Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy books on trial
Holy books on trial
Greetings,

please have a look at this wikipedia link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_G..._in_Russia

The Bhagavad Gita trial in Russia was a trial that commenced in 2011 about banning the Russian edition of the book, Bhagavad Gita As It Is (1968), a translated version of the Hindu holy text, Bhagavad Gita, on charges of religious extremism. It contains a translation and commentary by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), commonly known as the Hare Krishna movement.

Isn't it a wonderful idea?

Why not put other Holy books on trial?

Bible... “go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey”
RE: Holy books on trial
Seriously?
(September 29, 2016 at 3:03 pm)mcolafson Wrote: Greetings,

please have a look at this wikipedia link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavad_G..._in_Russia

The Bhagavad Gita trial in Russia was a trial that commenced in 2011 about banning the Russian edition of the book, Bhagavad Gita As It Is (1968), a translated version of the Hindu holy text, Bhagavad Gita, on charges of religious extremism. It contains a translation and commentary by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, founder of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), commonly known as the Hare Krishna movement.

Isn't it a wonderful idea?

Bible... “go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey”

It was the specific translation that they wanted to put on trial.  Apparently, the author went hindu hitler in the commentary. They ended up dropping it...not because anyone disputed that, but because it was common to religious literature (lol......LOL)...so...pretty much expected and tolerated for other reasons.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 29, 2016 at 3:07 pm)LastPoet Wrote: Seriously?

Half-seriously. Killing time before my students' arrival.

But the trial was initiated by Russian Orthodox Church and it reminded me of 'People who live in glass houses should not throw stones'
A good application of the phrase, as noted by the courts themselves.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Someone lets you have students? I weep for the future.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 29, 2016 at 3:03 pm)mcolafson Wrote: Isn't it a wonderful idea?

No.

Quote:Why not put other Holy books on trial?

Religious freedom comes to mind. Besides, I'm all in favor of people getting a good, long whiff of what the religious folks claim to believe. It does wonders for helping people leave behind their childhood indoctrination.
(September 29, 2016 at 3:03 pm)mcolafson Wrote: The Bhagavad Gita trial in Russia was a trial that commenced in 2011 about banning the Russian edition of the book, Bhagavad Gita As It Is (1968), a translated version of the Hindu holy text, Bhagavad Gita, on charges of religious extremism. commonly known as the Hare Krishna movement.

Most people, or even governments, aren't brave enough to put any of the major religions' holy books or teachings on trial.  It would be extremely expensive and there would be such an outcry, threats, etc.  In the U.S. we constantly hear about the "war on Christianity" because over the past few decades the courts have taken away the privileges Christian churches claimed in the past. Can you imagine the chaos if we put the Bible on trial? Of course, it could happen to a cult or a minor religion without much ado, but because of our Constitutional freedom of religion, we pretty much let people believe as they wish, unless it is extremely harmful to the community at large or to individuals.  For example, courts have ruled against parents who refused medical treatment for their children because they believed prayer was the only way the child would be cured. 

If Salmon Rushdie and Ayaan Hirshi Ali had death threats against them for their writings, you can imagine what kinds of terrorism a government would expect if they held a trial on the Quran.  

Besides the fact that such a trial of any major religion would cause a zillion problems, it wouldn't change minds.  It has been proven that it is almost impossible to change a long-held belief. In fact, when someones' long-held belief is threatened, s/he becomes determined to believe it even more. This applies to politics, racial bigotry, but especially religion.

Most holy books have been questioned often enough that if anyone wanted to read about their flaws and inconsistencies, anyone can find the information. Here are a few sources:

Thomas Paine's "The Age of Reason" questions much about Christianity, including parts of the Bible.  

Thomas Jefferson cut apart the pages of the Bibile (I think the New Testement, only) eliminating anything that was supposedly a miracle or went against the laws of nature, leaving only the compassionate teaching of Jesus. The result is known as the Jefferson Bible.  

Bart Ehrman, a Biblical historian, studies the Bible and, along with other Biblical scholars, tries to determine where and when various parts of the Bible were written, and by whom if they can figure that out.  All of his books are interesting and explain a lot of the inconsistencies that came about by oral tradition, faulty copying, various early sects trying to include their own points of view, a committee deciding what to include and what to leave out, etc.  In some cases, stories that had never been in older editions suddenly appeared in newer ones, obviously made up to skew the reader toward a group's or individual's own beliefs. 

A blog called "Dwindling in Unbelief" by Steve Wells closely examines how many people God killed versus how many were kiiled by Satan in the Old Testament. (Satan wasn't even close.) Wells has also published an annotated Bible for skeptics and I think he may be working on one for the Quran and/or the Book of Mormon.
The problem with those who choose received Authority over fact and logic is how they choose which part of Authority to obey. The Bible famously contradicts itself at many points (I have never understood why any Christian would choose the Old Testament over the New), and the Koran can be read as a wonderfully compassionate and humanistic document. Which suggests that the problem of fundamentalism lies not with authority, but with ourselves.” ~Molly Ivins

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Holy Trinity Duty 22 2664 December 21, 2020 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2984 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6781 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  The 'Holy' Drug Matt 8 3582 October 11, 2018 at 11:10 am
Last Post: Sal
  Holy mountains Fake Messiah 2 1047 March 12, 2018 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Chad32
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2564 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4132 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  insult the holy spirit Longhorn 47 8800 June 10, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: comet
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7523 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Rejection of All that is Holy Neo-Scholastic 32 5013 November 19, 2014 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist