Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prayer
Prayer
Prayer consists of the following things:

-Showering God with praise
-Worshipping him
-Thanking Him profusely
-Supplicating and begging him for help or favors

That's it.

You can't just chat with God about the weather.  You can't have an intelligent conversation with Him.  You can't ask Him questions.  You can't argue with Him.  You can't level with Him like an adult.

God is terrible.
RE: Prayer
(December 5, 2016 at 9:51 am)Athena777 Wrote: Prayer consists of the following things:

-Worshipping him
-Thanking Him profusely

Actually... No Below is the most basic elements of a prayer according to Christ:
Quote:Luke 11:
One time Jesus was out praying, and when he finished, one of his followers said to him, “John taught his followers how to pray. Lord, teach us how to pray too.”
2 Jesus said to the followers, “This is how you should pray:
‘Father, we pray that your name will always be kept holy.
Acknoweledge God and who He is and How even His name be set apart/made Holy.

Quote:    We pray that your kingdom will come.
We Pray for His will First.

Quote:3 Give us the food we need for each day.
We ask for our daily need

Quote:4 Forgive our sins,
    just as we forgive everyone who has done wrong to us.
We ask God to forgive us to the same degree we forgive others. (Which is a problem for those who can not forgive others)
Quote:5
And don’t let us be tempted.’”

That God keep us from temptation.

Worship is not apart of prayer. Worship is worship.

Being Thankful is not apart of the core of what makes a prayer a prayer however you can indeed praise God in prayer, however real thankfulness is based on how you live not what you say.

And my biggest gripe is that supplication is not even modeled in prayer. Not that it is wrong to ask God for 'stuff' it's just asking God for stuff has nothing to Do with prayer, even though religious traditions tell us otherwise.

God always answers prayer, as we are praying for Him to change us, and provide us with what we need. However God is not obligated in anyway to answer a formal wishing ceremony.

Quote:That's it.

You can't just chat with God about the weather. You can't have an intelligent conversation with Him. You can't ask Him questions. You can't argue with Him. You can't level with Him like an adult.

God is terrible.
I've never talked about the weather other than maybe 'Lord see us through this Hurricane' But there isn't a question I can't ask about Him, The Bible, or to reconcile a seeming impossible paradox without Him answering/doing that for me.

That was one of the reasons I started on line with answering questions.. I ran out of my own.

I have argued with God in that I wanted/demanded things a certain way and they did not go my way or worse yet they did and the oppsite of what i expected happened. I learned a long time ago to Trust Him even if you can not see the ultimate outcome, even if it looks and feels like you are going the wrong direction.

Lastly I don't pretend that I am an adult when speaking to God or rather I am not on His level. Yes I do get mad, and I scream cry and yell sometimes, but not as an adult but as a selfish wayward child might.

Why?

Because I know the higher up on that cognitive ladder you are at looking God in the eye, the more you are ultimately responsible for.
Don't forget Matthew 6:6, it won't work if you don't do it right:

[Image: 1fdna1.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

You don't have the stuff about the "Kingdom of God" in the original version.

Protestants just added that 'cause they like the sound of their own feckin' voices.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(December 5, 2016 at 10:13 am)Mr Greene Wrote:

Time for another pogrom.  If the fuckers won't do it right, kill 'em.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 5, 2016 at 9:51 am)Athena777 Wrote: Prayer consists of the following things:

-Worshipping him
-Thanking Him profusely

That's it.

You can't just chat with God about the weather.  You can't have an intelligent conversation with Him.  You can't ask Him questions.  You can't argue with Him.  You can't level with Him like an adult.

God is terrible.

Welcome!!! Do we know you?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Why pray?
If god is all seeing and all knowing then he knows what you want to pray about already, so why waste his time telling him things he already knows
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

You can see it as meditation if you want. Praying makes me feel more at peace and has helped me get through the tough times.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(December 5, 2016 at 11:03 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Why pray?
If god is all seeing and all knowing then he knows what you want to pray about already, so why waste his time telling him things he already knows

Prayer is not about God knowing, It is about us acknowledging, and a willingness to change.
I prefer to masturbate; at least it produces something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the lunacy of prayer slartibartfast 100 5675 October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Global Prayer To End Atheism Foxaèr 60 7782 August 25, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: Brian37
  A prayer to God ... ignoramus 10 1051 May 3, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question about prayer. purplepurpose 27 5703 October 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Drich
  What do you think prayer is? vulcanlogician 44 6116 February 2, 2018 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63224 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  is collective prayer any more effective? ReptilianPeon 65 8351 June 14, 2016 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  imprisonment, rioting, killing - over PRAYER drfuzzy 15 4010 October 31, 2015 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  My thoughts on prayer dyresand 25 6046 October 14, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Biblical Prayer Contradictions Salacious B. Crumb 143 19879 July 4, 2015 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb