Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, it is a volcano people! Mt Etna
Hello, it is a volcano people! Mt Etna
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39295860

Not just news crews, but tourists were scrambling to run from the cloud of ash and rock. HELLO!

I bring this up not just about volcanos but even climate change. Humans really have a very narcissistic view of their place on this planet. We cannot defeat nature, we need to stop thinking we can. No I don't mean we cant work within in it, that we can do. But we only live on this planet, we don't own it and it isn't a pet you tame.

I can see news crews getting near it. I can see scientists getting near it, but really guys? Can anyone say Pompeii? I have the same WTF reaction when laypeople think wild animals like tigers or cobras make good pets. "Look at that cute tornado, let me tickle it under the chin"........ 'Hey great white sharks love to have their chin's rubbed"......

IT'S A VOLCANO PEOPLE!
RE: Hello, it is a volcano people! Mt Etna
Too close for comfort, eh?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
I used to live at 23 via Zuara, Motta san Anastasia, Provincia Catania, on the lower slopes of Etna. We could go up to the top of the apartment building and watch lava bombs flying through the air. One guy said "That one's going straight up!" "You mean it's not going left or right." "What?"
When I visited my now, x wife's family in Japan, we stopped at a tourist spot on a mountain over looking a valley across from Mt Fuji, about halfway up the Mt. The base of Fuji was gigantic from that POV, it stretched from left to right as far as I could see. And the city/town went right up to the base of Fuji. And all all I could think was "How the hell do humans live next to these monsters?" I was also thinking "Please don't do anything while I am here"........
(March 17, 2017 at 7:55 am)Brian37 Wrote: When I visited my now, x wife's family in Japan, we stopped at a tourist spot on a mountain over looking a valley across from Mt Fuji, about halfway up the Mt. The base of Fuji was gigantic from that POV, it stretched from left to right as far as I could see. And the city/town went right up to the base of Fuji. And all all I could think was "How the hell do humans live next to these monsters?" I was also thinking "Please don't do anything while I am here"........

If you climb Fujiyama you can buy a walking stick at the bottom and get it branded at each stop on the way up. Bragging rights are involved there.
(March 17, 2017 at 8:04 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 17, 2017 at 7:55 am)Brian37 Wrote: When I visited my now, x wife's family in Japan, we stopped at a tourist spot on a mountain over looking a valley across from Mt Fuji, about halfway up the Mt. The base of Fuji was gigantic from that POV, it stretched from left to right as far as I could see. And the city/town went right up to the base of Fuji. And all all I could think was "How the hell do humans live next to these monsters?" I was also thinking "Please don't do anything while I am here"........

If you climb Fujiyama you can buy a walking stick at the bottom and get it branded at each stop on the way up. Bragging rights are involved there.

Forget that it is a volcano, just the height alone for me would be a huge HELL NO. I hate high open mountains. I can handle places with railing which the tourist stop had. But long ago I visited my biological family in AZ, and me and my older sister and brother took a trip to the Grand Canyon. My brother wanted to walk down on that tiny trail down the side of the cliff. People fall of that thing every year. HELL NO. So as far as Fuji, that is a double HELL NO!
Etna was awesome! One day the air was exceptionally clear and it looked like Ringworld, with Etna being "the arch". Trippy!
(March 17, 2017 at 8:29 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Etna was awesome! One day the air was exceptionally clear and it looked like Ringworld, with Etna being "the arch". Trippy!

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at nature, even the destructive parts of it, because of it's power, but I simply don't want to be near it. When we were at that tourist spot, I was disappointed at the cloud cover because we could not see the top of Fuji across the valley. But that base was gigantic. I really have never seen one mountain with such a wide base.

I love reading about and seeing depictions of black holes too but I wouldn't want to get near the event horizon.
(March 17, 2017 at 8:36 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(March 17, 2017 at 8:29 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Etna was awesome! One day the air was exceptionally clear and it looked like Ringworld, with Etna being "the arch". Trippy!

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at nature, even the destructive parts of it, because of it's power, but I simply don't want to be near it. When we were at that tourist spot, I was disappointed at the cloud cover because we could not see the top of Fuji across the valley. But that base was gigantic. I really have never seen one mountain with such a wide base.

I love reading about and seeing depictions of black holes too but I wouldn't want to get near the event horizon.

I got the nick "Godzilla" while I was in Japan. A house fell on me and I didn't get a scratch. Living on fault lines has its faults.
(March 17, 2017 at 8:44 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 17, 2017 at 8:36 am)Brian37 Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I love looking at nature, even the destructive parts of it, because of it's power, but I simply don't want to be near it. When we were at that tourist spot, I was disappointed at the cloud cover because we could not see the top of Fuji across the valley. But that base was gigantic. I really have never seen one mountain with such a wide base.

I got the nick "Godzilla" while I was in Japan. A house fell on me and I didn't get a scratch. Living on fault lines has its faults.

Ba dum cha! Crap, my mom would roll her eyes at that joke and smile too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  knives don't stab people people stab people! Drich 135 5279 April 9, 2019 at 8:37 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Volcano ready to go Boom! Fidel_Castronaut 14 1514 August 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut