Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions
Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions
Perusing today's newspaper, and I see this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ques...story.html

I can't imagine... The guy wouldn't leave his seat at a movie theater... So the moonlighting cops/security guards arrest him and forcibly attempt to remove him from the theater... He falls, gets smooshed by the cops landing on top of him... And dies...

Given our recent discussions on police brutality, I'm interested in everyone's opinion. The cops were "doing their job" getting him out of the theater... But he was obviously mentally handicapped and his aide asked for 5 minutes for his mother to get to the theater to help diffuse the situation... What is right in this situation? I think it's obvious no one was trying to kill the guy, but he died nonetheless... His death wasn't worth a $10 movie ticket...
Oh... and the theater gave the people whose movie was disrupted by this incident free passes... The whole thing is just disturbing.
RE: Man with Downs Syndrome Dies Due to Police Actions
I am trying to find statistics on police violence now, because we hardly ever have such things occuring here.
Is police misconduct in the US higher than in European countries?
I have no idea what police misconduct stats are in Europe... If you find some, please link!
I think this is indicative of the fact that cops don't get proper training to deal with people like the mentally disabled and the mentally ill. They clearly treated this man as if he was just some average Joe, when all they would have had to do is wait for the mother, and she would have most likely been able to diffuse the situation.

I don't really blame these cops for this incident. I blame the flawed police system that forces cops to deal with situations without the proper training.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I read a German report some time ago which stated that there were still alot of problems throughout Europe with the procedere undertaken in such cases.
Police officers in Britain, France and Italy who are accused of misconduct often avoid punishment and suspention by going into early retirement.
And from the statistics I remember that Southern European countries such as Spain, Greece and Italy have almoust notorious police forces.
Especialy Spain and Greece where the police was used as a brutal instrument of power by the fascist regimes that ruled Greece and Spain until 1975 and where after the collapse of the regime the police forces weren`t cleansed of such elements which then continued to work in the new democracy.
France also is supposed to have a brutal Police force especialy in the socalled "Banlieues". In Germany I can only confirm the extrem brutality of the police in the east who have been revealed to be greatly influenced by right wing radical politics and where statistics have shown that from 10 police officers 1 used to work for the Stasi - generaly one can say that the "spirit" of the brutal police force of the east german communist regime still partialy lives on and has a negative effect n the east german police.
And where I currently live, in Austria, there is simply a saying that says all that needs to be known:

"Wirst du vergewaltigt rufe nicht die Polizei, denn die ist schon dabei."

"If you are being raped, dont call the police, because they are already here"

They generaly have a reputation of being sleizy, violent, unprofessional, corrupt, desinterested, right wing and only doing the job for the option of going into early retirement with 40.

Sorry I didn`t have any statistics, but stuff I pulled out of my memory from reports.
Should I find some I will post them.

Now how bout the US?
Seems like it was an unfortunate accident. The first officer that arrived tried to calmly ask him to leave several times. It doesn't look like there was any kind of brutality here, and I don't think the cops did anything wrong.
(July 19, 2013 at 9:56 am)plaincents822 Wrote: Seems like it was an unfortunate accident. The first officer that arrived tried to calmly ask him to leave several times. It doesn't look like there was any kind of brutality here, and I don't think the cops did anything wrong.

I kind of agree, but not totally. Is it really necessary to arrest, handcuff, and forcibly remove a mentally disabled person from a movie theater who is doing nothing more than occupying a $10 seat he didn't pay for? I don't think the cops should be fired or disciplined, but is this a good policy to have in the first place? I think the aide should have simply bought another ticket while waiting for the mom to show up.
Side issue: Moonlighting cops who work as security guards. Do they overstep the bounds of their security work because they have a badge?
(July 19, 2013 at 9:31 am)festive1 Wrote: Perusing today's newspaper, and I see this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ques...story.html

I can't imagine... The guy wouldn't leave his seat at a movie theater... So the moonlighting cops/security guards arrest him and forcibly attempt to remove him from the theater... He falls, gets smooshed by the cops landing on top of him... And dies...

Given our recent discussions on police brutality, I'm interested in everyone's opinion. The cops were "doing their job" getting him out of the theater... But he was obviously mentally handicapped and his aide asked for 5 minutes for his mother to get to the theater to help diffuse the situation... What is right in this situation? I think it's obvious no one was trying to kill the guy, but he died nonetheless... His death wasn't worth a $10 movie ticket...
Oh... and the theater gave the people whose movie was disrupted by this incident free passes... The whole thing is just disturbing.

Well, nothing more than a tragedy. It happens.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(July 19, 2013 at 10:27 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Well, nothing more than a tragedy. It happens.

Yes, but this was preventable. Had the police been properly trained to deal with the mentally disabled, I assure you this man would still be alive.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yet another example of the cop mentality which is to "go nuclear" whenever someone, for any reason, resists their "authority." The fact that criminal charges against these thugs were not considered is a prime example of what is wrong with this country.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2855 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Kallmann Syndrome Mechaghostman2 20 5086 April 25, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  NEVER speak to the police!!! Jehanne 0 473 September 19, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Man Dies after "Jesus is my Life" Tattoo Infected TheRealJoeFish 13 3879 June 5, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Interest/Desire & Actions Azu 14 1476 February 20, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Question for the PC police about racism... IanHulett 17 2732 January 6, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Aspergers Syndrome Edwardo Piet 53 4955 September 25, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Suspicious activity at California shooter's home not reported due to fear of racism. Catholic_Lady 34 4093 December 6, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  Are "logical" and "rational" objective classifications of a person's actions? One Above All 2 956 February 22, 2015 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: One Above All
  Aerotoxic Syndrome Aractus 0 530 February 18, 2015 at 8:52 am
Last Post: Aractus