Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist/Secular books on self-confidence?....
Atheist/Secular books on self-confidence?....
I would love to read some secular books on self-confidence/self-reliance, which (of course!) I was always told was evil in the church. I hope started this thread in the right place.
RE: Atheist/Secular books on self-confidence?....
I wouldn't know f any atheist self-help books, personally, but I want to know what idiotic church told you that self-confidence was evil?!
Probably worried about the woo tampering with their own lies watson. It's understandable, when you have no substance to your ideas it's not a good idea to let people find out about equally unsubstantial ideas.

dave4shumps - Go get something done that you want to do, start with small things. go get a hair cut or a tatoo, or fix the porch. Achieving shit makes you confident like nothing else (except crack)
(September 9, 2010 at 7:49 pm)theVOID Wrote: Probably worried about the woo tampering with their own lies watson. It's understandable, when you have no substance to your ideas it's not a good idea to let people find out about equally unsubstantial ideas.

dave4shumps - Go get something done that you want to do, start with small things. go get a hair cut or a tatoo, or fix the porch. Achieving shit makes you confident like nothing else (except crack)

Yeah, they were worried about that. Even more so, at the church I went to, self-reliance-speaking of being self-made was considered evil. Achieving stuff does make you feel confident.

I remember encountering a few churches back in my fundie days that thought "counselling" was "unchristian" or whatever (unless it was "Christian counselling").

I don't know any specific books on the relevant topic here though...
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Try:

"You Are Not The Target" by Laura Huxley. (1955) It's A collection of Gestalt techniques rather than theory. They work.

Quote:Gestalt therapy is an existential/experiential form of psychotherapy that emphasizes personal responsibility, and that focuses upon the individual's experience in the present moment, the therapist-client relationship, the environmental and social contexts of a person's life, and the self-regulating adjustments people make as a result of their overall situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gestalt_therapy

A famous self help book is "I'm OK You're OK" and the sequel "Staying OK". There are probably newer, better books around,but I'm familair with and can recommend these.

Quote:I'm OK, You're OK, by Thomas A Harris MD, is one of the best selling self-help books ever published. It is a practical guide to Transactional Analysis as a method for solving problems in life. From its first publication during 1969, the popularity of I'm OK, You're OK gradually increased until, during 1972, its name made the New York Times Best Seller list and remained there for almost two years. It is estimated by the publisher to have sold over 15 million copies to date[1] and to have been translated into over a dozen languages[citation needed].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_OK,_You're_OK

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3801 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6788 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  self illusion joe90 18 3182 April 8, 2019 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: no one
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25944 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Is atheism self-contradictory ? Parsim0ny 259 84366 July 3, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2565 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  material self-dismantle truth_seeker 10 2398 March 14, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4134 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Bill Maher - Openly Secular PSA Minimalist 13 3176 August 1, 2015 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Jenny A