Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views have somewhat changed
My views have somewhat changed
I would like to thank the majority of people on this site for being so kind and taking the time to answer my questions. I am going to take a huge leap here, but honestly, I think it is time to think more critically.
I have now decided that I am an agnostic. I am still not 100% convinced that some of the concepts I have brought up are explainable by science, but I think that it is important to think critically as many have said. Before I was quite sure that religion is correct. Now, I realized there are many things I do think that kind of oppose religion such as:
I don't believe the earth is only 6000 years old
I believe in evolution
I don't believe the creation story, or genesis
I am not even sure I believe Jesus came back from the dead

Anyways, thanks for everything so far!
Mirek Worship Worship Worship 

Angel
RE: My views have somewhat changed
awesome
That was easy.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(February 10, 2017 at 3:27 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: That was easy.

So much so that I must question the level of sincerity. It all feels a bit superficial. I hope I'm wrong.
Smile keep asking questions, kid. Never stop. Heart
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Mirek. We're not here to convert anybody... We don't have an agenda.

Some people are better off being religious ..it brings them peace and comfort. You decide for yourself.
Remember, you cannot control your thoughts or your beliefs ...They will evolve on their own. The fact that you are here not wanting to preach tells me that subconsciously, you've already decided that something isn't right.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 10, 2017 at 3:38 am)Cato Wrote:

So much so that I must question the level of sincerity. It all feels a bit superficial. I hope I'm wrong.

The kid is 15. A sponge. I think it could perhaps be sincere. Maybe.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(February 10, 2017 at 3:38 am)Cato Wrote:

It all feels a bit done before. All over it.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
The important thing here isn't your belief/stance right now, it's your attempt at being critical and thinking outside of what you've been taught that I really appreciate, so, well done :p

Also want to point out if something isn't 'explainable' by science, it isn't explainable by religion at all. Science is -the- method to find out about our reality. Even what you observe yourself might not be reality, think about that. When a schizophreniac hallucinates, they observe and actually see whatever they're seeing but that doesn't mean the demon is actually there. That's why we need methods, that we now refer to as science, and that's why we need peer review, to make sure everything is right. 

At last, it's completely OK to not know something, what isn't OK is to claim you do when you don't !
Develop a taste for babies, and you're making real progress! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My views on objective morality Catholic_Lady 1512 129391 April 1, 2016 at 3:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How would you describe your ontological views? The Skeptic 10 2710 July 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  think my beliefs have changed again :S what am I now? Jextin 20 3896 June 18, 2013 at 6:41 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Fear of dying because of my views dean211284 39 13593 July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Napoléon