Last Post: marianomanto
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30274 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Demolition of the theory of evolution in the 20 question Attractive boulevards 26 16015 June 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  One billion A.D. A question for evolution fans. Darwinian 30 10597 December 17, 2008 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet