Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy
Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy
Hello fellow non-believers,

I registered here to look for assistance on a pretty specific topic. I want to find valid and well researched information on some of the claims that biblical prophets ( e.g. Jesaja, Hesekiel, Amos, Sacharja, Lukas, Apostels) made in regard to the reclamation of Israel. The named prophets are said to have predicted the Jewish Diaspora and also that god will return their ancestral home to them.

When I tried to find some credible information on the internet I usually came across christian websites claiming the validity of these prophecies with loads of Bible quotes. But not a single one that would provide relevant scientific research on the subject.

Why do I even care about that? The reason is a pretty personal one. A friend of mine is a very religious person and I had some pretty heated debates on a variety of subjects with him. Most of the time theses discussions will end with him replying that "I just have to believe or it won't work for you" rebuke. Most religious people I've debated came to that conclusion at some point or another.
But there is one particular topic I don't have enough information on. My friend likes to claim that god already delivered on his promise of returning their ancestral homeland to the Jewish people. And thus all scripture must be true.
Can you help me find the information that I seek?
RE: Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy
Well yeah bunch of poo poo promoted by delusional Christians. I mean here are some prophecies from the Bible

Jeremiah 49:33
And Hazor shall be a dwelling for dragons, and a desolation for ever: there shall no man abide there, nor any son of man dwell in it.

Dragons!!!

Isaiah 17:1
The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap

But Damascus is one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities.

Zechariah 10:11
They will pass through the sea of trouble; the surging sea will be subdued and all the depths of the Nile will dry up. Assyria's pride will be brought down and Egypt's scepter will pass away.

Last time I checked Nile never ever dried up. Or maybe it is dry now but communists-skeptics-liberals are keeping it a secret by controlling media and textbooks!
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(May 25, 2018 at 7:12 am)Narishma Wrote: Hello fellow non-believers,

I registered here to look for assistance on a pretty specific topic. I want to find valid and well researched information on some of the claims that biblical prophets ( e.g. Jesaja, Hesekiel, Amos, Sacharja, Lukas, Apostels) made in regard to the reclamation of Israel. The named prophets are said to have predicted the Jewish Diaspora and also that god will return their ancestral home to them.

When I tried to find some credible information on the internet I usually came across christian websites claiming the validity of these prophecies with loads of Bible quotes. But not a single one that would provide relevant scientific research on the subject.

Why do I even care about that? The reason is a pretty personal one. A friend of mine is a very religious person and I had some pretty heated debates on a variety of subjects with him. Most of the time theses discussions will end with him replying that "I just have to believe or it won't work for you" rebuke. Most religious people I've debated came to that conclusion at some point or another.
But there is one particular topic I don't have enough information on. My friend likes to claim that god already delivered on his promise of returning their ancestral homeland to the Jewish people. And thus all scripture must be true.

Hey, go over to the "introductions" section, and introduce yourself. Let us get to know you.

Having said that.

The motif of "seeing the future" is not a patent owned by Christianity nor did they invent it.

Long before even Jews, The ancient Egyptians and Greeks and Romans had people called "oracles" and "seers"  and "soothsayers".

It is all superstitious crap. This mythology unfortunately works the same way horoscopes work, the way "psychics" work, the believer, if they want to believe it works badly enough, they will believe it, but do so by seeing patterns in ambiguous words, after the fact and retrofit what they want to be true into it.

BUT, as far as Israel becoming a nation, that is convenient and self fulfilling. Of course you are going to work to making a nation if you believe your God wants that. The worst part for Jews however, is that while Christians claim they are their friends, the book of Revelations DOES NOT have all the Jews going to heaven along with Christians. So basically the conservative Christian interpretation of  the story, would be like a Jew being the Limo driver, then when you get to the Cosmic studio 54, the Christian tells you you can't go inside because it is an exclusive club.

Scientific method, say in astrophysics is predictive, the mythology of antiquity, worldwide, back then, was just that, mythology.

Israel didn't become a nation because the the Christian or Jewish God exists. It became one because believers pushed it because of their own desires.

In Greek mythology Apollo got rebuffed by Casandra, so he cursed her with the gift of prophecy but also that even with that 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandragift nobody would believe her until it was too late.

Point being, every religion is a spin off and or mix of prior and surrounding motifs. And even if you cant find a direct connection, humans can and do often make the same bad guesses as to the nature of reality, even if they never meet each other.

The  Australian Aboriginals, as too the Ancient Chinese had their mythologies about the constellations as did all of the ancient world.

Prophecy is not a real thing, anymore than Big Foot or Tooth Fairy.

I registered here to look for assistance on a pretty specific topic. I want to find valid and well researched information on some of the claims that biblical prophets ( e.g. Jesaja, Hesekiel, Amos, Sacharja, Lukas, Apostels) made in regard to the reclamation of Israel...

You're looking for well researched information on fictional characters?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Unfortunately not, because if it were real, there wouldn't be any atheists.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

In general, it isa variaton of cold reading. Note the hits and ignore all the misses.

As for Israel, I assume you refer to Isaiah 66:8 (A nation born in a day and all that BS.) Two points. While Israel did indeed declare statehood and independence on a single day (14-May-1948) How could they stretch such a declaration into longer than a day? This ignores all of the work, planning and negotiations over the preceding months so no, Israel did not become a nation in a single day. By that reckoning so did the US (4-Jul-1776) or pretty much any other country that formed a state.

Second, Isaiah 66:9 makes it clear that it is god who will do this. Isn't it odd, then, that he created Israel as a strictly secular state?
Revelant scientific research? You must be mad, mad I tells ya. 

Welcome to AF.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Welcome Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome, also!
[Image: KKeZvk75_o.png]
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 15083 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10721 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22418 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14594 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Dangers of End time Prophecy Rhondazvous 83 15723 January 23, 2017 at 2:53 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5182 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6281 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6760 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6328 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8268 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist