Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 5:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear of dying because of my views
Fear of dying because of my views
I have not belived in heaven or any afterlife for years, but only recently I have become terrified of my own death and the fact I will be here no more and that is that etc. How is it fare that religious people get to look forward to death as they will: go to heaven/get many virgins/meet there creator (delete as applicable) while the people who have viewed all evidence And know the truth only see death as the end of everything. It is really getting to me, to the point I have difficulty sleeping because of it. Maybe you guys here could help me to understand.
RE: Fear of dying because of my views
Death is nothing to fear, as you will not be aware that you've died. In the meantime, life is for living... not for obsessing about death. Leave that to the believers.
(July 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm)dean211284 Wrote: I have not belived in heaven or any afterlife for years, but only recently I have become terrified of my own death and the fact I will be here no more and that is that etc. How is it fare that religious people get to look forward to death as they will: go to heaven/get many virgins/meet there creator (delete as applicable) while the people who have viewed all evidence And know the truth only see death as the end of everything. It is really getting to me, to the point I have difficulty sleeping because of it. Maybe you guys here could help me to understand.

Reality is cold and hard. The truth is something many cannot bare. It all depends on what you want and how you prefer to look at things. You can grasp onto comforting beliefs that you'll get exactly what you wanted or see reality for how it really is.

Death is the end of your existence. You won't even be aware that you had ever lived, seeing as all the information in your brain is destroyed.
Death is being in a state where time and matter no longer have any meaning to you, you'll be beyond such things. Billions of years will pass like seconds and you wouldn't even know. We each have already been dead for billions of years and yet for each of us, it was as quick as a nights kip.

Death is very much like sleeping, except no dreaming and no waking up. Some believe that at some point in the future you will return but as a totally new person, no memory of your past life. Reincarnation. That may be possible and true, we each could of lived a thousand lives and not even know about it. Perhaps this is the first time I've ever lived a life. What I am certain of, is that there is no heaven or hell for any of us. We're simply on a journey that is life, some wait for the end of the journey in hopes for another, some simply enjoy the time they have with no expectations for another. Which for me gives this life far more value.

Death isn't something to fear unless you're young and haven't lived yet.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Yeah I guess I already knew all that but it's still something I can't help thinking about. Just wish I could get those thoughts out of my head. But both your replys have helped me. Thanks.
(July 3, 2012 at 5:56 pm)dean211284 Wrote: Yeah I guess I already knew all that but it's still something I can't help thinking about. Just wish I could get those thoughts out of my head. But both your replys have helped me. Thanks.

Have more sex.

Eat a great meal.

Drink Lagavulin 21.

Read a great novel.

See a great concert.

Smoke some great pot.

Have more sex.

Dead people can't live it up like you can. Don't be dead until you are.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:but only recently I have become terrified of my own death and the fact I will be here no more and that is that etc.

That there is nothing after death is not an established fact,although I think it's pretty unlikely.

Like most animals,I'm afraid of dying,but not of being dead,IT'S NOT AN EXPERIENCE.I might just as well be terrified of dreamless sleep or of the aeons before I existed.

Being aware of your own mortality is healthy,obsessing and whining about it is narcissistic.

Quote:I was not. I was. I am not. I don't care (on a tomb in Pompeii)
You may have quit believing, you may believe these people are correct, yet no one can prove Christianity wrong, can not prove there is no after life and can not disprove heaven or hell and neither can you. The Holy Spirit is working with you and you can choose to listen or ignore Him, it's totally up to you. God is giving you another chance, what you do with it is up to you. Nuff said, I'm not preaching to you, an observation is all.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 4, 2012 at 1:58 am)Godschild Wrote: ...

Oh, for crying out loud, the Twat steps in to proselytize.

Quote:You may have quit believing, you may believe these people are correct, yet no one can prove Christianity wrong

Actually, they have.

Quote:, can not prove there is no after life

You assert this type of afterlife, a hindu asserts another, the ancient egyptians another, the greeks another, the romans another, the vikings another, and every bit of it is just ignorant twats making shit up as they go along. Your attempt to shift the burden of proving your version of an afterlife, as well as ay afterlife at all, is disingenuous fucktardery.

Quote:and can not disprove heaven or hell and neither can you.

Again. disingenuous fucktardery.

Quote:The Holy Spirit

What the fuck is a "holy spirit"? Another fairy story you proclaim by fiat. in other words, a pathological lie coming from a pathological liar.

Quote:is working with you and you can choose to listen or ignore Him, it's totally up to you.

"Him"...? Does it have a penis?

Quote:God

What's a 'god"....? -- another pathological lie form a pathological liar.

Quote: is giving you another chance, what you do with it is up to you.[quote]
It is giving you a chance to buy this bridge I have to sell. It overlooks prime ocean-front property in Colorado.

[quote] Nuff said, I'm not preaching to you, an observation is all.
Fucking lying, preaching asswipe.
(July 3, 2012 at 5:36 pm)dean211284 Wrote: I have not belived in heaven or any afterlife for years, but only recently I have become terrified of my own death and the fact I will be here no more and that is that etc. How is it fare that religious people get to look forward to death as they will: go to heaven/get many virgins/meet there creator (delete as applicable) while the people who have viewed all evidence And know the truth only see death as the end of everything. It is really getting to me, to the point I have difficulty sleeping because of it. Maybe you guys here could help me to understand.

What's funny is that most of the religious people I know fear death more so than do athiests. I personally am much more at peace understanding that like everything else in the Universe, I am only temporary.

I also believe that living with the knowledge that I am not immortal, gives me a better appreciation for the life that I'm living. It helps me remember that all we have is the present moment, and to make the most of it.
Quote:Quote:You may have quit believing, you may believe these people are correct, yet no one can prove Christianity wrong

Actually, they have.

Really? I didn't know that,when did that happen? I hadn't heard.

GC is up to the same boring old trick; trying to shift the burden of proof. It's his responsibility to prove his personal superstitions, not to anyone else to disprove them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People ignore what they fear Der/die AtheistIn 13 1860 December 11, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6317 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  My views have somewhat changed Mirek-Polska 16 1384 February 10, 2017 at 9:49 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 5120 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My views on objective morality Catholic_Lady 1512 133658 April 1, 2016 at 3:29 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God exists because we can imagine it Heat 46 7902 December 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How would you describe your ontological views? The Skeptic 10 2756 July 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  No fear. Creed of Heresy 9 3135 November 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fear of death Jackalope 156 52711 January 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Fear Loading Please Wait 33 7518 October 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake