Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick question about evolution
Quick question about evolution
Hi everyone! This is my first thread on this site, and I'm starting small.
I just had a thought today, thinking about venomous animals.

Why is the venom of some animals, like certain kinds of spiders and scorpions, strong enough to kill even a human? 

Surely they don't need venom that strong for their prey, which is not much bigger than mice I'd say, so that can't be the reason. I find it hard to believe that it's for self defence, because the venom doesn't kill or weaken the threatening predator fast enough for it not to be able to kill its prey.

Maybe these sorts of questions shouldn't be on here, because they're too specific, but I'm curious and maybe some of you find this interesting as well.
(English isn't my first language so don't kill me for getting words wrong 'n stuff)

Edit: The question has been answered, but the discussion is now about how an evolutionary arms race could have started.

Another question!
You know those flashy colored frogs? Poisonous animals often have very distinct colors, this has been interpreted as a warning to predators. There are even 'fake' ones, that aren't even poisonous, but do have the flashy colors to put off predators.
The first poisonous animals probably were poisonous out of self protection, like those frogs we see today. Now let's focus on the moment where those animals got flashy colors. I can't really think of how a poisonous animal would benefit from showing its poisonness to predators. Your first reaction might be: That way predators know it's poisonous, so they won't eat it.
I have a problem with that simple explanation, because: the first poisonous animal that showed its poisonness to predators was, obviously, the first one. The predators had no built-in mechanism for avoiding that particular 'warning sign', so they wouldn't refrain from eating it. You might say that the color might have just put the predators off, but simply being brightly colored doesn't usually put predators off. Then we would probably see a whole lot more brightly colored animals, like bright-green rabbits or something. And of course bright colors in animals are usually accompanied by some kind of venom. So why did the bright colors evolve?
I also don't get why being poisonous for self defence can you anywhere at all as an insect, because who cares if the predator dies or not AFTER eating you?
RE: Quick question about evolution
I think some specific prey animals had evolved increasing immunity to the venom, which led to venom arms races causing some snakes to be incredibly poisonous to other animals that aren't normally prey
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(August 28, 2016 at 2:43 pm)Yoo Wrote: Hi everyone! This is my first thread on this site, and I'm starting small.
I just had a thought today, thinking about venomous animals.

Why is the venom of some animals, like certain kinds of spiders and scorpions, strong enough to kill even a human? 

Surely they don't need venom that strong for their prey, which is not much bigger than mice I'd say, so that can't be the reason. I find it hard to believe that it's for self defence, because the venom doesn't kill or weaken the threatening predator fast enough for it not to be able to kill its prey.

Maybe these sorts of questions shouldn't be on here, because they're too specific, but I'm curious and maybe some of you find this interesting as well.
(English isn't my first language so don't kill me for getting words wrong 'n stuff)

Yep, the venoms arms race boi.

You should make an introduction thread. Or post your conversion story.

Not you Alex K...
Enough with the customary system. It's all metric.

google yields an example

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-ani...squirrels/
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Venom isn't solely used to catch prey but for self defense as well, and when every other predator or threat around you is venomous, one needs to evolve their potency to stay safe. Also in same environment, potential preys would've evolved immunity to venom as well, thus triggering the need for more potent venom.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 28, 2016 at 2:47 pm)Alex K Wrote: I think some specific prey animals had evolved increasing immunity to the venom, which led to venom arms races causing some snakes to be incredibly poisonous to other animals that aren't normally prey

I've read about arms races, didn't think of that though, you're porbably right. 
Some thoughts: 

Because the prey is usually very small, the amount of venom they get is a lot relative to their size, so even though they are better adapted to handle it, they react just as strongly to the venom as we do...?

What does a poisonous predator have to gain from very weakly poisoning a prey, like the earliest spiders probably did? Is that really a strong enough pressure for the first incidental venomous spider to have a real advantage?

Btw, will make an intro!
(August 28, 2016 at 3:10 pm)Yoo Wrote: What does a poisonous predator have to gain from very weakly poisoning a prey, like the earliest spiders probably did? Is that really a strong enough pressure for the first incidental venomous spider to have a real advantage?
Injury, incapacitation. Hurting or disorienting something is halfway to putting it on the plate, at least. In defense..if your bite just hurts..and mine makes you sick......I'm gonna win that fight.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 28, 2016 at 3:10 pm)Yoo Wrote: What does a poisonous predator have to gain from very weakly poisoning a prey, like the earliest spiders probably did? Is that really a strong enough pressure for the first incidental venomous spider to have a real advantage?

Hunting prey is only one side of the coin. Defending yourself against a larger predator is another. Survival pressure would thus favour higher toxicity of venom.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
A strong poison is a "don't fuck with me" system. Mammals and reptiles take note.
Hey there! Interesting question.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a term for this? Quick thinking in a crisis. Gawdzilla Sama 14 1923 September 27, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Truth about Vaccines:A quick refutation Duke Guilmon 92 21026 May 8, 2017 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Question about Evolution RiddledWithFear 18 2640 November 30, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  A unresolved question about evolution marianomanto 6 1493 October 5, 2015 at 7:53 am
Last Post: marianomanto
  Quick train question...(puzzle) lifesagift 33 6323 December 18, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30297 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Demolition of the theory of evolution in the 20 question Attractive boulevards 26 16046 June 26, 2009 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  One billion A.D. A question for evolution fans. Darwinian 30 10637 December 17, 2008 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet