Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interest/Desire & Actions
Interest/Desire & Actions
Do you pursue things that are only interesting? Do you also pursue and commit yourself to things that you find boring?
RE: Interest/Desire & Actions
Well, my hobbies are pretty absorbing (otherwise, I'd find other hobbies). I have business commitments that, at times, can be mind-numbingly dull.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Outside of work I try to pursue things that are interesting. I sometimes commit to things I find boring for life/career advancement, like certain classes needed that I might dislike. My main hobby is drawing and illustration, some times there are certain aspects and techniques that are repetitive and boring, but that about sums it up.
I find repetitions of the same subject boring. Does that count?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I like repetition. It's my favorite in fact.

In and out. In and out. In and out. In and out. Mmmm.

Sure, in different settings and different intensities and other novelties, of course, of course. Keep it spicy. Spice is variety.

But.......

still.

In and out. In and out. repetition. Mmm.

And people wonder why I like repetitive music?
I wouldn't know. Its been seven years. Thanks, rub it in my face.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
More than me.
(February 18, 2017 at 4:58 am)Adventurer Wrote: Do you pursue things that are only interesting? Do you also pursue and commit yourself to things that you find boring?

Thank you for this thread.  I used to think that math was very boring and disliked it very much.  However, when I became interested in assembling geometric models (solids) out of paper (modular origami), I realized that I really enjoyed geometric shapes.  As a result, I began to pursue mathematics and was able to develop some cool insights that helped me appreciate just how marvelous and beautiful it is.  Hence, in this instance, by pursuing something that I perceived to be dry and lifeless, I discovered that it was actually quite wonderful and full of life. 

FYI, I have not stopped my pursuit of mathematical knowledge, and I have found myself learning subjects that I would have considered to be uninteresting at first. For example, when learning differential equations, I found the linear algebra involved in solving systems of differential equations to be very cool; thus, this experience motivated me to learn basic linear algebra.  Furthermore, the integers modulo n, which I covered in my studies of discrete math, motivated me to get into abstract algebra. 

With that said, have you pursued things that you initially found to be boring but later found them to be cool and rewarding?  Thanks and live long and prosper.

(February 18, 2017 at 6:16 pm)Stimbo Wrote: I wouldn't know. Its been seven years. Thanks, rub it in my face.

There's your problem.  That's not where you rub it.
Chance would be a fucking fine thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2861 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Desire to have children Interaktive 10 2091 July 20, 2017 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  A Non-Human Interest Story TheRealJoeFish 12 1904 June 1, 2016 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Are "logical" and "rational" objective classifications of a person's actions? One Above All 2 956 February 22, 2015 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: One Above All
  Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions festive1 14 3760 July 19, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist