Play "Cards Against Atheist Forums" online now!
Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 26th June 2017, 10:02

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light?
Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light?
I understand from reading Hawking that an objects mass increases as it approaches the speed of light, thus requiring more energy, and since more energy is required than that which is available, the object can never reach the speed of light.

My question is why does speed increase mass. I suspect that I don’t have a clear understanding of what mass is. I associate mass with weight. But that definition doesn’t help me agree with the idea that nothing can travel faster than light since in a vacuum where there is no gravity and thus no weight/mass an object could theoretically travel faster than light
Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light?
Because God would pull any particle over which violated His law, cite and possibly incarcerate it.

(16th February 2017, 18:16)TheOther JoeFish Wrote: So what you're saying is that I can harass all of the members I want for the next 168 hours, as long as I do so in my signature?
Best ask Alex, since he seems the most qualified to answer your question. Far as I understand it, there already have been experiments at Cern beating that absolute. Not wanting to make a perfect fool of myself, I don't go into details. But I seem to remember they shot something out that was faster than light.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
The "Satan Particle" would be the perfect name for it.
(16th February 2017, 18:16)TheOther JoeFish Wrote: So what you're saying is that I can harass all of the members I want for the next 168 hours, as long as I do so in my signature?
Weight is a function of gravity, which is proportionate to mass - which is why on the Moon you would weigh a sixth of what you do on Earth. However, mass is essentially the amount of matter contained in an object. The two are not the same.
Emotions are a weaknes, used to control you. Remove them.
(12th December 2016, 10:10)Stimbo Wrote: Weight is a function of gravity, which is proportionate to mass - which is why on the Moon you would weigh a sixth of what you do on Earth. However, mass is essentially the amount of matter contained in an object. The two are not the same.
Now that was clear, concise, precise and to the point. Do we understand why the mass (amount of matter) increases as an object approaches the speed of light?
Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
The physicists are coming, the physicists are coming!!!
The same way Oprah does as she approaches the end of the cake shipment.

Angel
Emotions are a weaknes, used to control you. Remove them.
(12th December 2016, 10:30)Stimbo Wrote: The same way Oprah does as she approaches the end of the cake shipment.

Angel

Whether this response is to my post above or Rhondavous's above that does not matter. It works either way.
It's basically a fundamental property of nature that doesn't currently have a much deeper explanation. It's one of the direct consequences of the laws of special relativity and can be derived from the axiom that the speed of light is the same for all observers and sources, something that appears to be true.

@abaris: The OPERA superluminal neutrino thing was just a lose cable...
It's one of those typical examples that everyone reads the overhyped articles, and barely anyone the retraction Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 7 146 9th June 2017, 02:24
Last Post: ignoramus
  Past Time Travel: What Paradox? maestroanth 24 849 17th February 2017, 01:02
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Quantum tunnelling for space travel... Iroscato 8 599 22nd November 2016, 00:43
Last Post: Whateverist
  The Universe is bigger than was thought. Jehanne 23 1158 18th October 2016, 21:58
Last Post: Omnibus E Plrus Nhilist
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 705 20th September 2016, 21:26
Last Post: bennyboy
  The speed of light and discovering RozKek 45 1723 11th August 2016, 14:06
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Where does the Light Go when you Turn the Switch Off? Rhondazvous 9 490 5th August 2016, 13:04
Last Post: ScienceAf
  Can you catch light in a pot? pool the matey 53 2581 3rd June 2016, 23:56
Last Post: ignoramus
  Does the Law of Conservation of Matter/Energy Disallow Time Travel? Ari Sheffield 52 4622 24th March 2016, 05:04
Last Post: robvalue
  Travelling at the speed of light?[Question] Heat 62 5206 22nd October 2015, 05:53
Last Post: Alex K