Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 8:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Past Time Travel: What Paradox?
Past Time Travel: What Paradox?
So I'm going to try to argue the grandfather paradox in the following manner with 2 assertions:

1.  Any device that would reverse time will only be able to send the information no faster at the speed of light or causality (so in essence, the only time that will be effected would be within a light-cone spacetime interval away from the time traveling device that would gradually shrink...., so the whole Universe could not be affected)

2.  YOUR TIME will not go in reverse (A common assumption, Marty Mcfly doesn't get younger when he drives the delorion back to 1955).

3. Just to be fair, let's just assume everything is pre-determined (events would resolve the same assuming without your influence)

Okay, so given assertion one, you will not be reversing some "master clock that ticks the Universe" that people I think commonly mis-thinks time as.  Unless you break relativity somehow, this should be impossible at such a fundamental level that we wouldn't even be talking about "time" anymore if you are trying to change a "master clock".

Given this, you can kinda imagine a "master clock" as a conglomeration of little clocks going independent of each other even though it's more proper to think of it as separate light/causality cones. So where is the paradox of just turning one of these "little clocks" backwards huh?

To elaborate, say when you reverse time a whole light/causality cone around you (a little clock), since your time (or YOUR little clock) will not go in reverse, you'll still be ticking along a different timeline relatively speaking (thus a different past set of causes).  Meaning, when you reverse time, and decide to shoot your grandfather, all you are doing is just preventing a second version of you from being born. You will not disappear like in the movies because they are simply not linked (your existence is still dependent on a previous and different set of 'causes'!). 

If you still desperately want to try and create the paradox by adding the condition that you are reversing your own time too to link the two clocks, and just make a different decision, this still doesn't work because you will not have any "future memories" that will come along for the ride to see a change to compare (since your brain will be forgetting these as it progresses backwards in causality too!) Also, it means if you try to go before you are born to cause a paradox, you'll be turning into a child and then a baby, and then a zygote all the way back into the sperm/egg cell that made you....

I mean you really don't need assumption 1, but it's just to point out a misconception about time and info travel, and if you want #2 to be true it's kind of a packaged deal with #1.  You're going to have separate your own personal light/causality cone out somehow so you don't just get younger yourself as you go back in time.....and since all time and causality is indeed relative, not absolute, you can use this to your advantage to virtually prevent any sort of paradox.

I don't know thinking of time like this helps my brain escape a lot of logical contradictions about past time travel.  Feel free to carry my rant further or whatever!
[Image: tumblr_nvrbfbDXgM1u0bifgo1_400.jpg]
RE: Past Time Travel: What Paradox?
How is this different from the branching timelines idea where any changes will cause a separate parallel timeline?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I just wasted 5 minutes reading gibberish! Boy, How I wish I can go back in time now!

(I hear you brother! Just didn't make any sense) Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
We know that time travel will never be invented because no one assassinated Trump in January.
(February 8, 2017 at 3:30 am)Mathilda Wrote: We know that time travel will never be invented because no one assassinated Trump in January.

That's cause this is Earth-1 timeline Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 8, 2017 at 3:40 am)Aoi Magi Wrote:
(February 8, 2017 at 3:30 am)Mathilda Wrote: We know that time travel will never be invented because no one assassinated Trump in January.

That's cause this is Earth-1 timeline Tongue

Bollocks Sad
Mathilda, that's because he cancelled all funding of time travel research in order to finish off his great wall!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I suspect the problem with time travel involves counting. For example, when the argument's opening salvo of 'So I'm going to try to argue the grandfather paradox in the following manner with 2 assertions:' is immediately followed by 3 assertions, it becomes clear that even discussing time travel precludes one from doing the maths that would make a discussion of time travel possible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Hey, not so fast there Boru...

Tell us then, how did they invent calculators without calculators!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1725 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5914 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 2949 November 22, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Lee Smolin's "Time Reborn" and the Andromeda Paradox Gemini 17 3054 August 15, 2016 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 10615 March 24, 2016 at 5:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Physics distinguishing future from past watchamadoodle 13 2972 March 20, 2015 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Alex K
  EPR Paradox little_monkey 0 637 October 23, 2013 at 9:43 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  Sir Isaac Newton Time life magizines "Greatest scientific thinker of our time" franca 6 5878 October 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Neutrinos still travel faster than light Welsh cake 46 16680 December 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: Pete
  The past Darwinian 11 3017 June 9, 2011 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: lilphil1989