Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
36 years to commit a murder
36 years to commit a murder
(OK to move this, it's really a True Crime thread, and I didn't know where to post it)

36 years ago a disturbed young man poisoned the beverages at his former girlfriends home. As it turns out, she didn't drink the poison, but several family members did.

The poison was insidious, the intent was to cause cancer, years or decades in the future. As it happened, despite experimenting on his mothers pets, the poisoner misjudged the dosage.

Those who were poisoned were immediately sickened, and the incident was believed to be food poisoning. As it turned out, it was reported in the news, and a local homicide detective was immediately suspicious.

In his investigation, he found the veterinarian that treated the poisoned cats, and there was a connection between the cats, and the victims; a creepy ex-boyfriend.

As I recall, 2 people died early on and several years later, another committed suicide for fear of eventually contracting cancer.

I just saw in last Fridays newspaper, the sister of the intended victim did die of an induced cancer, 36 years after the poisoning.

The killer, was apprehended, and special medical tests had to be developed to connect the poison's effects to the victims as by the time appropriate samples were taken from the victims, there was no trace of the poison left.

After a trial and appeals, the killer was sentenced to the electric chair, but committed suicide in his cell 24 years ago before the sentence could be carried out.

I knew the detective in the case, if not for his suspicions, these murders might have gone totally undetected.
RE: 36 years to commit a murder
That's a very roundabout way of getting back at someone, but I suppose he hoped he'd never get caught if the woman just happened to get cancer and die later in life.

Committing suicide because they thought they might get cancer? That's seems really odd. Paranoia can do bad things to people.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

The suicide was also a father of one of the children killed. He slipped into addiction. A tragic life.

The sister who just passed was married 24 years (died on anniversary) and by all accounts, head worked hard to have as good a life under the circumstances as possible.

The detective in the case died a few years ago. I know the case was never far from his thoughts. It has haunted me at times too.
That would make a pretty good book, from the perspective of the detective. You know NaNoWrimo is coming up...perhaps you could put that tale to the page ( a fictional treatment, of course)?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Tomas Guillen wrote Toxic Love, a true crime book on the murders. It comes up on Ebay from time to time.

I had my copy autographed by the detective. The Forensic Files episode on TV obviously doesn't have all the details the book contains, and the detective told me a few things not in the book.

While he was incarcerated he drew some very disturbing pictures portraying his former girlfriend as a demon (reproduced in the book). He committed suicide by pretending to take his meds, and secretly accumulating them to overdose with. Saved the state the trouble of burning him up in the chair.

It's a chilling and profoundly disturbing case. That he succeeded in his plan after 36 years (and 24 years after he died) is a real pisser.

I've never met any of the survivors or their families, just the detective, but I feel as though I know all of them. This final murder has been quite a jolt.

There is a couple copies on Ebay now. It is an inexpensive paperback.

The Forensic Files series runs on CNN these days, not sure where in rotation the "Without a Trace" episode is. The series (for reasons unknown to me) is also called Medical Detectives. I suppose it is a rerun/syndication thing.

I think I've mangled a few details of the case in the OP, my apologies, it has been an upsetting thing. The detective passed away a few years ago (of an unrelated cancer) and he was a great guy, insisted I not call him 'sir' or 'Mr.' Sometimes he would share a police story with me, sometimes he wouldn't. I sure miss that.
(September 28, 2014 at 2:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That would make a pretty good book, from the perspective of the detective. You know NaNoWrimo is coming up...perhaps you could put that tale to the page ( a fictional treatment, of course)?

The writer in me was thinking this exact thing as I read the OP.

Vorlon, you might like this if you haven't found it already: The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York by Deborah Blum

It's a fascinating little bit of prohibition crime history and full of real poisonings both intentional and wantonly negligent.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 28, 2014 at 10:45 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(September 28, 2014 at 2:14 pm)Rhythm Wrote: That would make a pretty good book, from the perspective of the detective. You know NaNoWrimo is coming up...perhaps you could put that tale to the page ( a fictional treatment, of course)?

The writer in me was thinking this exact thing as I read the OP.

Toxic Love is a tough read. The coldness of the murderer, and the desperate struggle to save the victims is a very hard thing to handle. I have left out a great deal in this thread. Even the killers suicide while on death row is disturbing in that it precedes his final kill by 24 years.

The detective confided a small detail in the case to me that can be inferred from the book, but is not explicitly stated. As I grow older, I understand it slightly more and more, but it almost beats anything I've ever encountered.

The heart has it reasons . . .
What the fuck toxin did he use to do that? Oh wait never mind, there are hundreds of known toxic chemicals, most of which are carcinogenic. Still, what a sick mind.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
The chemical is used in cancer research to cause cancer in lab rats. Potent shit and it is rapidly metabolized by the body and leaves no trace.

A murder in Europe was the inspiration for this killer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  22 years since Pope's apology Fake Messiah 1 326 March 23, 2022 at 8:34 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  50 years since Kent State Cecelia 11 1341 May 4, 2020 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  MMLXII Years Ago Minimalist 3 496 March 16, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Challenger, 31 years and 12 Stepping vorlon13 2 672 January 28, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  Twenty-six years ago today ... Thumpalumpacus 27 3468 August 6, 2016 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Pre-Clovis Site in Texas Pushed Back Another 3,000 years. Minimalist 6 1026 July 24, 2016 at 1:34 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  3 Years today since Hitch died. Brian37 15 5742 December 26, 2014 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus