Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dangers of End time Prophecy
The Dangers of End time Prophecy
We’re having very warm weather here today. Last winter was quite warm also with several days of 70f. I don’t know I guess I just forgot to keep my mouth shut and asked this guy if he wasn’t sure we might not be having an early spring. He said it might be because the bible says in the end times…

My point here is not whether Jesus said aught about unseasonable weather, but the danger of end time prophecy is that it allows people to ignore the very real issue of global warming. Why worry about what we’re doing to our planet if this world is not your home. Maybe burning fossil fuel is god’s way of fulfilling prophecy.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: The Dangers of End time Prophecy
Jesus freaks have been whining about the 'end times' for about 1500 years now.  Their boy hasn't shown up yet.

Some people are just stupid, Rhonda.
(December 27, 2016 at 1:59 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: We’re having very warm weather here today. Last winter was quite warm also with several days of 70f. I don’t know I guess I just forgot to keep my mouth shut and asked this guy if he wasn’t sure we might not be having an early spring. He said it might be because the bible says in the end times…

My point here is not whether Jesus said aught about unseasonable weather, but the danger of end time prophecy is that it allows people to ignore the very real issue of global warming. Why worry about what we’re doing to our planet if this world is not your home. Maybe burning fossil fuel is god’s way of fulfilling prophecy.

Says someone with a Yuge 'carbon foot print'
I rest my case!
(December 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I rest my case!

Don't even need a jury for that one. A summary judgment will suffice.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(December 27, 2016 at 1:59 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: We’re having very warm weather here today. Last winter was quite warm also with several days of 70f. I don’t know I guess I just forgot to keep my mouth shut and asked this guy if he wasn’t sure we might not be having an early spring. He said it might be because the bible says in the end times…

You would think that as many times as people have been shown to be idiots, people would stop trying to predict when the end will come.  Read my lips people!  Jesus said that it was not for us to know the time.  Live in the present.  We shouldn't be living any differently whether the end is near or far away.

God gave the responsibility of taking care of this planet to all of mankind. Christians and all others are to do their best and if one wants to get picky no ones doing all they can.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(December 27, 2016 at 5:46 pm)Lek Wrote: You would think that as many times as people have been shown to be idiots, people would stop trying to predict when the end will come.  Read my lips people!  Jesus said that it was not for us to know the time.  Live in the present.  We shouldn't be living any differently whether the end is near or far away.

Jesus also said it would happen before the generation he was speaking to passed away. 800 years and we still haven't located the Wandering Jew.

--Voltaire

Lek,
We're not confused about what the Bible says on the matter, some of your vocal fellow Christians are. As GC alludes to, literate and concerned Christians should use the Bible to counteract the sentiment highlighted by the OP and help implore good stewardship of God's dominion. We never hear from this crowd.
Not only did Jesus warn his disciples that it was not for them to know when the end would come, but his explanation of the signs of the end times are events that happen regularly. Wars, pestilence, famine, war, earthquakes, unrest... these were things that were happening before he came, and which continue to happen since. He may as well have predicted that the rising of the Sun in the morning was a sign that the end was at hand.

Why do you think so many people have tried to predict the end of the world? They based their assumptions on those events, at least in part. The more creative ones start playing some very entertaining games with numerology to pinpoint the exact date, but apparently their lack of proof extends even to mathematics.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 1710 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 519 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Lightbulb the end is nigh 2!!! Drich 113 8626 October 1, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 14842 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 4742 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1445 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27516 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Sad My parents have gone off the deep end Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 6049 March 8, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  End of Times and career mcolafson 67 13596 October 8, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6154 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus