Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I Tell Them I'm Blind?
Should I Tell Them I'm Blind?
I just got my manuscript for another book back from my editor. It's never been necessity to tell them that I am blind. But now I think maybe I should.

In her comments I thought she wrote that she had rewritten my last chapter, but when I asked my manager about this, he pointed out that she said revisited not rewrote.

Now there are two ways to look at this. 1. I should tell them I'm blind so they won't think I'm nuts accusing her of what she didn't do. 2. I should not use my blindness as an excuse for my carelessness. Plus if the editor thinks I can't see anyway she might not do a good job on my next book.

What sayest thou?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Should I Tell Them I'm Blind?
If your blindness hasn't hindered you much before, just apologize and and leave it at that. If it's becoming more of a problem over time, then it may be best to come clean. It depends on if this is becming progressively worse or not.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Reasons aren't the same as excuses. You're blind, so you might come across a challenge because of it. Not an excuse.

I would just apologize for the mistake and move on. It's not relevant. That said, if you want to tell them, go ahead. I don't think the editor will screw you because they think you won't notice. That would be horrible.
Whether you tell them about your blindness is irrelevant to this honest mistake of yours, for this just apologize. But do not be afraid to let your editor know about your blindness, and it might be better if they find out from you than from other sources you cannot control.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I'd tell them.

Not being blind, a writer, or really understanding what "revisited" means, my input might not carry much weight.

Did you say something to the editor (or others) before you found out that it was "revisited" and not "rewritten"? If you did and it was not a good interaction, explain the situation and work it out.

As for coming out as blind, do what makes you comfortable. BTW, blindness is never an excuse, it's a condition. There should be no negative associations.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 24, 2017 at 2:13 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not being blind, a writer, or really understanding what "revisited" means, my input might not carry much weight.

Did you say something to the editor (or others) before you found out that it was "revisited" and not "rewritten"? If you did and it was not a good interaction, explain the situation and work it out.

As for coming out as blind, do what makes you comfortable. BTW, blindness is never an excuse, it's a condition. There should be no negative associations.

Yes, I wrote back Yipes! Sorry for misreading that.

She revisited/reread the chapter. I would not have appreciated her rewriting the chapter. She uses the track change feature of Word that lets me accept or reject her suggestions.

In my experience, people respond to blindness in different ways. Since I have a professional relationship with the editor and only interact through email, I found pros and cons for both telling her and staying mum. So I thought it a good idea to come here and get some perspective. Thanx
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Let them eat spam! Foxaèr 33 2079 September 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Thumbs Up Tell me YOUR weather is this screwed up. onlinebiker 5 626 April 15, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1341 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  (Yet Another) Tell Us About You Thread BrianSoddingBoru4 40 2671 September 12, 2018 at 6:25 am
Last Post: Lucanus
  Are people normally this confussing when you are asking them out? GODZILLA 62 7376 June 9, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 20775 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Tell us your age with a picture Foxaèr 74 9226 May 14, 2018 at 2:53 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  I will tell you a secret Foxaèr 16 2782 May 2, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which one would you rather be: Deaf or Blind? Omnicidal 41 5055 January 3, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Still a Christian - ask me questions/tell me about yourselves speedyj1992 194 32443 December 2, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb