Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MMLXII Years Ago
MMLXII Years Ago
Gaius Julius Caesar was murdered prior to a meeting of the senate.

In a letter from May of 44 to Caius Cassius, the gutless Marcus Tullius Cicero states:

Quote:As things have gone so far, it would seem that we have been delivered, not from a tyranny, but from a tyrant. For though we have slain the tyrant, we still watch that tyrant's every nod. And not only that, but measures which he himself would not carry through were he alive, we approve, because we suppose that he contemplated them.

Cicero of course was not a member of the conspiracy.  He slew no one.  He did not raise his hand against Caesar.  In 43 BC, one of Mark Antony's retainers cut his head off.
RE: MMLXII Years Ago
Ah, yes - beware the Ides of March. I thought of it a few days ago and two co-workers mentioned it today.

History isn't my subject but this one stuck in my head and those of two associates.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(March 16, 2017 at 12:19 am)Minimalist Wrote: Gaius Julius Caesar was murdered prior to a meeting of the senate.

In a letter from May of 44 to Caius Cassius, the gutless Marcus Tullius Cicero states:

Quote:As things have gone so far, it would seem that we have been delivered, not from a tyranny, but from a tyrant. For though we have slain the tyrant, we still watch that tyrant's every nod. And not only that, but measures which he himself would not carry through were he alive, we approve, because we suppose that he contemplated them.

Cicero of course was not a member of the conspiracy.  He slew no one.  He did not raise his hand against Caesar.  In 43 BC, one of Mark Antony's retainers cut his head off.

Cicero's attitude about tyrants was largely formed 20 years earlier, during the Cataline 'conspiracy'.  His main issue with tyrants was that he never got to be one himself.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
True, although Cicero did have some of the conspirators executed without trial which is a pretty tyranty thing to do.  Even the WLB hasn't done that.   Yet.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  22 years since Pope's apology Fake Messiah 1 323 March 23, 2022 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  50 years since Kent State Cecelia 11 1332 May 4, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Challenger, 31 years and 12 Stepping vorlon13 2 661 January 28, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Twenty-six years ago today ... Thumpalumpacus 27 3346 August 6, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Pre-Clovis Site in Texas Pushed Back Another 3,000 years. Minimalist 6 1023 July 24, 2016 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  3 Years today since Hitch died. Brian37 15 5726 December 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  36 years to commit a murder vorlon13 19 4293 October 2, 2014 at 10:08 am
Last Post: vorlon13